Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ski or Snowboard with Kids
Quote | Reply
Next month I'll be taking my 3 boys (ages 10, 8, and 8) to ski (maybe snowboard) at Winterplace in West Virginia. They have only been skiing once before, 2 years ago. It went OK, but it only ended up being one day due to weather. 2 of the 3 boys could get down a hill one notch above the bunny hill without falling. This time we'll be hitting the sloes 2-3 times depending on how well it goes. We'll be taking a 90 minute class on the first day. It will just be me on the slopes with all three of them, so I'm thinking it would be best for them all to ski. My oldest would probably prefer to snowboard, but to keep them all in one manageable area I was thinking skiing is the best option. I'll definitely be skiing, since I'm already comfortable on skis and they just seem more conducive to helping the boys out.

Has anyone else done a similar trip with kids? Aside from ski verse snowboard, let me know if you have any other tips. For example, I'm thinking I'll have everyone wear the same brightly covered hat to help me identify them all quickly as they spread out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski or Snowboard with Kids [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they only skied once two years ago, you might want to think about a longer time in ski school on the first day. They will be more confident and everyone will have more fun on the rest of the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has come in handy a few times, have a plan for when somebody gets separated and make sure every knows the plan. It can happen pretty easy, one kid is ahead of everybody and somebody in the back falls and needs your assistance.

When my kids were small they knew if they found themselves alone on the mountain to head to the closest lift loading area and just wait for me. It might take some time for me to locate them but it’s better than having them looking for you while you are looking for them, that could go on all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were in your position, I would contact the mountain's guest services and see if they offer a package where the kids (and you, if you are a bit rusty) have a lesson each day you're on the snow. It will make it much more enjoyable for the kids if they can make it down the runs without being terrified.

As for yhe snowboarding: if that's what he wants to do, let him, just get him the boarding lessons.

And no hats: balaclavas and *helmets*: I was never a helmet guy but since I've gotten back into skiing, I've changed my ways... it's just cheap insurance. Plus, a guy I volunteer with hit a tree some years ago, and while he has a pretty serious TBI, had he not been wearing a helmet, he'd be dead.

- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Ski or Snowboard with Kids [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
If they only skied once two years ago, you might want to think about a longer time in ski school on the first day. They will be more confident and everyone will have more fun on the rest of the trip.

I'll see what they have available. When I was a kid they just threw us down a mountain.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski or Snowboard with Kids [frint40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frint40 wrote:
This has come in handy a few times, have a plan for when somebody gets separated and make sure every knows the plan. It can happen pretty easy, one kid is ahead of everybody and somebody in the back falls and needs your assistance.

When my kids were small they knew if they found themselves alone on the mountain to head to the closest lift loading area and just wait for me. It might take some time for me to locate them but it’s better than having them looking for you while you are looking for them, that could go on all day.

Yeah, it will get interesting. We'll definitely have a plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski or Snowboard with Kids [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
And no hats: balaclavas and *helmets*: I was never a helmet guy but since I've gotten back into skiing, I've changed my ways... it's just cheap insurance. Plus, a guy I volunteer with hit a tree some years ago, and while he has a pretty serious TBI, had he not been wearing a helmet, he'd be dead.

- Jeff

When I came up with the hat idea, I forgot we'd be wearing helmets. I learned that last time we went. Luckily I did "splurge" on the helmet rental. My son went head over heels once and a helmet was crucial. I may have them wear something reflective, like the belts people run with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't help with the management part, but as someone that started skiing at 5 and boarding at about 28, being a skier made the transition super easy. I think it's harder to learn to ski than board, but once you get the physics down it translates well. And now I have the option of doing either (although with so little snow time, I usually end up on the board)

If I had ids I'd have em on skis first then they can decide what to do later.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jan 18, 17 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half day in snowboard school then you spend the rest of the trip cruising with them.

My spent 45 minutes in snowboard when he was 8 and that was it.

Me and/or the wife ride with him or, if available, he rides with his friends. He's 12 now.

You have to push them a little.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often ski with a pack of kids and it's not that hard to keep track of them. Just set a meeting place and go.

Consider a snack or two in their pockets. Between skiing and the cold temps sometimes they need a little booster to finish up a rough run. (We save Halloween candy for this job).

I also like to have a platypus collapsible water bottle in my pocket for a little hydration.

I would let the kids choose if they want to ski or snowboard. It's not a big deal to travel in mixed packs.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did both for many years and now board exclusively mainly due to the aches and pains that skiing does to my knees. Plus I can leisurely board with my wife who is a good but slow skier.

My three kids all learned to ski before snowboarding but if you want my opinion the learning curve on snowboarding is so much faster to master than skiing - particularly for flexible little people that are much closer to the ground. Once they get the balance and ability to turn and stop they can go down all but the steepest slopes on the mountain on a board. Whereas It would take tons more time and experience to handle the same runs on skis.

Although you didn't state your ability level and which discipline you prefer, my suggestion is you ski the first day to get familiar with the slopes and movements again. Since you mentioned going multiple days, try boarding the second day and then let the kids pick which to do on day 3 if your still on the mountain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into half day group lessons. It may be more cost effective. I'll second the helmet recommendation. I've been using one the past several years and really like it.

Enjoy!

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good advice above. I used to be a ski guide and also spent some time as a rep/guide for school ski trips so have some experience looking after big groups of kids on the slopes.

Clear plan for what to do if you get separated is key. I also used to make the kids ski in fairly short sections to keep everybody together I.e. Every time you stop you point out where the next stop point is going to be, whether that's by a lift, a sign, a restaurant, etc. Helps if you have a reasonably good handle on the slope layout.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether the kids ski or board, at that age they can make their own decision. They will get competent at boarding quicker - even as an adult it only takes ~3 days for the average person to master the basics of linking turns and stopping, for kids they grasp it much quicker particularly if they have experience of surfing or skateboarding. Skiing takes a bit longer but kids still get the basics pretty quickly, it just takes a lot longer to master it fully.

For you I would stick to skiing if that's what you know. You don't want to be going through the boarding learning curve while trying to keep an eye on the kids, and on skis you're better placed for getting across to pick up the kids, giving them a tow on flat bits if they're tired, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have three of similar ages- and we have skied as a family for a few years now. My biggest tip would be to establish as a ground rule that everyone is responsible for their own gear. That means schlepping it around, getting it on and off, and racking it appropriately. A little investment in teaching your expectations about how to do these things on day one will go a long way. Similarly, at the end of the day, each child should be responsible for removing their wet clothing hanging it up to dry, and making sure their gloves or mittens are set up so that they can dry out by the next morning. This will save you lots of headaches.

I'll also add that I carry a small backpack with healthy snacks to round out the overpriced crap that they tend to serve in the cafeterias at these places. A few clementines, some juice boxes etc.

Ditto everything everyone else has said about lessons and having a what to do when you get separated plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get them all a full day lesson and put them all on skis. If that's all you ski, get yourself a full day or half day lesson also. It is money well spent. I've worked ski patrol, guest services and adaptive. One of the real problems on busy weekends is parents who can't ski trying to take their kids down a hill when they also can't ski well. If you aren't in full control how do you expect to be in full control?

Snowboarding for kids? The basics of snowboarding can be learned quickly but mastering it comes much later. Too many people scraping down steep slopes on snowboards makes life miserable for everyone else. If they can't handle the fall line without sitting on their heels they aren't really snowboarding. Besides, times are changing. Snowboarding is becoming a middle aged fat guy sport. The number of snowboarders peaked years ago and the trend for younger kids has moved back to skiing.

jmcconne wrote:
Next month I'll be taking my 3 boys (ages 10, 8, and 8) to ski (maybe snowboard) at Winterplace in West Virginia. They have only been skiing once before, 2 years ago. It went OK, but it only ended up being one day due to weather. 2 of the 3 boys could get down a hill one notch above the bunny hill without falling. This time we'll be hitting the sloes 2-3 times depending on how well it goes. We'll be taking a 90 minute class on the first day. It will just be me on the slopes with all three of them, so I'm thinking it would be best for them all to ski. My oldest would probably prefer to snowboard, but to keep them all in one manageable area I was thinking skiing is the best option. I'll definitely be skiing, since I'm already comfortable on skis and they just seem more conducive to helping the boys out.

Has anyone else done a similar trip with kids? Aside from ski verse snowboard, let me know if you have any other tips. For example, I'm thinking I'll have everyone wear the same brightly covered hat to help me identify them all quickly as they spread out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote skis. Are your kids athletic? If so, they might pick it up pretty quick. My 6 and 8 year olds (girls) took 1/2 day lesson from a really bad instructor. By the end of that day, they were solid on all greens and even did one big blue run with me. By the end of the second day, there was some serious scolding going on to slow down. They like to go fast, much to the anxiety of their father. They both learned to ride a bike without training wheels at 3 years old though so they might be a bit ahead of the curve.

The closest I ever came to murdering someone was some jackass skiing like he was in the Olympic downhill and totally wrecking about 10 feet from my youngest (I was 50 yards behind her). He tumbled for about 100 yards and one of his skis hit my oldest daughter (not hard). I exchanged some rather harsh language and actually had the though that I shouldn't touch the guy because he's fairly likely to die from the ski wreck injuries and I didn't want to be held liable. I did send ski patrol up to find him once I got to the bottom.
Quote Reply