Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tunes
Quote | Reply
How do I get away from I Tunes? I have a couple thousand songs on my pc from them and I'd like to just keep the songs and ditch all the other I stuff and get music from all sources and keep it all in one place. Is this possible? Or has the I machine trapped me? Help me make my music folder great again. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Quote Reply
Re: tunes [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple thousand songs on my pc from them and I'd like to just keep the songs and ditch all the other I stuff and get music from all sources and keep it all in one place.

Not sure there's a way to aggregate music downloads from multiple platforms into one place/software program.

In the old days, we called it a "mix tape".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. Several thousand songs purchased over the years through iTunes.

A couple years ago, I switched over to iTunes radio and paid their quarterly subscription service. I have purchased a song since. And the amount I pay for the subscription is less than what I was paying before when making individual purchases. Yes, it's still iTunes, but there are other subscription services out there. Typically, you pay a flat rate for unlimited access to whatever they have in their catalogue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren't trapped. Even though ITunes makes some things a bit easier.

Any Music in your ITunes folders should be still accessible. I took all, or most of it anyway, and moved them to a network drive. Meanwhile I'm in the process of digitizing some 800 Albums and when ripped I add them to the network drive as well. Anything on this network drive can be moved to my Smartphone and plays like before.

I'm not sure I can even find my MP3 player any more lol

Caveat: I've only purchased a few songs from ITunes. But I can move them around and play them anywhere I want. So you should be able to as well I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google Music ($9/mo) is similar to the paid version of Pandora but allows you to upload your own files to their library. I've used it for years, highly recommended.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: tunes [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google Play Music allows for easy and no-strings-attached FREE upload of 50K songs - no subscription required.

It's been a while since I've done it, but they have an online upload tool that is designed to work with your iTunes library - you just tell it where your library is, and it'll upload up to 50K of your tunes to Google's cloud for free. It leaves your iTunes library totally intact - it doesn't mess with that.

And you can easily download all or some of your library at any time to any of your devices (I've done a couple of times with new computers, etc). The files on Google are just regular ol' MP3s - no DRM or weird file types.

I've used this for years now - it's been really great - super flexible and easy-to-use. iTunes is dead to me, and good riddance.

If interested in a music subscription service, I would also recommend Google Play Music for that - the bonus is that you get "YouTube Red" as part of the deal, which means no ads on YouTube. Not too shabby.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply