Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eating habits for triathlon and endurance training
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks-

I'd like to hear some tips and favorite ways of eating that provide clean and healthy fuel for training and recovery.

I changed my diet (at 40) to the way that I used to eat when I was training and racing seriously in my 20's and WOW, suddenly (after about 2 weeks) I'm injury free and waking up at 0530 (without the use of an alarm clock) and ready to go for a run.

The most substantial changes have been:
1) Discontinued all Alcohol, and
2) Discontinued all Coffee (and switched to a max of 3 cups of caffeinated tea per day).

Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating habits for triathlon and endurance training [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xsive wrote:
2) Discontinued all Coffee

Youre a much stronger man than I.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xsive wrote:

2) Discontinued all Coffee (and switched to a max of 3 cups of caffeinated tea per day).

This sounds miserable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xsive wrote:
Hi Folks-

I'd like to hear some tips and favorite ways of eating that provide clean and healthy fuel for training and recovery.

I changed my diet (at 40) to the way that I used to eat when I was training and racing seriously in my 20's and WOW, suddenly (after about 2 weeks) I'm injury free and waking up at 0530 (without the use of an alarm clock) and ready to go for a run.

Thanks for sharing.

How did you manage to change things around? I'm suffering with bad eating habits and what I'm eating. Considering all the training I'm doing no amount is showing any gains or change to body composition. I'd be interested in hearing about why you decided, and how you managed, to change back to your old eating habits. I've never established proper eating habits so I'm starting with a dietitian/nutritionist soon to see if that will help me.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating habits for triathlon and endurance training [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
xsive wrote:

This sounds miserable.

X 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat a variety of foods. Mostly plants.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Eating habits for triathlon and endurance training [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kennykill wrote:
xsive wrote:
Hi Folks-

Thanks for sharing.

How did you manage to change things around? I'm suffering with bad eating habits and what I'm eating. Considering all the training I'm doing no amount is showing any gains or change to body composition. I'd be interested in hearing about why you decided, and how you managed, to change back to your old eating habits. I've never established proper eating habits so I'm starting with a dietitian/nutritionist soon to see if that will help me.

I would like to tell you that I have some formula that I can share, but the truth is that I simply decided that I was going to remove XYZ from my diet to see if anything yielded results.

It's not as though I was consuming excessive alcohol, but since we got a wine subscription then it made drinking 1-3 glasses every night a routine. As for the coffee, I was up to 6-8 cups per day. That much coffee can impair your electrolyte balance (diuretic).

The concept from my 20's was "eat the rainbow" with fruits and vegetables. Despite eating more decadent foods and attending dinner parties (at 40, somehow that's just what most of your peers do), I never got too far away from eating fresh fruits and veggies for at least 40% of my daily calories (although ideally, I think that my caloric intake should be closer to 60% fresh fruits and veggies.

One more thing that I should note is that I removed milk. Not dairy- just milk- because I think yogurt is good for me, and I really enjoy eating cheese. I have a habit of eating 2-3 bowls of cereal in the mornings and almost all cereals mix as well with yogurt as milk, so that alone allows me to remove liquid milk.

I should also remove cereal, and I've been eating more oatmeal and eggs in the mornings, but the cereal is so convenient and tasty where most mornings are hectic and time pressed.

PS: Until I get my running mileage back up and closer to 50 mpw, then I will continue to ignore ice cream too.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating habits for triathlon and endurance training [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
xsive wrote:
2) Discontinued all Coffee

Youre a much stronger man than I.

This.

To the OP.. Me:

Kill my own meat (fish mostly), plus backyard chickens
Grow my own veggies and fruit (Im lucky enough to have an acre to work with).

Bake my own bread daily (wild yeast sourdough)

Brew my own beer.

Organic, feel great, pretty much eat as much as I want.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating habits for triathlon and endurance training [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Bake my own bread daily (wild yeast sourdough)

There is a lot of evidence that the enzymatic reaction in flour fermented naturally with a sourdough starter is very good for your gut and you in general. I recommend learning to do this to everyone, and it is quite easy. By far the hardest part is making it look "nice". Just don't forget salt.
Quote Reply