Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adjusting Seat
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any input on adjusting a road seat on a cx bike with aerobars? I can get a really good aero fit but am I wrong for thinking that the seat should be slightly tilted down a bit from level since its a "roadie seat"? Basically I am making a long distance year round commuter, but I don't like taking my time getting from A to B. I am really comfortable in the aero position but only issue im wondering about is my seat angle, 90% of my ride would be in the aero position. I've got the seat sitting level now and have a slight bit of numbness in my man region after 20 consistent minutes in aero. I'm running a specialized power seat right now and I love it for all my road riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting Seat [tcaldwell369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're running a road saddle on a cross bike and riding it like a TT bike? Aside from the obvious weirdness of it all, I'd recommend a noseless saddle (Adamo or Cobb or the like). If you're going to ride in the TT position, this will take the weight off your taint and put it more on your sit bones. As far as making your current saddle work by tilting it, good luck; Most of us have tried that and failed, and wound up getting a dedicated TT saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting Seat [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's basically the idea of it all, I figured I'd have to go with a tri saddle but was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on a slightly nose down saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tcaldwell369 wrote:
Yeah that's basically the idea of it all, I figured I'd have to go with a tri saddle but was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on a slightly nose down saddle.

The meme "your mileage may vary" applies to the bike saddle and saddle position more than many things, so take this for what it's worth: In my experience, tilting a seat forward just causes you to shift your weight toward the bars, which means you're going to get sore wrists and forearms sooner, as well as exacerbating any handling issues due to the more forward weight distribution.

If you can't ride the saddle when it's set more or less level *and* you're using TT bars, then either raise the height of the aero extensions to accommodate your lack of flexibility or, as others have suggested, get a TT saddle. But realize that your CX bike was not designed to be ridden with a whole lot of forward weight bias.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting Seat [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience with the Spec Power saddle on my road bike (that I ride in a reasonably aggressive position) is to set the front half of the saddle level. If the level is measured from the tail to the nose it would be classified as nose down. The pic below shows generally what I'm talking about - level rails results in nose down if measuring tail-nose. If you've set the saddle so it's level tail-nose, I would recommend dropping the nose so the front section is closer to level.

The Fiziq Arione I had previously had a flat top, so setting the tail-nose level resulted in the front half of the saddle being level, hence the different setup with the Spec Power.

Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting Seat [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yeah I do realize I am creating a franken-bike. But its darn near a decent fit for what I can get out of it. And in my previous early riding days I experienced with nose down saddle and I thought it was awesome at first but then as I rode longer I realized the consequences.
Last edited by: tcaldwell369: Jan 19, 17 3:33
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting Seat [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
My experience with the Spec Power saddle on my road bike (that I ride in a reasonably aggressive position) is to set the front half of the saddle level. If the level is measured from the tail to the nose it would be classified as nose down. The pic below shows generally what I'm talking about - level rails results in nose down if measuring tail-nose. If you've set the saddle so it's level tail-nose, I would recommend dropping the nose so the front section is closer to level.

This is exactly what it think may be going on, I should have cleared it up earlier, I don't mean I would ever have the saddle 30 degrees down or anything, I am just talking a few degrees down from level. But with that said I haven't gotten the bike perfectly level and adjusted the saddle like you said. When I first rode the power saddle on my road bike I did set level from tail-nose instead of leveling the front area but soon realized the different shape of the saddle will affect the degree of tilt. I will go over this tonight and see how far off it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with trial and error. On my 2009 Kuota Kharma I have put a small wedge under the rear of the rails to push the nose down. Think it's unique to the Kuota seat clamp, but I did have to monkey with it to get the nose level. Take another look at the seat profile and setup.
Quote Reply