Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fat Activism [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parents who let their kids get fat should be put into prison for child abuse. I don´t know wht it is like in the US (I assume it is probably worse), but here in Germany more and more kids are obese and it is certainly not their fault, so who is responsible if not the parents.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Activism [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Parents who let their kids get fat should be put into prison for child abuse. I don´t know wht it is like in the US (I assume it is probably worse), but here in Germany more and more kids are obese and it is certainly not their fault, so who is responsible if not the parents.

US obesity - not merely overweight, obesity - was 33.7, #1 among OECD countries. Germany is far down the list at a mere 20.1%.

It's the worst (among developed nations) in the US but the trend line is pretty bad everywhere; technology simply gives people the option to be lazy, processed foods are incredibly cheap and the easiest (and tastiest) foods are terrible for you, and health insurance - especially in countries with socialized coverage - is largely blind to the epidemic. So it's cheaper to eat crap, there are no monetary impacts to the poor health consequences, and there's no incentive--from a 'survival' perspective--to be active.

It's 100% on parents, but it's also on governments to reverse their bullshit policies around agriculture subsidies--at least in the US we subsidize corn, wheat, soybeans, etc and those products have been processed to death to where the unhealthy oils and sugars are in EVERYTHING, and all that processed shit, because it was subsidized, is far cheaper than real, wholesome produce. Something is drastically wrong when you can get a cheeseburger from McDonalds for less than a banana and an apple. Of course the rocket scientists in Washington, rather than work on the source of the problem, are working on the periphery (updating the food pyramid, as an example) and have talked about fast food taxes (and many cities and, I believe, some states have taxes on soda). Eliminate the fucking subsidies first, let the market correct itself THEN see how much a burger and bag of chips cost.
Quote Reply

Prev Next