Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I cut the cord/Roku newbie looking for tips
Quote | Reply
Got tired of paying the cable/dish bill and moving back and forth between the two to make it affordable. I don't watch a lot of TV so when I realized the effective cost per viewing, I decided to try living without it. Living without TV all in all has gone better than I thought. But that need to watch a sporting event or that one evening every now and then you just want to veg out and watch TV (not a movie) led me to Roku to meet that need.

I have an amazon prime membership already, so I have that content access on my Roku. I did a free trial with Sling so I could watch the college football national championship and they hooked me in for $20 per month but I can cancel that whenever. So far with NFL playoffs, and college basketball, I am thinking I will keep Sling. In summer, I plan to let it go.

Any experienced Roku users with any other tips? Any must have free channels? I am a total newb on this and appreciate any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: I cut the cord/Roku newbie looking for tips [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Return the ROKU and grab an Amazon Fire TV box. Look up Kodi and Kodi add-ons. It will be all you ever need. Legality is some what questionable. You are streaming pirated media etc but you aren't downloading it. Not sure that's illegal, but some might have a problem with it morally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Combination of Google Chromecast and Amazon Firestick with Kodi for us. Netflix is the only app we pay for and I tend to use Chromecast for that because it is much easier to browse for stuff on the phone and then cast it then at is to use the Amazon remote.

Just picked up the firestick with Kodi this Christmas. Have been watching amazon shows on it and use the Kodi app pretty frequently. NFL games are a bit tough to get on it, hard to find a good stream. Watching after the fact is pretty easy. Even got to see Rhonda Rousey get her ass kicked one day after the fight.

We have a Roku in our bedroom, it works well, we only use Netflix on it. I considered Sling TV, but Netflix is the only tv I have ever paid for, another $20 per month for Sling was too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can stomach forking over ~200 bones for it, the just-released 2017 Nvidia Shield TV is pretty awesome.

It's the first Android / Chromecast -enabled video box that has the Amazon Video app legitimately built in.

Dunno how they swung that deal with Amazon (I never thought such a thing would happen), but it works great. Netflix and all the other various video apps are available too (minus Apple TV stuff of course).

I'm not a Kodi user myself, but from what I understand, that's easy to set up on these Shield boxes.

If you are a home-automation guy, this latest Shield box will be getting an update sometime soon that will allow it to be a SmartThings hub too - not sure of those details, but that would be a cool option to have.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did the same thing 3-4 years ago. Went with 2 Roku devices, but don't use them to the max. Netflix & Amazon (get Prime if you don't have it) are definitely the most watched in the house.
Quote Reply
Re: I cut the cord/Roku newbie looking for tips [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Return the ROKU and grab an Amazon Fire TV box. Look up Kodi and Kodi add-ons. It will be all you ever need. Legality is some what questionable. You are streaming pirated media etc but you aren't downloading it. Not sure that's illegal, but some might have a problem with it morally.

This.
Quote Reply