Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerBeam Pro calibration changing over time?
Quote | Reply
This is mostly a question of "has this happened to you?" for other PowerBeam Pro users, but if anyone else wants to offer their opinion (or tell me my FTP is too low and my seat is too high) then please feel free to chime in.

I've been noticing two trends with my PowerBeam Pro over the past several months: the time to spindown during calibration is increasing and my perceived effort at a given power is going up, and both of these trends seem to be accelerating. For the first two years I had the PowerBeam the flywheel would take 11-12 seconds to spindown every single ride every season of the year (I use TrainerRoad and calibrate every ride). Around last spring/summer the spindown started creeping up slightly to 13-14 seconds and has increased more rapidly the past two months to 18-19 seconds. I don't really know if that means anything, but I've also noticed that my ability to hold power as measured by the PowerBeam has decreased as the spindown time has increased.

A couple other things to note:
• I obviously have the older, ant+ only version of the PowerBeam. Bought it in 2013.
• I've been using the same trainer tire on the same wheel on the trainer for as long as I can remember.
• Every once in a while I have a Stages on my bike while on the trainer. As the spindown has been increasing I've been seeing bigger and bigger differences between my Stages power and the PowerBeam. They used to be within ±5 watts of each other, but lately the PowerBeam is reading 20-35 watts lower than the Stages. (I can rarely get powermatch to work and I don't know why)
• I haven't noticed any comparable drop in power when riding outside, as measured by Stages.

On the one hand I don't much care. Since TrainerRoad bases everything off FTP I figure there shouldn't be an issue as long as I retest/update my FTP every few weeks. On the other hand it seems crazy to me that power I would ride during a 2x20 just before the holidays I now can't hold for more than 5-6 minutes!

Anyone else experienced a change in their PowerBeam over time?
Quote Reply
Re: PowerBeam Pro calibration changing over time? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is older and I rarely calibrate...like maybe twice a year. Doesn't ever seem to be off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Powersync (very similar to the powerbeam) has always been way off (like 20-30 watts off) from my quarq, my stages, or my wife's quarq. I called CycleOps and talked to a few different people there, but nobody could give me a reason why. In my case, it always read higher than my other power meters.

We just go by the power meters installed on our bikes instead, and don't pay much attention to what the powersync spits out.

I wouldn't buy another powersync or powerbeam, personally. I was a big fan of powertap/cycleops/saris before, but i don't buy their products anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been pretty consistent for me, around 13 sec with the road bike. The TT bike is around 10 sec. Both have a indoor training tire on different Mavic aksium wheels. My watts is usually +/- 5 watts compared to powertap.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerBeam Pro calibration changing over time? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the differences were consistent then I wouldn't care. But the fact that it's trending, and only in one direction, makes me think something is off.

Seems like my experience is probably in the minority but I also think I won't be buying another cycleops product in the future. I'd be game for a direct drive trainer but it's tough to justify the cost since I can still train on the PowerBeam, even with the downward trend. Plus I'd rather put that money toward a Pioneer or Power2Max to replace my Stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you measure the spindown time with a stopwatch? I've never seen the data that comes from a calibration spindown on my PBP.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: PowerBeam Pro calibration changing over time? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Do you measure the spindown time with a stopwatch? I've never seen the data that comes from a calibration spindown on my PBP.

It comes up within the Trainer Road program: click Spindown, ride between 18-22 mph for 2 minutes, coast, after the spindown is complete TR will spit out "Spindown Time: XX.XXX s"

This morning the spindown was only in the 17 second range but the calibration still seems progressively off. Before the downward trend I typically had to ride in the 310-325 watt range to get my heart rate up to around 145. This morning I was putting out what felt like the same kind of effort, riding at 145, at what the PowerBeam said was 243 watts.

Maybe I've had some unexplained and precipitous drop in fitness (only in biking though?), or maybe I should start looking around the classifieds for a Kickr. Bigger picture though, I enjoy riding and got a workout in so I can't complain too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see.

I use the Joule GPS to do my spindown and it always seemingly takes about ~30 sec. (total estimate).

If it were me I'd inflate to 95psi and spin to exactly 20mph for 2 minutes and use my iPhone stopwatch to clock the rolldown time. Write it down and do the same test in a week or two. This would give a second measurement and you could likely determine whether the spindown consistency issue is with TR or the PBP. Also make sure the rear brakes aren't rubbing.

My PBP and PowerTap C1 are always within 10w of each other.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Jan 24, 17 10:07
Quote Reply