Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First shooting match in 5 years
Quote | Reply
Went to a local Thursday match shooting limited pistol, I managed to hit the 17 spot out of 33 in limited and first in my class. Was on fire the first three strings. Should be able to get into the top quarter again. There were also some pros shooting in my divisions. It was a USPSA style match. That and IPSC were my weaker leagues. I used this to get back into the game and the reacquaint myself with the pressure of completion. Plan to participate in a 2 gun match next month in armored division where I will have to wear a plate carrier (with plates) negotiating physical tasks between guns. And Carry all gear throughout the match (no cart allowed). Fun times.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: First shooting match in 5 years [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's great you are getting back into it. I like shooting pistol but I also like the more physical multigun matches more. I'm mostly doing 3 gun at this point but usually do one pistol match a month to keep the pistol snappy.

It's always a good perspective change to get out there with folks in the shooting world. There are a lot of people who like to talk about how good they are shooting mostly at static paper at the indoor range or whatever. Go out there and get A class in USPSA or similar and then you have real skills. I would encourage anyone who wants to develop real skills to get into competition.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: First shooting match in 5 years [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing an armored 2 gun match next month with physical obstacles between strings. Have to wear a carrier with level 3 plates or heavier. It is also trooper class so all gear mud go with you. No carts or returning to your car or stuff in a pavilion. I don't really care if there isn't a shotgun. I've done plenty of three gun matches before it was popular. I see shotgun like he swim in a triathlon. Just a third event. You don't win a match with shotgun skills but can sabotage a match if you screw up in it. And depending on the rules it becomes more about reload speed.

Don't get me wrong, I also plan some 3 gun matches to. But I view competitive matches more as a benefit to overall shooting skills when the stress of competitor and gaining muscle
Memory was key. Even last night the instincts kicked in. If I even thought for a moment that I missed the A zone in either of my shots if instinctivelt did a third or forth. That translates to me into shooting a perceived threat until stopped. What hurt my time was the Texas wheel and shooting weak hand at long distance. That's more of a game but good practice none the less. But it is also about timing your reloads. I let the slide kick back too many times. Hurt me on the Texas wheel as I was knocking them down until my slide locked and rhythm broke. But I was happy to see that as the slide locked a fresh mag was quickly put in and running on almost instantaneous autopilot.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply