Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nikon DSLR - D3400 vs D5600
Quote | Reply
Starting to take more photos and looking at DSLRs. Wondering if any of the photographers have an opinion on entry level DSLRs. Specifically, I'm wondering if there's good reason to spend the extra money for the Nikon D5500/5600 instead of the D3300/3400 camera bodies.

I've read some of the reviews and comparisons, but was hoping someone here might have additional thoughts.

I'm just getting started with more serious photography (as opposed to the occasional phone snapshot), so I'm leaning toward the less expensive model.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Nikon DSLR - D3400 vs D5600 [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For photos, not really. The 3xxx has amazing image quality, and the controls are pretty much the same.

For video, the 5xxx is better than the 3xxx

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you mind sharing more of what you plan on shooting with the camera? There are significant difference on a few things that might matter depending on your intended use like frames per second, focus points, and battery life. Check out the link below it is q website /comparison tool I like.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/nikon/d5500/vs/nikon/d3400/

Edit: Also check out used, I purchased all my gear used and have been quite happy.

Nikon Factory Refurbished: https://www.nikonusa.com/...rbished-cameras.page
General used: adorama.com, keh.com, bhphotovideo.com

Last edited by: Sonny83: Jan 17, 17 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Nikon DSLR - D3400 vs D5600 [Sonny83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sonny83 wrote:
Would you mind sharing more of what you plan on shooting with the camera? There are significant difference on a few things that might matter depending on your intended use like frames per second, focus points, and battery life. Check out the link below it is q website /comparison tool I like.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/nikon/d5500/vs/nikon/d3400/

Edit: Also check out used, I purchased all my gear used and have been quite happy.

Nikon Factory Refurbished: https://www.nikonusa.com/...rbished-cameras.page
General used: adorama.com, keh.com, bhphotovideo.com

Well, as I said, I'm just getting started taking anything more than phone pictures, so I don't have a specific area of focus yet. I imagine it will be street and travel photography mostly. Some low light, so maybe a higher ISO range would be nice. But again, I'm not locked into anything specific, so I want something that will be generally good all around.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, for stills the 2 cameras are pretty much identical. Put the price difference into lenses, the Nikon 35mm f1.8 is awesome and only about $200. Lenses trump the bodies every time.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, if you want street and travel mostly, or that's what you think you'll be shooting, I wouldn't pick either of those. Micro 4/3rds would be my choice, eg Olympus om-d

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Nikon DSLR - D3400 vs D5600 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Btw, if you want street and travel mostly, or that's what you think you'll be shooting, I wouldn't pick either of those. Micro 4/3rds would be my choice, eg Olympus om-d

Thanks. I'll look at those as well.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Nikon DSLR - D3400 vs D5600 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Btw, if you wamnt street and travel mostly, or that's what you think you'll be shooting, I wouldn't pick either of those. Micro 4/3rds would be my choice, eg Olympus om-d

Or a rangenfinder

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, given you are testing the waters I would highly recommend going used whatever you decide on. The website I listed before all have a rating system, just make sure you stick to the better rated stuff. It sounds like your priority is something small, lightweight and versatile.

For what it is worth I would recommend the Sony a6000, does a lot well in an easily carried size. I think the only drawback might be battery life, but since you aren't shooting events or sports I think you can get by. It has a good selection of lenses and built in wifi so you can transfer pictures to your phone in the field pretty easily.

Some website/blogs I frequent which might help in your decision are below. At least one of them should have a review of any camera you might end up with on your short list, and there are some really good articles on lightroom and photoshop to get you started in editing.

slrlounge.com
fstoppers.com
petapixel.com
thephoblographer.com
lonelyspeck.com
Quote Reply