Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
CP78 wrote:
The OP is a douchebag.

Just out of curiosity...where do you park your car at night?

Kiley Austin-Young, why do you care if I think your statement comes off douchey (it does), and what does that have to do with my car?

>says op is a douchebag
>op responds by being a douchebag
Hilarity ensues and the cycle continues
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jan 18, 17 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you qualify for Kona and are a gold AWA Ironman invites you to a free breakfast get together a few days before the race. A nice touch although the cost is well covered by all the money spent with Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Iron Geezer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be some breakfast is it wasn't! Eggs woodhouse all around

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
If you don't know, let me clue you in: this is a frequent fliers club. The AWA badge is as unexceptional and unimpressive as your Costco card. .

Now that is just downright insulting. I paid good coin for my costco card!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perks....I might be wrong about this, but don't AWA get an official metal bag tag? Not one of those crappy plastic ones that all Costco members get?
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
treimink wrote:
this is why i care far more about usat rankings.

even when you get gold, your reward is a whole bunch of emails inviting you to sign up early for races that you don't want to do anyways.

probably the only thing i liked about it was getting invited to the banquet at worlds, but i didn't even attend so not sure it's much of a perk.

At IMLOU 2015, AWA athletes were allowed to enter the pre-race banquet room via the most right hand door as opposed to the three doors immediately to the left (as in 1 foot to the left) ... walking into the same hall ... with open seating ... and no line cutting allowed for the buffet. They even had a person at that door taking the little AWA hall pass to ensure lesser athletes did not walk through that gilded entrance. WHAT A PERK!

it's a joke. i've actually checked into races and seen the awa line longer than the "regular" line.

I've not seen that in the 10 or so races I've stood in line at check-in since the AWA thing started. Usually the AWA line has zero people in it and the regular line has a 30-90 minute wait. The three races I stood in line for last year were Panama, Augusta, and Cartagena. The AWA line for both Panama and Cartagena had a total of zero people in them. I didn't race in 2015 so I didn't have AWA status. The regular line took almost 90 minutes at Panama, and an hour at Cartagena. Augusta I hit at the right time and there was basically nobody in either line. The last year I raced was 2014. I stood in line for the Texas 70.3, IMC, and IMMT that year. There was no AWA line at IMMT so it was about a 90 minute wait. There were zero people in the AWA line for both the TX 70.3 and IMC. The TX 70.3 regular line took almost 90 minutes to get through. IMC might have been 20 minutes or so.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 19, 17 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is different and I've done many IM's and 70.3s both pre/post AWA. Prior to the program I've never waited more than 15 minutes in line. But then again, I don't go first thing in the morning when they open up and there are 200 people or more already there.

So with the AWA hall pass, I've gone up and it's pretty much do you want to wait 0 minutes in the regular line or zero minutes in the AWA line? I used it once at IM70.3 Florida because there was no one in line for AWA and maybe 3 or 4 people in the regular line. It was hot and sunny in both and I want to get in the tent right away so I used and saved at least 2 minutes!

Based on your experience I will admit that the line cutting might be a perk, but it hasn't been worth spit in my mind. And I've chucked every metal AWA key tag they've sent me into the trash the day it arrived.

One thing I really don't like is how they assign different sets of numbers based on the AWA color. It was easier to race before when I knew that everyone between, say, 936-1007 was in my Age Group, but now you have to realize that there are 3 more sets of numbers to add to that. And you can't assume that the non-AWA number set doesn't include the fastest guy...might be someone in there that didn't do any WTC races the prior year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next