Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Last I checked the Rams were not selling out their games. I have trouble believing that a 2nd NFL team within 2 years will work in LA. In 3 to 5 years we may hear about the London, Toronto or Mexico Rams or Chargers.

Rams had the second highest attendance in the NFL this past season. The only reason why they didn't sell out is that the Coliseum capacity is also high. It's only low as a percentage compared to capacity. They sold 70,000 season tickets this year, which is pretty good considering it's one of the shittiest venues. I don't think they'll have any problem selling out the new stadium, and when you consider the revenue generated by suites, I don't think the Rams will have any problems. Frankly, I think when you consider all that, LA should have little problem with two teams, but I don't think the Chargers are that other team.

LA wouldn't/couldn't support two teams before. Why is now any better?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Last I checked the Rams were not selling out their games. I have trouble believing that a 2nd NFL team within 2 years will work in LA. In 3 to 5 years we may hear about the London, Toronto or Mexico Rams or Chargers.

Rams had the second highest attendance in the NFL this past season. The only reason why they didn't sell out is that the Coliseum capacity is also high. It's only low as a percentage compared to capacity. They sold 70,000 season tickets this year, which is pretty good considering it's one of the shittiest venues. I don't think they'll have any problem selling out the new stadium, and when you consider the revenue generated by suites, I don't think the Rams will have any problems. Frankly, I think when you consider all that, LA should have little problem with two teams, but I don't think the Chargers are that other team.

LA wouldn't/couldn't support two teams before. Why is now any better?

I'm not sure it's true that LA couldn't or wouldn't support two teams before.

My understanding is that the Raiders left because the LA Coliseum Commission was a pain in the ass to deal with and they wouldn't renovate the Coliseum to include suites among other things. That was the same reason why the Rams left the Coliseum in 1980 for Anaheim.

I believe the reasons for the Rams move to St. Louis were a bit more complicated. But still, it was mostly over stadium issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
j p o wrote:
Perseus wrote:
I don't feel bad for SD. They voted not to build a new stadium and just like every other city that make that choice they'll lose their team.

Good for SD. Why should taxpayers give billionaires enormous presents? Everyone who looks at publicly funded stadiums concludes that it is a colossal boondoggle.

Two choices...build a stadium or loose the team.

Yep, and I think they made the correct one.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Perseus wrote:
j p o wrote:
Perseus wrote:
I don't feel bad for SD. They voted not to build a new stadium and just like every other city that make that choice they'll lose their team.

Good for SD. Why should taxpayers give billionaires enormous presents? Everyone who looks at publicly funded stadiums concludes that it is a colossal boondoggle.

Two choices...build a stadium or loose the team.

Yep, and I think they made the correct one.

So did the majority of the voters!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as the LA Rams keep losing, they won't sell out. The St. Louis Rams sold out every game at the dome for over 10 years. Stan Kroenke bought the team and they didn't have a winning season the last 12 years in St. Louis. All of the teams Kroenke owns are terrible and have a history of losing. Kroenke doesn't care about winning. He only cares about real estate and making money. The Rams and Chargers will both fail in LA.
Last edited by: willie573: Jan 13, 17 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [willie573] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously, winning will make a difference in attendance. But selling out an 80,000 seat stadium, that will have the ability to increase to 100,000, won't mean that they'll fail. Unless, of course, failure is solely defined by whether the stadium will sell out.

As I mentioned, the claim that the Rams didn't sell out the Coliseum this year is a bad omen is overplayed, as the Rams had the second highest average attendance in the NFL.

In a couple years, they'll have a new stadium, once that will be shared by two teams.

Plus, the Raiders will play there at least once per year, and that's a guaranteed sellout.

If the Chargers fail here, it'll be because nobody in LA wants the Chargers, not because LA can't sustain two teams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that Bill Plaschke is a whinny little bitch but he is dead on here. When the raiders come to play they will have far more fans that the dolts. https://www.google.com/amp/http://www.latimes.com/...p.html?client=safari

I saw an interview with Spanos, they asked him about the previous history of two LA teams and basically threw the fans of Orange County under the bus, way to go insult a fan base with a high disposable income.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny thing about it, to the extent there are Charger fans in the LA area, they're in South OC, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. So piss of OC, and you're offending half of your already meager base.

While the major reason the Rams left in 95 was stadium issues and problems with the City of Anaheim, Frontiere had also offended a number of fans by insulting them and not investing in the team. Many of these fans were in OC.

Spanos seems like an idiot. Is he gong to be a repeat of Georgia's follies?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Playing in the Stubhub Center with 27K capacity will make sellouts easier initially. Hell, even i'll go as I can ride my bike there. I don't want the Chargers, but I'l be happy to go there to see other teams play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope he's right. I hope that LA completely ignores the chargers.

In what fucked up world did the NFL think it was a good idea to put the Chargers in LA and the Raiders in LV?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Playing in the Stubhub Center with 27K capacity will make sellouts easier initially. Hell, even i'll go as I can ride my bike there. I don't want the Chargers, but I'l be happy to go there to see other teams play.

If you don't ride your bike, just put it on top of your car. Then get free parking by telling the attendant that you're going to the velodrome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

If you don't ride your bike, just put it on top of your car. Then get free parking by telling the attendant that you're going to the velodrome.

#smart
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned that by actually going to the velodrome once when there was a Galaxy game. I only told the attendant so that he wouldn't try to direct me to a different parking lot. He then said that there was no parking change for those using other facilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angeles Chargers [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, here goes. I'm in San Diego, born and raised here, and with the exceptions of college and a couple relatively short-term jobs, I've lived here my entire 44 years. I'm a casual sports fan, but if pressed I'd claim the Chargers as "my" team even though I never really paid too much attention to them. I'd check the results and get frustrated with them, and them move on with my life. I could probably count the number of Chargers games I've attended on two hands.

That said, I'm relatively smart and observant, local, and here's what I see: LA is not the Spanos family's long-term goal; rather, Orange County is.

During the runup to last year's NFL owner's vote on relocation, the Chargers' argument for moving included the claim that a relatively large percentage of their fans and non-TV revenue came from Orange County. The Chargers said they couldn't allow another team to move into LA because that team might eat into the Chargers' OC revenues. Therefore, if any team were to move there, it should be the Chargers. Obviously, things didn't go well for the Spanos' argument, and they ended up teaming up with the Raiders in their failed Carson joint venture. Things went really badly when the owners did what Spanos interpreted as a back stabbing move when the Rams (read: ultra rich Stan Kroenke) were greenlighted for LA and the Chargers and Raiders were shunted aside.

Look at who the partners in the Carson plan were, and you'll see that Bob Iger, the CEO of the Walt Disney Company, was a major participant. Iger has the chops, both personally and professionally, to get things done in Orange County, and an NFL presence in or around Anaheim would dovetail nicely with Disney's presence there. There's already a stadium there that was sort of renovated for the MLB's Angels some years ago, so there's real estate available (it's also virtually next door to the Honda Center, which is where the NHL's Ducks play, and the surrounding land is already being redeveloped into mixed use). That stadium used to house both the Angels and the Rams before the St. Louis Rams days. Plus, the Anaheim stadium has the main north-south Amtrak and Metrolink line running alongside its parking lot, and the local station is in the parking lot. There's a huge new station being built immediately to the south, which will replace the mere platform that's there now. I think Iger's plan is to turn that entire area into a residential/sports/entertainment mega complex, and an NFL team is exactly what he wants there.

I think Spanos' experience with being backstabbed by the NFL made him extremely wary of the purported promises he was receiving that he would be allowed to move there before the Raiders (despite the Vegas Raiders talk we've been hearing). I think he felt very insecure in his ability to protect that OC revenue, and his deadline to opt into LA at the Rams' stadium was almost up. He received an extension, but I can't imagine that he wasn't afraid of the other owners' machinations to prevent him from moving. He'd already been backstabbed once, and he wasn't about to let it happen again.

Therefore, I think the decision to actually move was a relatively hasty and impulsive one. For evidence of this, see the horrible non-logo logo they revealed yesterday. The first thing they needed to present and advance was their new brand, and they trotted out some POS logo that looks like clipart. Dean Spanos then began his new job of promotion, which he absolutely isn't built for - he, an heir who has done nothing in life but enjoy his father's wealth*, was virtually silent throughout the entire last two years in San Diego: first throughout the first effort to move, and then even during the crucial initiative effort to approve a new tax/stadium plan here. He's simply not a speaker. He was forced into that role quickly yesterday, and I think that's why he put his foot in his mouth as to OC. That's also why the decision was announced by a letter on the Chargers' website, and not via a public statement by Spanos. (*Note also that the Spanos family is something like the second "poorest" NFL ownership family. I think Dean knew he was in over his head when dealing with the likes of Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, etc.)

Add to that Dean Spanos' letter announcing the move, noting that he included a time limit on the Chargers' stay in LA - 25-30 years. He's hedging on where the team will be long-term.

I could keep going, but I've exhausted my Slowtwitch time for today.

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next