Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Seattle Tri scene? Locals or people in the know..... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Also there's the Cougar Zoo Road heh-heh-heh bring a compact crank and at least 28 tooth cog.

Oh, man, I had forgotten about that road. I've only ridden it once. That climb can't be categorized as anything but 'for real'.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Tri scene? Locals or people in the know..... [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a potential really great local race. I am disappointed about the date choice however. It looks like Chelan is also scheduled that weekend. There probably are barely more than a dozen tris all year around here. Why can't we space them out? (Rhetorical question)
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Tri scene? Locals or people in the know..... [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
Sounds like a potential really great local race. I am disappointed about the date choice however. It looks like Chelan is also scheduled that weekend. There probably are barely more than a dozen tris all year around here. Why can't we space them out? (Rhetorical question)

Rhetorical, yes, but I hear you. I've often wondered the same thing. So many weekends...

I'm going to do Padden on 6/24 (overlaps with other stuff), then Whatcom three weeks later (overlaps with other stuff) then Whistler 70.3 two weeks after that. I'm sure Whistler overlaps as well.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Also there's the Cougar Zoo Road heh-heh-heh bring a compact crank and at least 28 tooth cog.

Oh, man, I had forgotten about that road. I've only ridden it once. That climb can't be categorized as anything but 'for real'.
https://www.strava.com/segments/622628

That's up the other road near it, but basically the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Tri scene? Locals or people in the know..... [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
CCF wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Funny, I always pictured you in Ballard!

I agree, there's no way Halvard doesn't live in Ballard.

I grew up on the Almost Live skits from the 80s and early 90s, classic Scandinavian Ballard jokes!

Let's be honest. If you want to cycle, Ballard sucks. Great beer, food and all that but its a PITA to get out of on a bike. cycling from Eastside is 100% better than Seattle.

Last year I did many loops of Magnolia on the weekdays. It's a really solid training loop with some good options to get your heart rate up with only one stoplight. https://www.strava.com/segments/7609701
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Yep it is 1332 feet vertical in 2.9 miles, from Newport to the antennas. Most of the climbing is in the first half so it is even steeper than it looks from those numbers. One switchback kicks up to over 20 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Tri scene? Locals or people in the know..... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
CCF wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Funny, I always pictured you in Ballard!

I agree, there's no way Halvard doesn't live in Ballard.

I grew up on the Almost Live skits from the 80s and early 90s, classic Scandinavian Ballard jokes!

Let's be honest. If you want to cycle, Ballard sucks. Great beer, food and all that but its a PITA to get out of on a bike. cycling from Eastside is 100% better than Seattle.

Yep. In Seattle proper there's really only one option for fast cycling with few stops. Lake WA boulevard from UW Arboretum to Seward park. It can be sketchy (narrow, twisty in places, no shoulder) and pavement isn't the best in a lot of places.

Eastside has the Lake Sammamish loop (slow traffic, wide shoulders), and the 202 and 203 if you don't mind high speed traffic and narrow shoulders. Also there's the Cougar Zoo Road heh-heh-heh bring a compact crank and at least 28 tooth cog. Juanita hill in Kirkland. Novelty Hill in Redmond. Sammamish River trail has a 15 mph limit but there's literally no one on it 9 months out of the year, mid day, and especially if it's raining. Great for running at all times of course.

Pools are a lot nicer on the east side too, and there are a lot more options for long runs plus a couple of small mountains for trail running.

I often ride part of the Lake Washington loop. Basically you can go from Marymoor Park in Redmond, up the Sammamish Trail, connect to the Burke Gilman. Then U district to the Lake Washington loop, work your way down to I-90, across Mercer, then back up Lake Sammamish. It's a good 50 mile loop with a reasonable mix of bike lanes and paved bike trails.

https://www.strava.com/activities/628098324

For someone moving here, check out the Strava heatmaps and that'll give you plenty of guidance.

Also there are quite a few gravel trails if you set your bike up for them. You can ride out east to Fall City and then go north on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail which runs parallel to 202 / 203, and is much much safer. At a certain point on 203, the shoulder completely disappears and with a lot of big semis going 50+, I will not ride that stretch anymore.

Anyhow that gets you up to Duvall, and then you can connect back in on Novelty Hill Road which is another fun climb, taking you back to Avondale and back into Redmond.
YES! Snoqualmie Valley Trail is a gem. Not many Seattleites know about it. Park in Carnation at the Tolt McDonald park and you got access to many miles of gravel trail with hardly any other users on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Tri scene? Locals or people in the know..... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
CCF wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Yep it is 1332 feet vertical in 2.9 miles, from Newport to the antennas. Most of the climbing is in the first half so it is even steeper than it looks from those numbers. One switchback kicks up to over 20 degrees.

They held a tt race up it about 10 years ago, unofficially. Entry fee was a donation. I think my time was around 15 minutes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next