Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Profile Design 24 Series
Quote | Reply
I am in the midst of doing research on a new set of race wheels. There are the regular culprits popping up, but I have come across some alternatives. One of which are the Profile Design 24 series. The reviews look good, but was looking for some real world opinions. A new set of 78s can be had for $1500, which is as budget friendly as a pair of used 808s. Would like to hear from se that have ridden them. And of course any other suggestions for this age old question of which wheels to buy, would be appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 24 Series [GwennyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A set of FLOs will cost you about $1200, so they should be on your list of options.

That said, Profile Design's wheelsets don't get a lot of love, and I'm not sure why.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picked up a pair of the 58s a couple of months ago and love them. The braking is just amazing, and I have owned tons of different carbon clinchers. I got mine on sale, so look around. Met one of the guys who helped design them and heard the explanation of how they had the "average" rider speed in mind...not a 40+ MPH ProTour sprint. I have noticed a slight average MPH increase on a few of my regular routes when using these wheels (power and weather conditions being equal).

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden and owned a lot of wheels and the Profiles are easily my favourite wheel at the moment. Even excluding price they are really good.

There is anecdotal evidence that they are very fast and certainly didn't feel any slower than my Enves, Reynolds, Flos, etc. Where they really come up trumps is stopping and crosswind stability. The Reynolds also do very well in those areas but without boring you too much there are structural design details about the Profiles that I prefer over the Reynolds. The Flos are a bit porky and I've found that both the Flos and Enves can be downright terrifying in certain conditions.

I haven't tried the last two generations of Zipps but I'd be amazed if they out perform the Profiles and of an interesting note the new Enve 7.8s are closer in shape to the Profiles than previous Enves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep your eye out in the classifieds I was able to get a pair of 58/24 basically brand new for $630 shipped. I wanted the 58/78 mixed set but couldn't pass up the sweet deal. I see them pop up fro $700-800 from time to time. Also when I was looking a I saw a few sets on ebay brand new for around a thousand and that's not bad for a brand new set.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A set of 78mms is on Trisports for $1124 shipped. Or $955 if you can find one of the 15% off codes that are everywhere...
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Jan 19, 17 5:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I use the TwentyFour-38 as our every day training wheel. The stopping is just as good as our Zipp (non-ShowStopper) wheels, and brake modulation (TRP and Shimano) is fine. They are durable. Spoke nipples are external, so truing them—although infrequent—is quick and easy. They are shallow, so handling is never an issue. They are relatively light, and spinning them up does not feel labored.

I think they are a no-compromise, good wheel. I'd recommend them without qualification.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 24 Series [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking to get the 58/78, but I'm having trouble finding that combo on sale. Anyone have any experience with riding 78/78? Curious about the handling in wind with the deeper wheel on front
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could do a set of 58's and then just add a wheel cover to the back. That's what I am planning on doing for races next season.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Dimond with 78 front and back. In the wind all the time. These are the best wheels I have owned when it comes to wind. I have Zipp, Reynolds and Roval in my stable. They are a very good wheels.
Quote Reply