Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: do it yourself ironman? [AquaBikePatti65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AquaBikePatti65 wrote:

I like this idea. As a matter of fact, my husband doesn't think I have any business signing up for an Ironman event unless I actually can do the distance in "practice." If you guys do Lake Placid, let me know, I might do it too if it was later this year!

A friend of mine did one of my self-supported Ironmans with me, except cut the run down to 13 miles. His goal was to use it as a training day for his upcoming Ironman Florida. He was able to test out all of his nutrition and gear, but not get too beat up from the run. He turned around a month later an PR'd at Florida with a sub-10. Really smart idea!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
I do a few Olympic do it yourself training workouts, but since I have to drive to and from the pool, and take my time during the bike/run transition it’s just really a tough training day. As others have said, the time to recover, and subsequent lost training makes a training IM sort of impractical. Three of us once did a half IM; pool swim and had to drive to T1, but we still called it a half IM.

Why did you have to drive to T1? T1 can be at the pool, yes the start location might not be ideal due to traffic , but it's still distance with a clock running. Lock bike in car or on bike rack during transitions
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That others know what you do is of great concern to you. Ironic.
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:
I do a few Olympic do it yourself training workouts, but since I have to drive to and from the pool, and take my time during the bike/run transition it’s just really a tough training day. As others have said, the time to recover, and subsequent lost training makes a training IM sort of impractical. Three of us once did a half IM; pool swim and had to drive to T1, but we still called it a half IM.

Why did you have to drive to T1? T1 can be at the pool, yes the start location might not be ideal due to traffic , but it's still distance with a clock running. Lock bike in car or on bike rack during transitions

We were thinking of each having a SUV in the Y parking lot, off to the side, and using that as transition but opted for a transition setup in the driveway of one of our houses a few miles away. And we actually didn’t run from the Y pool deck to the car, more like a fast walk. We also all stayed together during the bike and most of the run. Basically a Half IM training event.
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I openly applaud your gumption. I did this with some long trail runs; heck, I still remember those solo efforts. I still believe they made me tougher. I say, HECK YES!!!! Give your effort an official race title; mine was the DaveManCaveMan. tell as many friends as possible, have them check up on you during the event. Does the event "really count as a real event?" of course it does, if you do it sincerely. and yes, you get braggin' rights. I will shave down, put on a texas flag speedo, hold up a stupid sign, and come support you.
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So why does anybody ever enter races? Isn’t it always “cheaper” just to do it on your own? Zero chance I ever do an Ironman distance without the pomp and circumstance of the actual race.
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a DIY half IM as a test before signing up for a full IM as I’d never taken part in any form of triathlon or race and it was a free, convenient way of getting a feeling for what it was about before taking the plunge.

A DIY full IM would be another matter though - I think it would be hard to push 100% and one would end up just treating it as a training brick.
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of people do it.Some even break records while they are at it.

https://raitratasepp.ee/...riathlons-in-40-days
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck!! I'm doing one in a couple months, indoors!
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to OP and all other athletes who chimed in with fun and positive stories of long-arse <events>, great reading and motivation. Because all 2020 races cancelled, and my HIM #2 in Sep likely cancelled, I decided to do a selfie solo HIM distance. Did about 73 miles total on the event, and had a great time.

Edit: dropped the race report, realize it doesn't belong here

Our tri training team has been doing mini-events also, sprint and Oly. Casual not-timed transitions.
Last edited by: ssylwester: Aug 8, 20 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [ssylwester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my own HIM last April, glad I did as not much else around and it keeps the streak going. Gearing up for an end of year Marathon for the streak too.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Vegan Cyclist did a "Off the couch Ironman" video, its well worth the 38 minutes. Best part is the end with his son (about 29 1/2 minutes in if you want short version). Certainly well worth it in VC's view just for that! Hope it goes well for you!

OFF THE COUCH IRONMAN (Road Cyclist tries an Ironman triathlon on NO TRAINING!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95fOvpinVs
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [abrowntd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice.
Thanks for pasting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was training for what would have been my first tri in 10 years. It was a 1/2 IM scheduled for April 5.
I carried all I needed for the bike.
My run was two 5 mile loops and a 3 mile loop, all going past my house so I could top off my bottles.
You could loop the bike for topping off your water/fuel.
Quote Reply
Re: do it yourself ironman? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
M~ wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I don't see the point but to each their own.

1. No entry fees
2. True test of mental and physical toughness (nobody to draft off of, nobody cheering you on)
3. If you need to bail for whatever reason you aren't out $700+
4. If you need to move your race from one week to another, pretty easy to do.
5. Do it in the off season when you don't get hosed on hotel fees.

I could likely go on if you want.

Still not seeing the point but I don't really care what others do. I mean, if I run 13.1 miles in training I would never say I ran a half marathon. A half marathon signifies I did an organized race of some sort. Otherwise, it's just a training run.

I get the OP wants to test himself without the barriers of being locked into a race entry and logistics (which you note) but I, as in me personally, don't get that mindset. I'm just not wired like that. What everyone else does is of little concern to me so at the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think or what he does. I just don't get it. All I'm sayin'.
I am genuinely curious if you "don't see the point", why not scroll on by this thread?
Quote Reply

Prev Next