Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ISO- Outer Banks vacation ideas
Quote | Reply
We're thinking on checking out the Outer Banks in mid-April. Anyone got leads on places to stay, stuff to do, must-sees in the area? Pet friendly a must. We're into hiking, reading, and relaxing, as opposed to night-life clubs kind of activities.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ISO- Outer Banks vacation ideas [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We go to Ocracoke Island each year. Definitely has a Bohemian "check-in/drop-out" feel. We love it. I wrote the below to someone a few years back about OBX

Not sure also if you have a 4 wheel drive

From North to South

Section 1 is Duck/Corolla – an upper scale are with homes on the beach, high end shops and restaurants. Also some areas you are allowed to drive on the beach on the northern-end.

Section 2 – Kitty Hawk/Nags Head – this is the prime tourist spot. Very similar to the Jersey Shore. Crowded. A ton of rental homes/condos/cheaper hotels. No homes on the beach. But a lot of miniature golf, go-karts, a wide variety of places to eat, movie theater, strip malls, etc

Section 3 – Hatteras Island/National Seashore. Many homes are directly on the beach. Homes are usually larger (5+ bedrooms). Limited restaurants, only one supermarket. Not a lot of activity (miniature golf, go-karts, etc) But these areas are very peaceful and laid back. You need to invent your own fun if the weather is bad as you are pretty much home-bound. Most of this beach area is 4 wheel access

Section 4 – Orcacoke Island – (This is where we go). Only accessible by a ferry. It’s the farthest point. The island is similar to a 14 mile pencil. The Village is at the far end like the eraser, and the island is 14 miles long. Very thin/narrow. The Village is very small, but unique and eclectic. Homes are on the smaller side, and there are several mom-and-pops inns/motels. A lot of small, locally owned shops, restaurants, etc. A lot of fishing charters. We rent bicycles to get around the village. There is no homes on the beach as it is a national sea-shore. If you have a 4 wheel drive, you can drive on the beach (which we do) and find your little oasis. There are a few public parking spots for non 4-wheel people, but then you need to carry all you stuff for a while to get to the beach.
Again, not much activity if the weather is bad. No movie theaters, miniature golf, etc.

Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jan 16, 17 10:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've visited the OBX. It's something you gotta do once. We were only there two days. We drove the length of the OBX to see it all available by car and stopped at a few of the lights (lighthouses) and other interests along the way. We spent a few hours at Kill Devil Hills and the NPS Wright Brothers Monument. If we had another day we would have spent some time at Fort Raleigh on Roanoke Island (the lost colony).

The Kitty Hawk area is like a cheesy beach town. Unimpressive. Although I did find a brewery there.

We stayed in Duck at The Sanderling Inn. Nice place. North of Duck is Corrola which is a nice island community with a lighthouse and some town-ish things. North of that is only accessible by 4-wheel drive.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO- Outer Banks vacation ideas [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice description

I will add some to this. There are about 3 large house rental companies, a few smaller ones and VBO rentals. Pet friendly for dogs is 10x easier to find than for cats. (Joe Lamb, Sun realty, Prudential)

If you want to climb Hatteras light house be careful because they open around April 15th. We keep hoping to do the Full Moon climb they have but haven't been that lucky.

Not all of the restaurants are open but there is so much less traffic in April that is when we usually go.

1- the Whalehead Museum was nice to go through. There is a Wild Horses Preserve, or non profit, shop near there which has wild horse tours that are cheaper than the normal tourist ones.

2- we always enjoy the Bingo at the Lions club Tuesdays at 7pm sharp, no being late.

Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo are always on our agenda.

Orange Blossom Bakery is near Hatteras and worth stopping in but they close around 11am.

Ocracoke is a more laid back place and where you just hang out and wander around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've done two trips there; each time with several families all staying in a single rental house in the Corolla/Duck area. For my money, the trip was great if you're looking for a very low-key, beach bum kind of experience.

Personally, I like to loaf a bit, but I also like to get out and be active.. and for the latter, OBX isn't the best option. There's not a whole lot of scenery/land feature, but the beaches are great (though water in April will be cold). We do a ton of lounging, a lot of family games, a lot of eating, and far too much drinking.

With rental houses, you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of location and amenities. Our rentals have been through Twiddy who is very easy to work with and has a ton of properties. We never ventured too far south of Kitty Hawk, so others will need to chime with the finer points between the primary areas of OBX.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You HAVE to go to Bob Grill in Nags Head-local dive with great food(breakfast stuff). Their motto in "Eat and get the hell out"!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Nags Head a few times in May/August. Unless it's changed, it was a total dive of an area....in the best way. Pack a few books, comfortable shoes and hope for good weather. My recommendation is spending half a day at Jockey Ridge State Park. We would climb the giant sand dunes and then slide back down them. It was a 'strenuous' workout.
Quote Reply