Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So liberals are buying more guns and a lot of so called conservatives aren't liking it.
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of ties to III%er groups, gun rights groups, and the general gun culture. Not a minute goes buy where some new gun related thing doesn't pass on my facebook feed. An article by the BBC about liberals buying guns made its round. I posted that article here, but here is a referesher.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38297345

The response I have seen I would expect from the anti-gun left, but no, it is coming largely from flyover country and other so called conservatives.

In one post, I said "Liberals buying guns is a good thing. People don't often advocate taking away something they spent money on. It's also a life changing event for a lot of people in terms of understanding freedom and liberty".

A pretty benign statemtn that got more likes than most pithy statements I make on facebook about cooking or other family items.

Some response that were consistent with what I was seeing across the board in other posts:

From somebody I don't know "Let's hope I'm wrong about not wanting armed liberals because how they behave. Everyone of those cop deaths has been with legal and illegal guns used by liberal democrat gun owners"

From somebody else I don't know "The left lives in a sea of hypocrisy, they will learn nothing by owning guns."

But here are some other odd responses I saw floating, not in response to my post:

"I can't believe the mixed feeling I have right now! I usually encourage everyone I know to shoot. Not sure about this? These idiots will shoot someone because they say something offensive or hurt their feelings."

"The Dallas shooting of cops by a white hating democrat was done with a legal rifle. So I for one don't trust mentally ill people with guns (liberals are mentally ill)... Gun crime by liberals and democrats will increase.

"They should ban all libs and dems from buying guns. They should practice what they preach..."

"Liberals owning guns will kickstart the revolution Obama wants... rest not worth posting."

"Liberals should be restricted from buying any type of weapons until they can demonstrate that they have the common sense & ability to use them properly." Clearly this guy isn't familiar with how the average police man is trained.

Sound to me like too many in the gun culture like having their thing and really aren't concerned about gun rights as much as having a cause to fight, and themselves be victims. Pathetic really.

Glad that more people actually agreed with my stance that liberals owning more guns is a good thing.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: So liberals are buying more guns and a lot of so called conservatives aren't liking it. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect this has very little to do with guns and gun culture.

More likely, a reflection on the polarization that is going on in the country. The sweeping generalizations about anyone who might have different views and corresponding imputations that those people are lazy, stupid, evil, backwards, etc. It's what we see here in the LR when someone says "liberals this," "conservatives that," "Democrats are this," or "Republicans are that."
Quote Reply
Re: So liberals are buying more guns and a lot of so called conservatives aren't liking it. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do it here more for fun and reaction. I tend to be a lot more reasonable and specific when it comes to strangers ;).

But seriously, this reflects the problems I saw in the Libertarian party. A group of people who are more concerned with the big cause and not winning. If you stick to purity or excluding people who don't share your narrow view on something, the cause as a whole gets stuck.

The way I see it, if a million more liberals buy guns this month, that means a large percentage of them will become more sympathetic to my gun rights view of the world. Even if they aren't as extreme as I am, they certainly move the needle in that direction. Why wouldn't you want people to do this?

I also tend to think that liberals buying guns will mean they will shoot where they can. Sure some places will cater to that crowd (like the one in the article that catered specifically to liberals). That will create a somewhat sub-culture that isn't consistent with the rest, and that is fine. But a lot of these liberals will shoot a traditional gun clubs, outdoor ranges, etc where the gun culture is prevalent. They will engage in discussion and by the nature of loaded weapons being around, forced to listen or address rationally, and the seeds get planted over time. They learn that stupid shit like cosmetic changes, and hi-capacity magazine bans will do little to reduce gun crime, that most gun crime is in fact committed with guns that will never be banned. They become less scared of guns so media talking points ring hollow to them, etc.

All a good thing in my view.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: So liberals are buying more guns and a lot of so called conservatives aren't liking it. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, good on you. (Fighting back bile in throat)

Next, why would you expect anything else? As AS said, it's become typical of the discourse of the day. Gun owners certainly haven't struck me as any more or less enlightened than the general populace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article and the reaction to it are both pretty fascinating. In a way, this highlights how folks are more alike than they realize. The perceived polarization is a product of a very outspoken extreme fringe on both sides, and that's what people hear and repeat. We want to be unique, but hate everything that is different.

When it comes down to it, I think we all just hate ourselves.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"An article by the BBC"

You lost me there.

http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/
Photo Blog - App Trail Thru Hike March - Sept 2009

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has always baffled me, what do these people think, virtually every member of law enforcement, military vote conservative? How about Olympic shooters?
Baffles me...lol
Quote Reply
Re: So liberals are buying more guns and a lot of so called conservatives aren't liking it. [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People just can't take yes for an answer Crazy.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply