Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone - My wife and I love running and triathlons (we met running!), and we thought this might be a good place for some useful feedback. I think we all know that optimizing lifestyle factors (e.g., nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress) can have a profound impact on health/longevity/quality of life/athletic performance. But it still seems really hard to make and sustain optimal lifestyle choices.

My wife, who is a primary care (integrative/functional focus) nurse practitioner, sees patients struggle all the time. And my wife and I, and our families, also have struggled at times. We have our theories as to why this is the case and what can help, and we're in the process of developing a technology platform/service that we think will help.

But we’d love to hear what other people think are the problems and potential solutions. If you can spare a few minutes, we'd really appreciate if you would take this quick survey: https://linnect.com/...general?name=General

We’ll report back results to this thread if folks are interested.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [PBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [PBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's a triathalon?
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you pass me the bag of chips? And while you are up grab me another beer.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bong hits.
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Tri-Banter wrote:

Since it's his first post, he IS new here...

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That, and a shitpile of cash money.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
What's a triathalon?

I think it's a lot like a tri-athalon; whatever the hell that is.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, yes, you're right. It's my first post, and I'm new to this forum. Apologies if my post annoyed anyone. I made sure to check forum rules before posting and thought this seemed ok. Thanks to everyone who contributed--to my survey, and to the thread (which was entertaining)! Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's called baptism by fire.
You're welcome back in the Lavender room any time, it's the best off topic forum on the interweebs. Just make sure you keep that tri shit in the tri forum.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your entire first post and have no idea if you are conservative or liberal, believe we have free will, think the proposed changes to Obamacare are good or bad, believe that Trump is the next Hitler or the second coming or if you support gun control.

Are you feeling okay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I filled in the questionnaire, but to post a somewhat serious response to your question:

I currently use Fitbit (good for lifestyle stuff like steps, sleep and resting heart rate), Garmin (good for tracking training activity), TrainingPeaks (good for planning and analysing training activity) and Strava (good for the motivational side - sharing rides and goals with friends and clubmates, bragging rights over local segment KOM times, etc). I also have some Fitbit wireless scales. So it's definitely an area of interest.

I think the gaps in the market are likely to be filled by devices, not software. The sites/apps out there are already about as good as they can be given the devices available. Setting goals for and tracking and analysing exercise, sleep, weight and resting heart rate (a good proxy for a bunch of lifestyle factors including stress) is all very well covered and I think you'd struggle to improve on what's out there. I also think you'd struggle to get people to pay for sites/apps when the free ones that come with devices like Fitbit and Garmin already have so much covered. The gaps for me are:

1) Tracking calories in/out better. There's a catch 22 on tracking calories in - pretty easy to do if you eat mainly packaged food where you can scan a barcode or look it up in a database, but a real PITA if you eat a varied diet of meals that are mainly prepared from fresh ingredients, which of course is exactly what most dieticians recommend. Given that calories out is also highly inaccurate unless you're prepared to wear a HR chest strap all day, I personally just don't bother with tracking diet in any kind of formal way. Better optical HR (the Fitbit is crap as soon as you start moving) would help with the calories out side of the equation, which might at least provide more incentive to track calories in, but not sure how calories in could be improved
2) Tracking stress better. Was very interested in the articles a few months back on using heart rate variability to do this. Again though, it's going to involve better devices to provide the raw data for this.

Financial incentive aspects of your questionnaire were interesting, but I think the lifestyle tracking companies are already on the case on this.
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cartsman,

Thanks so much for the feedback -- on here, and in the survey. Sorry took me so long to thank you; I was traveling. I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense, and I agree with a lot of it. I do, however, think we triathletes have an especially high pain threshold in a lot of ways, including in our willingness to use (and even, to some extent, enjoy) complex and detailed-oriented data/tools/training regiments!

Sanuk - haha, yes, I'm trying to keep my nose clean. I'm sure at some point the Lavender Room will get me in trouble though...
Quote Reply
Re: What Would Make it Easier to Optimize Health/Lifestyle/Performance? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Bong hits.

I have found from 45 yrs in healthcare, that the first heart attack and surgery are quite effective motivators --- or not, if they are fatalists

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply