Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders?
Quote | Reply
http://bozone.com/...estricting-bicycles/

A state legislator has proposed that bicycles and people be banned from being on a road outside a municipality...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's just coincidence, but the first four letters of that site are "bozo".

Made my day!
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bozo is the nickname for Bozeman. It is an appropriate description of the proposed legislation too.

#swimmingmatters
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how legislators regularly seem to want to resolve issues by denying a minority of their rights. A pox on all of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so much for libertarianism.
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how legislators regularly seem to want to resolve issues by denying a minority of their rights. A pox on all of them.

To play Devil's advocate, how is riding a bike a right? I am actually REALLY surprised this doesn't happen more often. Who would complain? The small amount of cyclists? I would imagine that the politicians would gain WAY more votes from doing that than they would lose....I just hope it doesn't happen but I don't see it as a "right".
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To play Devil's advocate, how is riding a bike a right? I am actually REALLY surprised this doesn't happen more often. Who would complain? The small amount of cyclists? I would imagine that the politicians would gain WAY more votes from doing that than they would lose....I just hope it doesn't happen but I don't see it as a "right".
Mark

Devil's advocate again: How is driving a right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bill hasn't been drafted yet.
You can call Barry Usher (the guy writing the bill) at 406 252 2888. Ask him stop work on the bill. And please be polite!

Probably helps if you live in MT.

Barry is the representative for Laurel. Which even by Montana standards is a smaller town. Word is, he proposed the bill because he's afraid he'll hit someone on the road.
Which begs the question. Isn't he afraid of hitting another car as well?

As to the devils advocate:
Roads are paid for with tax dollars from all citizens. Until the government provides all working citizens with a functioning car or alternative walking/cycling lanes, there really is no reason to keep bikes and pedestrians off the road. You would be shooting the economy in the foot by keeping people home bound.
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurel? So he is one of those that has been complaining about riders on Buffalo Trail for years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother-in-law is in the MT Senate and was a Representative the past couple of terms. He said there are always a ton of eye rolling bills proposed by senators and reps that never stand a chance. That said, I'll mention this too him and see if he's in any position to do anything to make sure it doesn't pass.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
My brother-in-law is in the MT Senate and was a Representative the past couple of terms. He said there are always a ton of eye rolling bills proposed by senators and reps that never stand a chance. That said, I'll mention this too him and see if he's in any position to do anything to make sure it doesn't pass.

I'm sure that's true, I'll bet their are a few good bills that hardly go to nowheresville as well.

Seriously, gotta love a state where they convene the house and senate for legislation every other year, for 3 months. Wanna be a full time legislator? Don't go to Montana!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ok with not having full time legislators. I mean, look at Washington DC. All of the reps and senators are full time and they can't get anything done.

Anyway, there is a good bill being put forth by Frank Garner of Kalispell. It's House Bill 267. This would change the the verbiage of the requirements of a car when passing a bike from "without endangering the person riding" to a minimum of 3 ft if going less than 35 and 5 ft if greater than 35mph. Bike Walk MT sent out an email on their list serve asking for support and to contact individuals on the Transportation committe

https://www.votervoice.net/...paigns/49289/respond

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Jan 20, 17 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhepp wrote:
Quote:
Mark

I don't think that is either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was serious. I LOVE the part time legislator concept, and, practice as it is in MT. It should be that way everywhere (as the framers envisioned). Sorry, Lavender room stuff - I'll shut up.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second that. I lived in MT for seven years and these kind of bills popped up regularly, and most never went anywhere.

My first year there, three representatives were working on a proposal for Montana to succeed from the United States (which is actually illegal).

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
The bill hasn't been drafted yet.
You can call Barry Usher (the guy writing the bill) at 406 252 2888. Ask him stop work on the bill. And please be polite!

Probably helps if you live in MT.

Barry is the representative for Laurel. Which even by Montana standards is a smaller town. Word is, he proposed the bill because he's afraid he'll hit someone on the road.
Which begs the question. Isn't he afraid of hitting another car as well?

As to the devils advocate:
Roads are paid for with tax dollars from all citizens. Until the government provides all working citizens with a functioning car or alternative walking/cycling lanes, there really is no reason to keep bikes and pedestrians off the road. You would be shooting the economy in the foot by keeping people home bound.

Are you allowed to walk down the middle of a freeway lane?
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You certainly are not allowed to walk down the middle of a freeway.
However, in Montana, you are allowed to walk or ride a bike on the shoulder of every road. Even the interstate. We have so few roads, that there is almost never an alternative route.

There are a handful of (low population) states that have the same law in effect. It makes sense. If there is another road to take, sure, you can ban cyclists/walkers/runners from the major highways. If there is only one road (very common in MT), then it has to be a road for all users.
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, at one point when living in Denver (we lived in MT for 5 years) I wanted to make it a requirement your car or truck had all wheel or 4 wheel drive if there was snow or ice on the road. (before I actually thought about it). The amount of wrecks in SW Denver was mind boggling. With the income of the area I could actually see this passing. Or you have to take third level roads if you do not have a proper vehicle. I am sure billions were lost in one winter alone. Heck, half of the time biking 10 miles in the foothills was faster than a car. Crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhepp wrote:
Quote:
Mark

Exactly.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill to be redrafted...
http://billingsgazette.com/...3e-1dbb76eb7df5.html

He was "surprised" Montana had that many miles of roads without shoulders. Ignorance is bliss.

#swimmingmatters
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a student at Montana State university. This would have been terrible, it would have literally eliminated my ability to ride out of town, because all the roads have a limited shoulder.
Quote Reply
Re: No cycling in Montana on roads w/o shoulders? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
mhepp wrote:
Quote:
Mark

Exactly.

Driving is not a right, it's a privilege that requires a license. I get where you guys are going with this but it's not a good argument. Licenses cost money, there are vehicle taxes and licensing fee's, liability/comprehensive insurance, ect.

To my knowledge there no government entity that's requires an operators license for a bicycle.
Quote Reply