Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement
Quote | Reply
I've been having a lot of hip/glute pain. Ultimately diagnosed with a torn labrum and ischiofemoral impingement. After nearly 6 months of no running or biking and 12+ weeks of PT, I don't notice much improvement. I did have some relief of the anterior and groin pain with a cortisone injection in the hip joint. The posterior pain remains, suggesting the impingement is a big part of the problem. The surgical "fix" for this seems to be release of the iliopsoas tendon from their lesser trochanter. Releasing a tendon concerns me. Anyone had a similar experience or able to offer any advice? Really frustrated.
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is something like that caused by?

I'm just getting over recurrent glute pain from high hamstring tendinopathy. Rest and rehab have gotten me most of the way through it, but I've also spent months working on core strength and hip flexibility to remedy the postural problems that started it all. A slow process, but I think it's helping. (Fortunately I enjoy yoga.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fiancé had this (if impingement) last year, she didn't run for 9 months but surgery was supposed to be the very last resort and her doctor urged to be patient with it and not to get back in full force for a year... She is running again now (~14 months post-diagnosis) but not yet anything longer than 8-10 miles as she still feels a hint of it with those long runs. She is extremely frustrated as well but fortunately her sister is a PT so that's been keeping her on the conservative plan. Anyway, i do hope the surgery recommended was seen as the last resort but I do know the doctor said the surgery is also not a sure success (is anything?).

Jstonebarger- my fiancé's impingement was caused by stride imbalance and lack of glute engagement, she was a pure runner at that point (of course, now she's getting into tris since she can't run as much as she used to) and was doing 2-3 marathons a year but I think what really caused the impingement was training for and running the JFK 50 miler. The imbalance always existed but didn't cause problems until she upped the volume even more.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
What is something like that caused by?

I'm just getting over recurrent glute pain from high hamstring tendinopathy. Rest and rehab have gotten me most of the way through it, but I've also spent months working on core strength and hip flexibility to remedy the postural problems that started it all. A slow process, but I think it's helping. (Fortunately I enjoy yoga.)

i have high hamstring tendinopathy too, nearly 2 years into the nightmare, what yoga are you doing? like power/fitness yoga or yoga where you mainly stretch?
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goregrind wrote:
i have high hamstring tendinopathy too, nearly 2 years into the nightmare, what yoga are you doing? like power/fitness yoga or yoga where you mainly stretch?

A bit of both, really. Lately I've been trying more power yoga focused on back/core strength, but I started with and still do a fair amount of the classic hip openers. Search youtube for "yoga for back pain" and you'll see my starting point. (I've tried a lot of instructors/poses/flows since then.)

After a spine fusion 6 years ago I kept up with a few simple core exercises but lost a lot flexibility in my lower back and hips. It took 18 months to get over HHT on my right, only the have it flare up worse than ever on my left a month or two later. At that point I realized it wasn't going away without me tackling bigger issues, so I stopped running, lightened up my cycling workouts, started swimming 6 days a week, and got serious about yoga. Three months later I'm still doing a couple HHT specific rehab exercises, slowly re-introducing running, and getting ready to ramp up my cycling. My core strength is much better, my flexibility is coming along, and I'm hopeful...

Have you tried anything specific for your HHT? Any luck?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had surgery 18 days ago for a torn labrum and hip impingement. After everything I read I couldn't believe how much pain went away immediately. On day 14 I started riding and day 15 I started swimming. I should be back to running by March.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Have you tried anything specific for your HHT? Any luck?[/quote]
tried everything, been to three doctors, a couple sets of physical therapists, paid 1200.00 for plasma rich platelet injection, did astym, started doing yoga like you just to try something different, may be helping a little, but i guess the p.t. stuff like eccentric/getting the negative is how you work the tendon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just going throw this out knowing you are looking any ideas. Have glute hamstring sciatic problems off and on. Been using inversion for years. Teeter hang up is my machine of choice. I do full inversion many times a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What symptoms are you guys experiencing? I am having similar hip/glute issues that have hampered running considerably.
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also symptomatic if ischiofemoral impingement-can be seen on right side in MRI. Since that, symptoms have developed on other side. Anyone tried injections for this-cortisone or PRP-with any success? Anyone had the surgery- open or arthroscopic- and what was the outcome?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there- I have been diagnosed with exact same thing. I also have anterior pain as well. My right hamstring is also torn. Did you have surgery?
What did they do? Who did you see? Thank you- Christina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I joined this forum after searching ischiofemoral impingement. I have a acute case after running 30 miles per week. I can barely walk. Debilitated for 6mo. Sitting is the most excruciating. My Boston doc. basically said there is nothing I can do. He said aqua therapy to strengthen pelvis. I have researched extensively. There is a resection of the lesser trochanter (decompression) that supposedly helps this condition. However, there are very few docs in the US to perform the operation. I am wondering if you have had any surgery. The pain is unbearable. I sleep with ice packs. I had an injection into the quadratus femoris muscle with no results. Basically, have no help. Wonder if you are better now and what worked for you.
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [lchartier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lchartier wrote:
Hi there,
I joined this forum after searching ischiofemoral impingement. I have a acute case after running 30 miles per week. I can barely walk. Debilitated for 6mo. Sitting is the most excruciating. My Boston doc. basically said there is nothing I can do. He said aqua therapy to strengthen pelvis. I have researched extensively. There is a resection of the lesser trochanter (decompression) that supposedly helps this condition. However, there are very few docs in the US to perform the operation. I am wondering if you have had any surgery. The pain is unbearable. I sleep with ice packs. I had an injection into the quadratus femoris muscle with no results. Basically, have no help. Wonder if you are better now and what worked for you.

beyond any other wisdom you may find here, if you look to the right, just below the forum search tool, you'll see HOT FORUM TOPICS. if you click that down arrow, and then click illness & injury, you'll see a list of threads under "iliac artery endofibrosis". there are more threads than these, but these are the 2 that are the largest, with the most information. you'll also see threads on "high hamstring tendonopathy", which is discussed in this thread. i don't think we have aggregated a list of threads under Ischiofemoral impingement, perhaps we should. let's see if the collective wisdom of this community can do you any good.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I know this post was a while ago but wondering how your fiancé is doing?? I am in the conservative route for Ischiofemoral Impingment as well. Mine was a congenital narrowing made worse by repetitive motion trauma. Prob. wasn't in alignment either. Very difficult to treat. Few docs even know about the condition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her symptoms were quite similar to yours where even sitting was an issue and had to have a standing desk at her job. She was lucky to have a sister and brother in law who are both advanced PTs and she had specific treatment, I think something to do with the pelvic floor but she was still sidelined for the whole season that year aside from swimming. It was really tough. She did get better the following year and nailed her first 70.3 in 5:35 last year, however even today she still has to do specific movements after hard weeks and sessions and while it doesn't give her pain, she feels... Something... In that area. At first I thought it was just a mental thing, an awareness but now after two years, I trust she really always feels it there. She isn't the most consistent person about her strength work which I think is a reason why but she can bike and run these days.

I can't be sure of he specifics but I think hers was the same trauma, she started to feel a niggle after Boston 2015 aand then built up to the JFK 50 later that year. The pain grew and she ignored it as 'usual ultra training pain' and it wasn't until after JFK that she realized it was a huge problem.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Thank you. There is hope. If you have any specific exercises that help - would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty much a mess so any advice is very helpful. My gait has changed so that is a big concern. Thank you again for your prompt reply and sharing information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlenorm wrote:
I've been having a lot of hip/glute pain. Ultimately diagnosed with a torn labrum and ischiofemoral impingement. After nearly 6 months of no running or biking and 12+ weeks of PT, I don't notice much improvement. I did have some relief of the anterior and groin pain with a cortisone injection in the hip joint. The posterior pain remains, suggesting the impingement is a big part of the problem. The surgical "fix" for this seems to be release of the iliopsoas tendon from their lesser trochanter. Releasing a tendon concerns me. Anyone had a similar experience or able to offer any advice? Really frustrated.

Taking advantage of the post and reviewing the bad experience below:
I came to this post researching ischiofemoral impingement in sport. I report that after 4 years of regular and intensive use of the "Finis Positive Drive" equipment indicated by the manufacturer for "all swimming styles", I developed a strong picture of unilateral sciatic crisis and deep gluteal pain while sitting. Being that keeping me seat is part of my daily work.
Along with the ischiofemoral impingement where the femoral square muscle is pressing on the sciatic nerve I have also developed multiple inflammations of the tendons and muscles of the hip. And the problem manifested itself suddenly and it is difficult to resolve even with immobility and physical therapy.
My deep gluteal pain developed first on one side because in addition to this way of swimming hard with the team I played golf regularly and in the leg that supports my body the sciatica was hit with severe pain. It took a long time to understand that this was not a "spine crisis".
Let this report be recorded. I am not a runner or triathlete, but this story of mine can warn anyone who follows the same path.
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [cmcschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi there- I have been diagnosed with exact same thing. I also have anterior pain as well. My right hamstring is also torn. Did you have surgery?
What did they do? Who did you see? Thank you- Christina

old post but since it got bumped any follow-up from you? how are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestnig. Thanks for sharing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love an update on how you are doing, and others too. I just found this group with an IFI search, as I have bilateral IFI (7mm on each side) (apparently congenital in my case). I'm 45- female. 2017 was symptomatic and debilitating on right side - and low back - took steroids and it resolved, and now on left, and this time not improving at all - excruciating at times. I was only running 1-2 miles per day in December, then had the flu and in bed off and on for two weeks, before this acute on chronic onset which has lasted two months. I'm a runner and biker (but no marathons or triathlons yet - always wanted to, but health issues - possibly lifelong IFI), Phd, neuroscientist, but partner is a pain med doc, and we only came to the realization of IFI two weeks ago, after a pelvic MRI. I've read most of the current scientific literature on IFI, and am now in touch with a leading MD/researcher, who does the "Cutting Block Technique" which is an arthroscopic method for shaving down the lesser trochanter, without releasing the iliopsoas tendon (which I too think is worrisome, and would want to avoid if possible). I have physical therapist who has very little experience with this. I was working with him on core strengthening for back pain the month before this past onset, and we wonder if the piriformis stretch actually enhanced the IFI (quadratus femoris impingment). So, I now have to stop myself from doing the piriformis stretch at my desk and on my train commute...which was a regular behavior for me - to help me deal with low back pain. What I am now wondering is what stretches are we suppose to avoid? I saw this mentioned in a paper, but not detailed. Any advice appreciated! And happy to share literature for anyone interested. Here's the paper on the cutting block technique (won't let me upload because too large).
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [speters14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming in to this thread a bit late, but wondering if anyone has any good contacts re surgery for IFI. I'm starting to look in that direction. It seems like this is not a common procedure, so it would be good to find someone in the US who is doing this surgery on a regular basis and has gained some experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I know your post is a few years past now, but I've been dealing with the same IFI and labral tear (and high hamstring tendinopathy) for over 5 years. I've had practically every treatment option out there, except surgery. Did you find a successful treatment and how are you doing now in the years since your post? I'm hoping you found something that relieved your pain.
Thank you-
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HHT is load management and isolated target strength training.
Stretching is the last thing should be doing

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: hip/glute pain & ischiofemoral impingement [Catlover4415] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello, I know your post is a few years past now, but I've been dealing with the same IFI and labral tear (and high hamstring tendinopathy) for over 5 years. I've had practically every treatment option out there, except surgery. Did you find a successful treatment and how are you doing now in the years since your post? I'm hoping you found something that relieved your pain.
Thank you-

if you're on insta, look at Dr. Lisa DPT's stuff. She really knows what she is talking about and is a running specific PT - not sure if you've seen a run specific PT or not (I would hope so).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply