Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Critique my swim videos [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.
Thank you very much for your patience in writing this.
Glad to hear that I do a few things right (a friend of mine said the same).

I'll focus on this for a while and let´s see how (if) i will improve.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There we go, after one year here again to get some feedback, lot's to do I know.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim videos [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it too late to get in on this? I took some videos today.
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Realise that this is a long dead post but hoping for some swim feedback if possible - if there's a better place to post please let me know!

Background: Been tri swimming for over 2 years now. Swam a fair bit as a kid but nothing competitive. PBs are 5.37 400m and 2.37 both SCM (I'm from the UK). I'm long limbed so have quite a long and lazy stroke. The videos below are at about 1:25/100m in an endless pool.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [tompatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW!! LOve this thread ! I wish I could take some videos at the public pool. Every time I pulled out the Iphone to film (me or the kids) all the lifeguards jump on me and tell me it's forbidden....grrrr!!

I should try and find some local swim coach to get a few tips...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [tompatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I see as I stand in line at the grocery store.

You have a hitch in the pull phase.

Try to get your head more in line with the torso. Seems like it’s riding a bit high?

I’d prefer to see less catch up in the stroke, but it’s nit terrible.

Let your arms swing a little wider on the recovery phase. You’re very tight, which looks like it’s impeding your stroke.

Hand placement is generally good, other than the cocked wrist. Overall decent mechanics. An underwater side shot would be helpful.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Definitely not the best clip but I asked someone to film me last Monday to see if I fixed some issues from last winter.

Swim 2-3 times a week, on average 2,4-2,7k per session. Started 3 years ago, could not swim freestyle when I started.

Fastest times (all scm, all open turns):
25m: 15-16" (used clock instead of someone timing me)
50m: 34"
100m: 1'16", 1'12" with fins
200m: 2'53"
400m: 6'14" although there might be more left

I know I'm swimming a bit too much catch up stroke here, which is probably linked to breathing a bit too late. But when I swim quicker, the catch up style is gone. These are also "easy" to fix.

The thing I've been struggling the most with is my kick.. There's some rythm in there but there's a lot of room for improvement.. I can't wrap my head around on how to do a continuous kick, and I "hook" my left foot after every breath which is something I don't know how to fix. However when I'm swimming with fins or kicking with a board of when I swim hard/sprint, I don't hook my left foot and also I can get a bit more of a continuous kick.
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that around 44 strokes per minute?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing for only starting a few years ago. Ok, Body position is pretty good. On arm extension, you're lifting your wrists and pointing your fingers down for some reason. That creates drag on the tops of your hands. Drop your wrists and lift your fingers a little bit on the glide. You're also swimming with very noticeable pulses/surges. Slowing down and then accelerating over and over again is a time suck. That's like pedaling your bike with very noticeable pauses between left and right pedal strokes - smooth it out some by filling in the pauses with more catch that slows down your pull some so your other arm has time to catch up.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Is that around 44 strokes per minute?

I don't really count strokes but my Garmin gives an average of 45-50spm most of the time.

ZenTriBrett wrote:
Amazing for only starting a few years ago. Ok, Body position is pretty good. On arm extension, you're lifting your wrists and pointing your fingers down for some reason. That creates drag on the tops of your hands. Drop your wrists and lift your fingers a little bit on the glide. You're also swimming with very noticeable pulses/surges. Slowing down and then accelerating over and over again is a time suck. That's like pedaling your bike with very noticeable pauses between left and right pedal strokes - smooth it out some by filling in the pauses with more catch that slows down your pull some so your other arm has time to catch up.

Thank you, much appreciated! I've been wishing my parents would've put me on a swim squad when I was little instead of martial arts haha. I didn't even notice the wrist thing, but indeed there's quite a dead spot in my stroke. Smoothening that out together with a better kick is the goal this winter :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say your scissor kick is a balance issue because you only breath left. Force yourself to breath bilateral ( takes about 2 weeks ) , think about light flutter kicks and touching big toes. Get yourself a tempo pro trainer and raise your stroke rate to around 64spm this will cut out your glide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if there's any sport that everybody should do besides learning to swim (so you don't drown) it's probably martial arts. I was a bouncer at a pretty rowdy night club and the bouncers that had martial arts or wrestling background were amazing. I wouldn't consider it a total loss. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct with the late breath. It's an obvious error with predictable consequences. Poor timing knocks you off balance, and your leg slides out to correct for that brief loss of stability. Adjust your breath timing and the leg issue should improve.

Don't confuse "improve" with "fix." There are other factors (head position, for instance) that influence what your leg does when you breathe. Breath timing isn't "the" fix. But it's a good place to start.

Diagnose the problem and address it head on. If you have a left side breathing problem, identify and fix the left side breathing problem. I don't understand what the right side has to do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge, Week-7 (Critique my swim vids) [StrokeDoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to sort your timing.
Swim one handed but breath on the opposite side.
Keep the non stroking hand by your side.
This will fix your roll timing and breathing issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those people picking on stroke rate, I gotta say that I don't care about that. as long as you are comfortable changing stroke rates and can maintain whatever stroke rate you want for the distance, that's fine.

I'm more interested in the mechanics of that kick. it looks like even though you're doing a 2 beat kick, you're still overkicking. For distance swimming at lower intensities, you're generally better served by making the kick as minimal as you can. That doesn't mean don't kick, there's a balance there, but right now youre doing a massive kick with each pull. that just adds drag and doesn't really gain you much, especially with how inflexible your ankles appear to be. For distance swimming, I go for a feeling as if I'm just kicking from my ankles. In reality a lot more than that will move, but the idea is to keep the legs in line with your torso and just get a little bit of lift and rotation from your feet.

for the scissor kick, you're overrotating on the breath. so that's part of it.

If you're having difficulty with the 6 beat kick, a good one is to do a drill called 6 kick switch (there are other names too). kick on your side (bottom arm outstretched, top one at your side, for about 6 kicks (it can be more, doesn't really matter), then without breaking the kick rhythm, do one stroke (half a stroke cycle) then repeat on the other side. You can do it with a snorkel and fins to make it easier.

do a couple of lengths like that, then a couple of lengths where you take 3 strokes, then 5 strokes. just concentrate on keeping the legs in rhythm, don't worry about arms.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next