Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does the Nobel Peace Prize have a symbol of a bomb on it?
Quote | Reply
'Cause it should, baby!

Mind you, this is NOT a criticism of President Obama. I applaud him for these actions. It really is an indictment of the Nobel Committee for their asinine awarding of the Peace Prize in 2009.

President Barack Obama sought to draw down American military presence abroad and has resisted committing ground troops to various international conflicts. Despite pushes from within his administration to commit U.S. military forces to the civil war in Syria, Obama kept U.S. military action in the country focused on the Islamic State group. He was widely criticized for failing to follow through on the “red line” he set over Syrian President Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons against his own people.
The U.S. dropped 79 percent of the anti-Islamic State group coalition bombs in Syria and Iraq, totaling 24,287. That figure, along with others analyzed by CFR, is likely lower than the actual number dropped because one airstrike can involved multiple bombs.
Obama did authorize a troop surge in Afghanistan — a conflict he pledged to end during his campaign — where the U.S. dropped 1,337 bombs in 2016. There are currently 8,400 U.S. troops left in the country, more than Obama initially wanted to keep there at the end of his term. The U.S. only dropped 947 bombs in Afghanistan in 2015.

The U.S. also dropped more bombs in Libya in 2016 than it did in 2015. Nearly 500 bombs were dropped in the North African country that has essentially been ungoverned since the fall of dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. He was captured and killed during the Libyan Civil War, kicked off by the Arab Spring protests that also began the Syrian conflict.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/...4.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/...rticle124842824.html

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/...4.html#storylink=cpy

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Nobel Peace Prize have a symbol of a bomb on it? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It actually really should because Alfred Nobel invented dynamite in the 1860's.

I always thought it was mildly humorous that a "Peace Prize" was named after a guy who developed explosives.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Nobel Peace Prize have a symbol of a bomb on it? [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Explosives have a use beyond military applications. In fact, Dynamite was primarily used for clearing rock for railroads and other construction related demolition back then. Dynamite wasn't a good military explosive as it had a poor shelf life and hard to transport. In fact, you have to rotate dynamite else the Nitroglycerine will seep out of the sticks and become instable and explosive. Didn't you watch Lost?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Nobel Peace Prize have a symbol of a bomb on it? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I definitely agree that the positive contributions of dynamite far outweigh the possible uses as a military explosive, I just still find it humorous that those things are attributed to the same person.

And I have never seen a single episode of Lost actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Nobel Peace Prize have a symbol of a bomb on it? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Trump will also be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize during his term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8,400 US troops in Afghanistan alone?

Well, this one was the "good war."
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Nobel Peace Prize have a symbol of a bomb on it? [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the Nobels was in construction which at the time was much more dangerous. Especially civil engineering projects. So to them, the invention saved lives. And because it didn't have a practical military use, it was deemed in their view a product solely for good.

TNT on the other hand...

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Nobel Peace Prize have a symbol of a bomb on it? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
I always thought it was mildly humorous that a "Peace Prize" was named after a guy who developed explosives.

There's a story behind that---- His brother died, but the papers mistakenly published Alfred's obituary - he read that the obit called him "the merchant of death". Concerned about how he would be remembered, he changed his will so the bulk of his fortune went to a trust to fund the prizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of good ones, RDX, PETN, octogen, all are much more fun when you add some anfo. My experience with explosives is only in the mining field, and they are a very cost effective way of moving a lot of earth. Check out Cast Blasting on the youtubes.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply