Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
This thread is a perfect example of why Olbermann felt the need to say that in sincerity, though I'm certain it will fall entirely on deaf ears. Despite innumerable examples of precisely what he's talking about, Trump's defenders, and those who snipe at liberals for sport regardless of their support for Trump, seem incapable of acknowledging the most fundamental and undeniable truth about Trump as a person, and as President: he's pathological, in ways that I don't think anyone of our generation has seen in such a position of authority and power. Nakedly pathological. He lies in ways no one would ever think to lie, because no normal person would expect to get away with it. He says things no serious person seeking that office would dare say (citing National Inquirer to link Cruz' father to Lee Harvey Oswald; belittling Cruz' wife for her looks; etc.) Over, and over, and over again, this is what he does, what he's been doing since I can remember, in ways that were mildly amusing when he was a mere harmless rich celebrity, and deeply troubling now that he's our next President. I don't know if we'll reach a point where he proves himself unfit for the job, in ways undeniable and intolerable, if he hasn't already (literally defending a meddling, murderous Russian dictator at the expense of Americans, at every opportunity, apparently isn't enough), but I think it's a very real possibility.

But I don't think his voters would consider it a major loss, if Pence were to assume the presidency, so I don't know that they really need to brace themselves for anything one way or the other.

I think what Olbermann is really asking for is an acknowledgment of this undeniable truth, for the sake of the collective sanity of those who are incredulous that it's not a universally acknowledged truth. It's incredibly frustrating when people continue to deny the undeniable, and skate in circles around it (reference the responses here) like someone caught in a lie who stubbornly refuses to admit it. Or like a Hillary supporter who insists that her critics are driven by entirely by sexism, and that she really is a truthful and sincere public servant.

So... you actually watched the video?
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you be friends with a guy who comported himself like Trump does?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
jepvb wrote:
I don't disagree with your description of Donald Trump...I only disagree with the uniqueness that you and Keith Olbermann breathlessly ascribe to it.

Just calm down, the world is not going to end.

Nailed it. The craziness of those on the left is getting weird. Like the Facebook post that showed up on my feed the other day which was telling women to hurry up and stock up on Plan B by January 19. Really? So the morning after pill is going to disappear on January 20th? Get a clue.

The over the top commentary by the likes of Olberman (he is still around?) is ludicrous and only goes to show that the smart crowd just aren't really too bright. Shut up, take your medicine and live your life. The world will not end the day the Donald is our President.

Again, denial. The fringes will always behave this way, so pointing at their example again skates around the issue.

It's not just from The Left. It's left, right, and center. There has never been a more organized and strident opposition from The Right as we saw this election cycle, and not just as a desperate scramble to hold onto power. Their criticism wasn't policy-focused, either; it was on the very same issues Olbermann and countless others have highlighted. Shutting up and taking our medicine, whatever that may mean, doesn't change the immutable pattern of behavior, and nature, of Donald Trump.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

So you didn't. But you know what it said and that it was wrong. You is smart.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

This seems appropriate here:

Dear Hollywood celebrities,

Itā€™s time to wake up now. Get this! The only reason you exist is for my entertainment. Some of you are beautiful. Some of you can deliver a line with such conviction that you bring tears to my eyes. Some of you are so convincing that you scare the crap out of me. And others are so funny you can make me laugh uncontrollably.

But you all have one thing in common. You only exist and have a place in my world to entertain me. Thatā€™s it. Nothing else!

You make your living pretending to be someone else. You play dress-up like a 5-year-old. Your world is a make believe world. It is not real. It doesnā€™t exist. You live for the camera while the rest of us live in the real world. Your entire existence depends on my patronage. I crank the organ grinder, and you dance.

Therefore, I donā€™t care where you stand on issues. Honestly, your opinion means nothing to me. Just because you had a lead role in a movie about prostitution doesnā€™t mean you know what itā€™s like to be a prostitute. Your view matters far less to me than that of a someone living in Timbuktu .

Believe me or not, the hard truth is that you arenā€™t real. I turn off my TV or shut down my computer, and you cease to exist. Once I am done with you, I go back to the real world until I want you to entertain me again.

I donā€™t care that you think BP executives deserve the death penalty. I donā€™t care what you think about the environment. I donā€™t care if you believe fracking is bad. I donā€™t care if you call for more gun control. I donā€™t care if you believe in catastrophic human-induced global warming. And I could care less that you supported Hillary for President. Get back into your bubble. Iā€™ll let you know when Iā€™m in the mood for something pretty or scary or funny.

And one other thing. What was with all this ā€œIā€™ll leave the country if Donald Trump winsā€? Donā€™t you know how stupid that made you sound? What did you think my reaction was going to be? I better not vote for Trump or weā€™ll lose Whoopi Goldberg? Al Sharpton? Amy Schumer? Leave. I donā€™t care! And donā€™t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. Oh by the way, is Clinton returning any of the money you so generously donated to her election?

Make me laugh. Make me cry. Even scare me. But realize this, the only words of yours that matter are scripted ā€” just like your pathetic little lives. I may agree with some of you from time to time, but in the final analysis, it doesnā€™t matter. In my world, you exist solely for my entertainment. So, shut your pie hole and dance, monkey, DANCE!

#dancemonkeydance

Great work

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

I didn't what? And where have I mentioned anything about what was said?

Why are you so quick to assume? Is that smart?
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
j p o wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

I didn't what? And where have I mentioned anything about what was said?

Why are you so quick to assume? Is that smart?

So did you watch? Is he wrong?

Feel better?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
It's not the lying itself- that's nothing new or even exceptional. We're in an age in which politicians feel comfortable lying and being obvious about it because they don't have to worry about being caught. They know everyone knows they're lying to start with, and they know it doesn't matter.

It's the pathological degree of pettiness and narcissism that stand out to me. Really insane. He doesn't even have the ability to self-censor himself for the sake of maintaining a normal appearance.

Maybe some conclude that other politicians possess the same level of pettiness, narcissism, and insanity -- but they just filter it better. Thus the only thing new is that we just see more of reality now.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if that's true, the filter matters. It really matters. The inability to recognize that it is a real problem.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Make me laugh. Make me cry.

...On Golden Pond.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Even if that's true, the filter matters. It really matters. The inability to recognize that it is a real problem.

So it was good that at the time we didn't know the real LBJ?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Itā€™s time to wake up now. Get this! The only reason you exist is for my entertainment. Some of you are beautiful. Some of you can deliver a line with such conviction that you bring tears to my eyes. Some of you are so convincing that you scare the crap out of me. And others are so funny you can make me laugh uncontrollably.

But you all have one thing in common. You only exist and have a place in my world to entertain me. Thatā€™s it. Nothing else!

You make your living pretending to be someone else. You play dress-up like a 5-year-old. Your world is a make believe world. It is not real. It doesnā€™t exist. You live for the camera while the rest of us live in the real world. Your entire existence depends on my patronage. I crank the organ grinder, and you dance.

Therefore, I donā€™t care where you stand on issues. Honestly, your opinion means nothing to me. Just because you had a lead role in a movie about prostitution doesnā€™t mean you know what itā€™s like to be a prostitute. Your view matters far less to me than that of a someone living in Timbuktu .

Believe me or not, the hard truth is that you arenā€™t real. I turn off my TV or shut down my computer, and you cease to exist. Once I am done with you, I go back to the real world until I want you to entertain me again.

I donā€™t care that you think BP executives deserve the death penalty. I donā€™t care what you think about the environment. I donā€™t care if you believe fracking is bad. I donā€™t care if you call for more gun control. I donā€™t care if you believe in catastrophic human-induced global warming. And I could care less that you supported Hillary for President. Get back into your bubble. Iā€™ll let you know when Iā€™m in the mood for something pretty or scary or funny.

And one other thing. What was with all this ā€œIā€™ll leave the country if Donald Trump winsā€? Donā€™t you know how stupid that made you sound? What did you think my reaction was going to be? I better not vote for Trump or weā€™ll lose Whoopi Goldberg? Al Sharpton? Amy Schumer? Leave. I donā€™t care! And donā€™t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. Oh by the way, is Clinton returning any of the money you so generously donated to her election?

Make me laugh. Make me cry. Even scare me. But realize this, the only words of yours that matter are scripted ā€” just like your pathetic little lives. I may agree with some of you from time to time, but in the final analysis, it doesnā€™t matter. In my world, you exist solely for my entertainment. So, shut your pie hole and dance, monkey, DANCE! j

A home run response!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was good that LBJ had a filter, and the wherewithal to use it, and that his own flaws weren't so massive that they overwhelmed and subsumed the entirety of his character.

Come on, man. Would you hang out with a person who displayed behavior remotely similar to Trump?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the responses here proves that propaganda works.

And it works very well.

Frightening.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Come on, man. Would you hang out with a person who displayed behavior remotely similar to Trump?

Sure.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. I hold you in much higher regard than that.

Quote Reply
Re: Keith Olbermann Has A Message for Trump Supporters [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
JSA wrote:
You only exist and have a place in my world to entertain me. Thatā€™s it. Nothing else!

Therefore, I donā€™t care where you stand on issues.

Accurate, in total, but this part encapsulates the whole message.

So why do we care where anyone stands on any issue outside of their day job? A restauranteur only exists for my dining pleasure, Duffy only exists to mitigate the fumes from someone's refueling service (or whatever it is exactly), the IT guy only exists to keep me connected to the LR, etc. They/we still have opinions on issues of the day and get to express them while interacting with the rest of the world beyond our professional roles; the entertainer just happens to wield a bigger than avg microphone, but why does that make their opinion any LESS worthy of consideration ~ i.e., you'd be quicker to dismiss what they have to say without regard to its own merits?

FFS, the GOP's patron saint Ronnie was a Hollywood actor in his prior career, as was Arnie, and none other than Drumpf can't get enough mileage out of his turn as a fake 'reality' TV star. So obviously listening to any of them was/is a farce by that measure.

The only real difference is whether you agreed with them or not, so quit acting like that rant is any more insightful than Olbermann's or any other piece of puffery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Nailed it. The craziness of those on the right is getting weird. Like the Facebook post that showed up on my feed the other day which was telling peoplw to hurry up and stock up on guns n ammo by January 19. Really? So guns n ammo is going to disappear on January 20th? Get a clue.

I agree. Its batshit crazy.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Make me laugh. Make me cry. Even scare me. But realize this, the only words of yours that matter are scripted ā€” just like your pathetic little lives. I may agree with some of you from time to time, but in the final analysis, it doesnā€™t matter. In my world, you exist solely for my entertainment. So, shut your pie hole and dance, monkey, DANCE!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's not the lying itself- that's nothing new or even exceptional. We're in an age in which politicians feel comfortable lying and being obvious about it because they don't have to worry about being caught. They know everyone knows they're lying to start with, and they know it doesn't matter.

It's the pathological degree of pettiness and narcissism that stand out to me. Really insane. He doesn't even have the ability to self-censor himself for the sake of maintaining a normal appearance.

I read an interesting article in The Guardian today that, for the most part, offers an insightful analysis of his communicative quirks. The bias is apparent, but the analysis rings true. This paragraph in particular seems to have struck it squarely on the head:

Quote:
Simple (or absent) grammatical structures leave the audience with nothing so taxing as a train of thought: rather, a random collage of emotive terms, repeated for emphasis. You come away from a Trump speech with a feeling, not an argument.

The final paragraphs speak to his relationship with facts and truth telling:

Quote:
A related point: where Trumpā€™s language differs most profoundly from that of any of his predecessors is in his ability flatly and unblushingly to contradict himself. Iā€™m saying this not to rattle my pearls at how awful he is, but to marvel at how it works rhetorically.

Most politicians are good at being equivocal. They areā€œeconomical with the actualiteā€; they ā€œmisspeakā€; in extremis, like Bill Clinton, they may quibble over ā€œwhat the meaning of ā€˜isā€™ isā€. But they do not like to say something that is unequivocally, checkably at odds with the truth of their behaviour or with their previous statements.

This is because, as a rule, the most effectively damaging charge against a politician has been dishonesty ā€“ or its practical cousin, hypocrisy. The media can say you are wrong or even evil. But these attacks donā€™t nail you to the wall. They can be ascribed to ideological opposition or to differing interpretations of data. If you said X and you did Y, or you said X and they prove you knew Y was the case, you are sunk. You have damned yourself on your own terms.

This rule shows all signs of having been suspended for President-elect Trump. Yes, a lot of the time heā€™s vague. But when he does say things that are concrete, he says them directly: I never supported the Iraq war; Alicia Machado made a sex tape; I saw thousands of Muslims cheering 9/11; Hillary Clinton started the rumours about Obamaā€™s birth certificate but Donald Trump ā€œfinished themā€, and so on. Often those things can be proved to be untrue, or contradict something he previously said. Yet that seems to do him no harm at all.

I wonder at this as much, I imagine, as you do. My hunch is that we have an electorate so used to politicians being equivocal, and so enraged by it, that the bounce Trump gets from not sounding like that is much bigger than the demerit he incurs for being a clouds-of-smoke-billowing-from-his-pants liar. Weā€™d rather have an open liar, in other words, than a conventional politician. Letā€™s see how that works out.

I think he's far more right that wrong, here, though I think he omits the influence of selective and biased reporting, and how his supporters appeared to have adopted a bunker mentality. One overreach hit piece by a media outlet seemed to give people permission to ignore the legitimate examples of bad behavior.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next