Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

HSA and a low cost catastrophic plan makes a ton more sense than what we have now. My wife got up to $430 per month for an individual plan with a $6,500 out of pocket before we decided to just quit paying it. That was last year, it is even more expensive this year. I have a short term plan which is the same as the old catastrophic plan. My out of pocket is $10k but my monthly is $75. Would take 26 months to save that $10k at the $450 her premium was this year.

So two years on her plan is $10,800 in monthly premium + whatever costs she incurred up to $6,500 per year. And at the end she has zero in the bank to show for it whether she used the insurance or not.

Two years on mine is $1,800 in monthly premium, if I take out the same $450 per month and save the rest I end up with $9,000 saved. I don't go to the doctor, ever. Unless I am bleeding to death, a bone is broken or I am unconscious I ain't going.

Now which plan do you think makes sense for me?

Problem is the lovely O-Care took away the catastrophic plans and HSA's. So my plan is only good for 10 months, then I have to go 3 months with no insurance, then I can apply again and they don't have to give it to me because it is designed to just be a stop gap now. Oh and I am supposed to pay a penalty to the government because it is a non-compliant plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
At least with the HSA, you pay a lot of money for something that retains its value, rather than paying a great deal of money for something that essentially is value-less for the individual doing the investing/saving. Back that up with a high deductible plan. This is what we did pre-ACA and it worked very well.

If you have a good year, you retain the extra in the HSA for times in the future when you aren't so fortunate. Sort of self-insuring with pre-tax $.

This is what who did pre-ACA? It may have worked well for you and some others with enough income to spare, but this amnesiac longing for the 'good old days' back under GWB when healthcare was supposedly both easily affordable and widely accessible is high on revisionism and low on facts... Cost curves were already going up sharply and performance metrics were generally poor and worsening long *before* ACA ~ which, you know, is kinda why Obama was able to make health care reform part of a successful campaign platform; if it was so great before, it wouldn't have been worth much traction on which to help get elected. Duh.

You can easily argue ACA ended up being a turd, but don't act like the system was never broke and didn't need fixing before.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Why doesn't he just make Mexico pay for it? You know, just add it to their tab. Like the wall.

Mexico pays for the wall. Canada will pay for health care.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
Most people who live paycheck to paycheck do so by choice, though I'm sure it doesn't seem that way to them.

It would depend on if the person is living paycheck to paycheck because theyre poor or if they're high earners who just spend foolishly.

Not at all. People at every income level can make choices to alleviate that burden. It goes without saying that the higher the income level, the easier that task becomes, but it's the middle and lower-middle class that jumps to mind immediately. I'd bet the average family earning $40-80k annually live at or nearly as close to the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle as those in the lower class, carry whopping high interest credit card debt, and have less than a month's living expenses tucked away. And among that group, most could dramatically improve their situation if they started making smarter choices. I'm not in that income bracket, but I know the impulse and how easy it is to fall into those traps.

In the long run, yes.

But most people don't live in the long run. Sure, people can start making better choices, but how long does it take for those who have dug themselves into a hole to pull themselves out? And what do they do in the meantime?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You can easily argue ACA ended up being a turd, but don't act like the system was never broke and didn't need fixing before.

I don't know anyone who thought the system was great before. But the ACA made it worse for a LOT of people, and is simply unsustainable. The model makes no sense. When you break a system that was bad to start with, going back to the way it was before is still an improvement. If you can actually fix it, that's a bonus.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
The people you describe should be eligible for Medicaid or a hefty HSA subsidy. If they're not, and the system is structured fairly, they're not prioritizing properly.

Most people who live paycheck to paycheck do so by choice, though I'm sure it doesn't seem that way to them.

LOL some people really are clueless.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
veganerd wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
sphere wrote:
What did that statement entail? I've read summaries of his proposal, and they seem fairly reasonable. Expand HSAs, increased competition with portability and other measures, etc. The usual stuff.

I think I read something that struck me as odd, but I believe I was on the back end of an imperial stout review, so whatever it was didn't stick.

If people don't have the money to pay for health insurance, where are they going to get the money for an HSA?

Exactly!

Because, much like today those who can't afford to pay will be on Medicaid. I would think the intent, and the discussion in regards to HSA's is targeted at the middle class, especially those who don't receive any subsidies and/or those who may receive subsidies who have seen their deductible and OOP go through the roof. If your butt hurt would heal you would likely be able to figure it all out... but it won't so we have that

I have healthcare through my employer but was curious so last year I went on the exchange. With a household income over $100K living in the midwest and I qualified for subsidies. You might need to rethink, who you think qualifies for subsidies.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you underestimate how many people live that way.

Quote:
While you might think low-income households face the most difficulty creating a financial cushion, the problem is hardly confined to the poor. Yes, more than half of all households with an annual income under $30,000 have no emergency savings. But fully one in six households with an annual income between $50,000 and $75,000 had no emergency savings either.

And even for households earning more than $75,000, almost one in four can stay above water for no more than three months.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/can-you-guess-how-many-americans-have-absolutely-no-savings-at-all/

Granted, there are several different ways to interpret that data, but I have no reason to believe the number is terribly far from reality.

Quote:

To clarify, by "most people" I was referring to those whose incomes exceed the limit to qualify for public assistance. Reading again, I didn't make that clear.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
sphere wrote:
The people you describe should be eligible for Medicaid or a hefty HSA subsidy. If they're not, and the system is structured fairly, they're not prioritizing properly.

He has a point, if people made smart decisions and wanted less stuff they could save money
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [Watown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watown wrote:
ETA, I think the HSA/catastophic plan works great, especially if we can cover people at the low end with the medicaid system.

So and how is that increasing % going to be paid for?

Always funny to see how the 'changers' just gloss over the really salient issues.

Especially if they just casually skim over the fact that they advocate more government, higher taxes and less social safety/security.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But most people don't live in the long run. Sure, people can start making better choices, but how long does it take for those who have dug themselves into a hole to pull themselves out? And what do they do in the meantime?

Live in the hole, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
sphere wrote:

He has a point, if people made smart decisions and wanted less stuff they could save money

If only Eve hadn't eaten that apple.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
sphere wrote:

Correct. How many people can actually afford things like smartphones? Now compare that to the number of people who actually have smartphones.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Thanks, that's a more comprehensive description of his plan than I'd read. Sounds good so far.

So far so good...

Rand Paul goes on tweet storm after GOP refuses to let the public view the Obamacare bill

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I saw that. Not good when Rand Paul is hosting the press at his very own protest of House Republicans.

Looking increasingly like the Republicans are gonna screw us. I hope they all have private sector jobs lined up.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice Intern.

I like her casual, purpose-driven outfit.

sphere wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Thanks, that's a more comprehensive description of his plan than I'd read. Sounds good so far.

So far so good...

Rand Paul goes on tweet storm after GOP refuses to let the public view the Obamacare bill

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She can't give him a copy of it because it doesn't exist.
Last edited by: RZ: Mar 4, 17 22:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on health care: Literally or Seriously? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

It would depend on if the person is living paycheck to paycheck because theyre poor or if they're high earners who just spend foolishly.

Or low earners who spend foolishly. Not everyone needs a $700 smartphone. Yet everyone has a $700 smartphone.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next