Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will using my race wheel on a trainer ruin it?
Quote | Reply
I have been using my race wheels (Bontrager Aeolus 9.0) more and more frequently in the last couple of years for training.

It started when I first read about Dave Mirra and his views on the subject. I figure I paid a lot for them so why not ride them? They are cool looking and I enjoy having on my bike. It does seem a little silly just to have them sit in my closet for approximately 360 days a year and only bring them out for races.

So anyways, besides outdoor riding I have also used them on my trainer. Does using them on the trainer hurt them any more than riding outside?

(I don't care about the tire, it needs replacing this season anyway)
Quote Reply
Re: Will using my race wheel on a trainer ruin it? [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:
I have been using my race wheels (Bontrager Aeolus 9.0) more and more frequently in the last couple of years for training.

It started when I first read about Dave Mirra and his views on the subject. I figure I paid a lot for them so why not ride them? They are cool looking and I enjoy having on my bike. It does seem a little silly just to have them sit in my closet for approximately 360 days a year and only bring them out for races.

So anyways, besides outdoor riding I have also used them on my trainer. Does using them on the trainer hurt them any more than riding outside?

I think the general consensus is that you'll put less stress on a carbon wheel on a trainer than outside. As long as you don't care about the tire (trainer tire, older tire, etc.), you should be good.

I have ENVEs and I asked customer support if a trainer would ruin the tire and they assured me that it was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my Flo CC wheels to reside permanently on the bike, and I do about 80% of my riding indoors. Canadian responded that this is OK for Flo wheels in an earlier thread on this topic: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=4875752#p4875752

If you wanted to be 100% sure, contact Bontrager. But, I bet it is fine for most wheels out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have zero issue using my Flo 90 on my trainer, except i use the stock rear wheel that came with my P3 because i have a trainer specific tire on that wheel. I have read that running a normal tire on the trainer is fine but it does wear it out more quickly due to excess heat (what i have been told, never verified personally.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fine for the wheel, lousy for the tire.

On a trainer, the rim/spokes are bearing almost no load, no braking, and no potholes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Will using my race wheel on a trainer ruin it? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Fine for the wheel, lousy for the tire.
I think this is highly dependent on the trainer and user. For example, I ride a 4KGP2 on a Kinetic trainer. After thousands of miles on the trainer, I cannot detect any discernible wear. Others, by contrast, see tire shavings behind their trainers and flat spots on their tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only concern would be sweat dripping on the front wheel and the salt pooling and drying around the front hub and spoke nipples.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Will using my race wheel on a trainer ruin it? [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it's OK. I use my Jet 6 Powertap on my trainer because I think the powertap hub is more accurate than the computrainer. I just have a training wheel on the front but I still have a towel on the handlebars and a sweat net too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ruin it? Doubtful.

Reduce the life expectancy of the wheel? Highly probable.

Wheels don't last forever. They experience wear and tear just like everything else with moving parts under a load. If it was up to me, I'd be using my stock/ cheap wheel on the trainer and save the race wheel for race season.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:

I'd say you need to race more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you will most likely ruin your trainer :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had this question myself! Just hadn't gotten around to posting. Seems we're getting mixed answers.
Quote Reply
Re: Will using my race wheel on a trainer ruin it? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously??? The stress on a wheel while using a trainer is tiny compared to the road. Different stresses on the frame, sure... but not the wheel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, my Flo 90 and 60 stays on my bike all the time (even on the trainer), I don't even have a pair of training weels for my bike.

All I do, is change the tire to a training tire, but sometimes, when it's time to change the back tire, I don't even bother to change it to the trainer tire. Instead, I use the regular tire during the winter season and change it for a new for the first outside ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It started when I first read about Dave Mirra and his views on the subject

Out of curiosity, where did you read this at? I was very intrigued with everything he did and was wondering what he had to say about it
Quote Reply
Re: Will using my race wheel on a trainer ruin it? [tcaldwell369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recall exactly where I read it but he was always riding his race wheels (even a disc) and wearing an aero helmet outside.

He used rollers pretty much exclusively and his race wheels never came off.

Regarding outside use, I also believe a bike handles differently with deep aero wheels than it does with traditional training wheels. It is silly not to be used to this difference when your race rolls around.
Quote Reply