Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USA 33,599 Japan 6 [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
That is insane.

We have taken a slightly different (but equally ludicrous) tactic. We have the opposite problem you have - too much water.

Our city is in the process of determining what percentage of your property is non-permeable and results in rain water being diverted to storm drains. They are doing this by analysing satellite photos off Google maps, I believe. This ratio will used in determining new tax rates to maintain our storm drain system. Any roof, concrete or asphalt patio, driveway, etc will cost you in additional property taxes. You get tax credits for buying rain water barrels though.

Or maybe the city could've done their job properly in the first place when approving development permits. But nope...

Looking at the municipal affairs of Vancouver Island makes me shake my head at the lack of merits of a democracy.

Why not just cover your roof with hay bales? About 1000 should do it; won't take you but an evening!
Quote Reply
Re: USA 33,599 Japan 6 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Nothing like that around here.

Collecting rain water is illegal in California.

In a lot of states, you don't own the water rights even if you own the land. I don't know much about Cal. but in Colorado this has been a pretty big deal on the Front Range. Colorado recently changed the law to allow more rain collection: http://earth911.com/...ainwater-harvesting/

I understand the reasoning behind the prohibition and in some ways agree with it. But in CA we haven't built any new water storage capacity in decades despite a huge increase in population. So if The State is just going to let the water run off into the ocean then why can't citizens build their own water collection and storage?

They encourage us to "save" and "conserve" water in these dry times yet illegality the best way to do it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next