Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Podcast listeners: Sam Harris & Maajid Nawaz
Quote | Reply
Sam and Maajid published a book recently, a collaboration of not-always like minded intellects on the subject of Islamic reform. They've since become close and always produce worthwhile dialogue on religious and political issues. Nawaz, in a nutshell, is a reformed Islamist and former terrorist supporter who has served time for those offenses, who now runs the Quilliam Foundation in the UK, which is essentially a counter-extremism think tank. He's a liberal democrat (UK) but has refreshing insights into the U.S. political system, and voiced some of them in their recent conversation. He's far less concerned about the implications of a Trump presidency; views the Dem's strategy of identity politics as an absolute self-defeating dead-end; recognizes their refusal to call radical Islam by its name as condescending and also self-defeating; views President Obama's foreign policy (correctly, IMO) as an utter disaster, resulting in failure in Iraq, spawning ISIS, and undermining to the nation's moral authority; to list a few.

Strangely, the Southern Poverty Law Center has just added him and Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who is probably familiar to most people interested in the topic of radical Islam and reform, to their list of "anti-Muslim extremists", which should tell you everything you need to know about the integrity and moral clarity of the SPLC.

There's an earlier podcast in which they rehash some of the material from the book, which I also recommend, as well as all of his conversations on politics and Islam. Two standout episodes are his conversations with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and with Shadi Hamid on the topic of Islamism vs. Secularism

A good listen if you have a few hours to tune in.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/friend-foe

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Podcast listeners: Sam Harris & Maajid Nawaz [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its in my queue.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Podcast listeners: Sam Harris & Maajid Nawaz [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's downloading now!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Podcast listeners: Sam Harris & Maajid Nawaz [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for the error in the OP. The second episode I meant to link to was not Shadi, but to the episode entitled The Frontiers of Political Correctness. But really, there aren't any episodes that I wouldn't recommend, unless you're just terribly disinterested in those topics (he frequently discusses meditation and AI in detail as well). His election analyses, both pre and post, are excellent.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply