Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

And Now For Something Completely Different - A Question For The Guitar Players Of The LR...
Quote | Reply
Could something like this actually help someone just starting out learning the guitar?

https://www.kickstarter.com/...conds?ref=nav_search

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - A Question For The Guitar Players Of The LR... [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Learn to play guitar in 60 seconds”

That tag line alone makes it hard to take this product seriously. There’s a whole lot more to learning to play the guitar than just being shown via LEDs where to put your fingers. (Those flashing LEDs look very distracting. Lord help anyone with epilepsy who tries this thing.)

I learned the old-fashioned way—starting back in 1967—with a music teacher and Mel Bay’s classic series of guitar instruction books. Modern technology and the Internet definitely make it much easier to learn to play these days without a teacher. (I’m kind of jealous in that regard.)

When Peter Frampton attaches one of these to his Les Paul Custom, I’ll take another look at it. :)
Quote Reply
Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - A Question For The Guitar Players Of The LR... [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
“Learn to play guitar in 60 seconds”

That tag line alone makes it hard to take this product seriously. There’s a whole lot more to learning to play the guitar than just being shown via LEDs where to put your fingers. (Those flashing LEDs look very distracting. Lord help anyone with epilepsy who tries this thing.)

I learned the old-fashioned way—starting back in 1967—with a music teacher and Mel Bay’s classic series of guitar instruction books. Modern technology and the Internet definitely make it much easier to learn to play these days without a teacher. (I’m kind of jealous in that regard.)

When Peter Frampton attaches one of these to his Les Paul Custom, I’ll take another look at it. :)

Pretty much what this guy said. Unfortunately there are no short cuts to learning guitar. There isn't anything to help you through the sore fingers and frustration when your fingers just can't do what the chord requires...yet. Put the time in, and know that those that learn quickly are gifted and we all hate them! 35 years later and I'm still learning!!
Quote Reply
Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - A Question For The Guitar Players Of The LR... [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this could be a supplement - but depending on how far one wants to go with guitar starting by developing good habits for practice and playing is crucial
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everyone else said.

Best resource I've found for learning guitar is YouTube. My wife is finding the same thing (she got a ukelele from santa and has learned a couple of simple songs already

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it could be beneficial.

I actually learned to play the drums largely by playing Rock Band. Similar concept. It just cuts through all of the difficulty of reading, and then transferring over to the instrument. It won't make you a great guitar player, but I think it would help.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know that it will "teach" anyone how to play guitar.

The only advantage I see to it is that it can make it easier for people to get started, spark an interest and then they work on it from there. As others have said the tagline makes me equate this with rebranded Chinese clinchers that claim to save 9 minutes over an IM.
Quote Reply