Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The weird world of III%ers
Quote | Reply
So, I've run in circles over the years that have put me in direct contact with weird fringes of the right (sometimes left) and I'm ok with that. But recently I've found myself in the circles of III%ers. In case you don't know, the legend is that only 3% of American Colonials rose to the occasion to challenge the crown, etc, etc, etc. If I were to summarize the III%ers, I would say they are a more militant form of the Tea Party. I'm ok with that. However, in finding more and more educated on the group, I find that while their ideals seem to be spot on, however, they are run by idiots with SHTF fantasies. I'm not talking about white nationalist paramilitaries or even people who welcome a gov't collapse. I'm talking about airsoft clubs that have graduated to real guns and have nothing better to do than meetup on weekend to play army while flying their club banner prominently and posting all of this on facebook.

I know some III%ers who are some good guys, whose way of thinking is more in line with mine. However, a lot of these guys are living in fantasy world.

Reminds me of my years active in some survivalist groups in florida. For the most part, we were a group of preppers, who obviously loved our guns. We competed together and viewed that as practical training. Most former military or law enforcement (some swat and special forces) Sort of like fight club, outside our little click, we didn't talk much about it. Certainly had no sort of formal structure. However, there were always groups that wanted to create something formal. Something that was organized, hierarchal and structured. Initially these types were viewed as so outrageous they were believed to be feds.

But now these groups have become mainstream. Full on structured groups with paramilitary heirarchy, vetting process, recruitment offices, people from all walks of life posing with OK hand signals signifying themselves as (III%). Emergency callout procedures that resulted in people showing up at the bundy ranch, and Oregon, inserting themselves where they aren't necessarily wanted.

We need people dedicated to this cause, but Jesus Christ, this isn't the way to do it. The very public presence of these groups makes them easy to monitor by law enforcement or groups like the SPLC who view any sort of gov't dissent as hate group activity. My casual oberservation from groups I've been forwarded invites from is most of them fatasses that couldn't hump with a pack and their gear more than three miles. Actively training to take on the gov't. In case you don't know, florida law outlaws such blatant militia training. There are ways around it, but why the hell would you post video, detail, names etc. online for the world to see? Why would other groups encourage this behavior? People are going to find themselves in the cross hairs (figuratively and literally) of law enforcement. People who are a harm to nobody will find themselves in jail a lot of people may die because of their stupidity.

Truly baffling to me.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: The weird world of III%ers [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first rule of the III%ers is that you don't talk about III%ers. You may have opened up an unexpected visit in the near future. :)
Quote Reply
Re: The weird world of III%ers [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I considered that. This thread may randomly escalate into a Duffy PCH thread or those Trayvon Martin thread.

Again, I don't take issue with their goals, but stuff like this should maintain an OpSec like fight club. Clearly most of these groups didn't get that memo.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Yes, I considered that. This thread may randomly escalate into a Duffy PCH thread or those Trayvon Martin thread.

Again, I don't take issue with their goals, but stuff like this should maintain an OpSec like fight club. Clearly most of these groups didn't get that memo.

(Stream of consciousness spigot *on*)

Serious question (not a flame at all): does the fact that participants like to talk about it prove that the movement is ego driven, rather than ideal driven? I mean, if it were ideal driven, then it seems that the act of doing would be enough for the participant - no need to display/brag. But if it's ego driven, then the goal is to show others what you're doing. "Look at me (on social media) in the woods with my guns and skills I am acquiring. I am masculine and not to be trifled with! And here's my 'secret' hand sign to indicate such."

It seems to me that the "Tactical Bro/Molon Labe" trend (whether or not the participant is a veteran or civilian) is fashionable, and it's interesting that the beard was out of fashion until it started showing up in photos of Special Operations guys downrange in late 2001, early 2002. Now it seems like 3/5 of white military-age men in America are sporting a beard. It seems like the rise of that trend has been paralleled by the rise of multicam everything, American flag patch hats (probably not IR reflective, but mimicking the same), sleeve tattoos...

I'm rambling and I've never really organized my thoughts on this, but that's what I see. A militarization of male culture* in the US that started in 2001 and has been growing ever since.

*Don't even get me started on the Instagram Gun Bunny culture. Pictures purportedly of girls with guns, but always with cleavage and makeup, which reveal that the true point of the posts are to ask us to "Lookit mah bewbs!"

(Stream of consciousness spigot *off*)

War is god
Last edited by: Crank: Jan 13, 17 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: The weird world of III%ers [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
TheForge wrote:

(Stream of consciousness spigot *on*)

Serious question (not a flame at all): does the fact that participants like to talk about it prove that the movement is ego driven, rather than ideal driven? I mean, if it were ideal driven, then it seems that the act of doing would be enough for the participant - no need to display/brag. But if it's ego driven, then the goal is to show others what you're doing. "Look at me (on social media) in the woods with my guns and skills I am acquiring. I am masculine and not to be trifled with! And here's my 'secret' hand sign to indicate such."

It seems to me that the "Tactical Bro/Molon Labe" trend (whether or not the participant is a veteran or civilian) is fashionable, and it's interesting that the beard was out of fashion until it started showing up in photos of Special Operations guys downrange in late 2001, early 2002. Now it seems like 3/5 of white military-age men in America are sporting a beard. It seems like the rise of that trend has been paralleled by the rise of multicam everything, American flag patch hats (probably not IR reflective, but mimicking the same), sleeve tattoos...

I'm rambling and I've never really organized my thoughts on this, but that's what I see. A militarization of male culture in the US that started in 2001 and has been growing ever since.

(Stream of consciousness spigot *off*)

Yes. I can only assume the number of returning vets and their iconization this go around contributed to it. Beards were always sort of a status symbol in the more elite teams, that and not wearing uniforms on base. But the real reason that spec ops guys initially wore Zach Galifanakas style beards was it was a cultural requirement among adult Afghani males. The original special forces and spec ops guys were embedding in these tribal societies and to gain acceptance, they adopted some of their customs. It then became their thing. I think deep down inside every snake eater wants the world to know they are one, but most don't want to overtly promote it. It's a way of showing that hard earned status without telling everyone. It then gets adopted by people outside the specific group, and I'm sure there are a lot of tactical bro dudes who have never been in the military that want to leave that concept ambiguous. I mean, you see a fit guy with tattoo and a beard like you saw in the movies, and it at least crosses your mind "is that guy an operator". It then becomes a self perpetuating lifestyle.

But you are right, the IIIper mindset IMHO doesn't really get it. Its like an airsoft club taken to the next level. A sense of belonging to something that is not the mainstream, wasn't really earned (even though you have to be selected), etc, etc.

I think it goes without saying here that to me the possibility of gov't collapse, large scale violent civil unrest , martial law, and gov't sponsored slaughter of the innocents is much more likely than most would like to believe so we should be prepared for it. But it shouldn't consume your life, you shouldn't overly call attention to your preparation for it, and record yourself breaking the law doing it. That is just silly. To me the proper way to go about it is crystal clear:

1. Organically find people who share your same concerns and covertly discuss these concerns in a private venue like your living room, gun club or even a quite bar in the back corner. How do you find these people? Well if you truly feel this way, I'm sure you will share some interest like competitive shooting, Appleseed shoots, gun shows, Gun clubs, frontiers man reenactments, civil war and WWII battle reenactments, etc.

2. Use these legitimate venues to train and prepare under the radar. Shooting under duress and timed is a good way to develop muscle memory, Appleseed shoots are a good venue to get a lot of volume that can translate into long distance shooting, battle reenactments teach real life battlefield maneuvers and communications techniques with primitive technology.

3. Don't ask too many question, instead listen and learn. Rule out the BS from what is helpful.

4. Don't trust anybody, especially some random strangers who met you on a popular social media platform.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info; I hadn't heard of these guys. Are they the same as the molon labe, or are there substantive differences?
Quote Reply
Re: The weird world of III%ers [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there are Molon Labe groups as much as that is a rallying cry of the more extreme gun culture like me. I've had a Molon Labe patch on a couple different packs and shooting caps for nearly a decade. No, I don't have one on my car. But when you seen 3%ers, usually you will see Molon Labe. Meaning the same sort of person who wants to advertise their participation in the 3%er groups probably wants you to know they are pro gun.

Molon Labe lets other gun owners know that they are in good company more than anything. Its one thing to own guns, its another support and defend the right. That you aren't scared or offended when they carry, open or concealed. That knowing they may have an AR-15 in their car doesn't concern you.

I sort of stopped wearing it when it became too common. Now I just keep an American flag or a pirate patch on my hats and gear.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quoted for truth and irony.

Quote:
Don't ask too many question, instead listen and learn. Rule out the BS from what is helpful.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The weird world of III%ers [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you confuse the mystique of theforge with real life. When I touch the keyboard theforge takes over. And while all he says both egos share the same views and knowledge of many thing, his alter ego is more responsible and tactful in the real life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No mystique, that's far too fantastic a word. Most understand that the theforge thing is just shtick and you are trying to get a rise out of others and you are seeking attention, confirmation, and validation.

Either that or you are, in fact, one sick and twisted motherfucker.

And I say that with true concern for my fellow man... dude IF this isn't a shtick, you need some professional help.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The weird world of III%ers [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Brazilian Riot thread IS 100% real. But I would never discuss such matters offline to the extent I did.

Quote Reply