Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Things that tug on your heart strings
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd start a thread where people can share things that tug on their heart strings.

There are two things that bring tears to my eyes

1 - Children with illness, disease or other challenges. Especially this guy - Here and here: Alec Cabacungan

2 - Videos of service members coming home and being greeted by their families. Like Here
Quote Reply
Re: Things that tug on your heart strings [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just about anything having to do with dogs and/or service members.

That commercial about the wounded soldier (has one artificial leg) who adopts a puppy and the woman says, "well, he's been through a lot." Holy shit. Water works.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Thought I'd start a thread where people can share things that tug on their heart strings.

1 - Children with illness, disease or other challenges. Especially this guy - Here and here: Alec Cabacungan

2 - Videos of service members coming home and being greeted by their families. Like Here

1. Children who are hurt or suffering

2. Animals who are hurt or suffering

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Judes commercial

ASPCA commercials

Certain songs

This scene and the music

Quote | Reply
Too many to list. Really.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kids ganging up on other kids. Just last night, my wife (a school assistant) and daughter were recounting an incident on the playground where a group of 5th graders were taunting one of their academically-slow classmates, and no one came to his defense.

How does that kid go home and explain his day to his parents? My bullies lived in the same house, so I can't imagine the shame of informing your parents that you're the kid who gets picked on or beat up at school.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When they do those montage video things at weddings (ie showing pictures of the kids growing up, etc.) its over... i'm a grown adult male who is crying. Gold help me when my kids get married - i'm going to be a mess.

Last year when Canada started allowing the Syrian refugees in and they had all the stories on the news meeting the first families at the at the airport I just randomly started crying every time. Naturally my much less sensitive wife started making fun of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most inexplicable to me. Well acted war movies or westerns that follow people who are/become close friends and one dies. They don't even have to be set up as a tearjerker.

Never been in the military, never had a real close friend die. But I always have something in my eye after those. Band of Brothers was brutal for me.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to many of the ones already listed above... lonely- and/or sad-looking old people sitting alone in restaurants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Abused children get me every time. Not just the typical physical or verbal abuse that everyone can recognize as abuse, but kids who have parents providing for their material needs but neglecting the emotional needs of the kids. The most important thing a kid can have, in my opinion, is a safe place where they know they're loved unconditionally. When I see a kid that doesn't have that, it kills me.

I saw the movie Manchester By the Sea last week. That ripped me apart. It's sad, as a lot of movies are, but what crushed me about it was the fact that it seemed all too relatable, as if it or a similar enough situation could happen to me or anyone I know. I won't give it away, but will say that it's a human interest story that sits on the knife's-edge of despair & pain, which is something that always gets me because those things are so acute around us all and our communities daily, just on smaller scales than the movie.

Elderly people who don't have anyone around or whose family doesn't really care about them enough to come by. I get it, some elderly people did that to themselves with past behavior that drove people away, but it's still sad to see someone all alone.

There are probably a million I could list. I'm far from an outwardly emotional person -- probably like a damn robot with that stuff in some ways -- but I'm deeply compassionate and internalize stuff & can't overlook suffering & pain when I see it, but these are the top ones that get me.

rick_pcfl wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A video of TheForge accidently blowing his big toe off at the range because he forgot the safety was off.

But seriously, abused children & pets are at the top of the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pass a dingy motel on my way to work. The other morning I was running late so I caught the school bus stopping there. Damn near cried.

Last year I heard the interview (NPR) with the Canadian brother in law of the father whose young boy drowned and his picture face down on the Italian beach became a global sensation. Not even the interviewer could keep it together. I'm crying just thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abused or neglected children and animals

ESPN 30 for 30

heroic actions/generosity

most things...
Quote Reply
Re: Things that tug on your heart strings [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have another one of the cheerful variety so that I don't leave you with that horrifying picture.

My 2.5 year old daughter was the flower girl at my wife's cousin's wedding last summer. It was a fancy affair at a nice mountain resort so we spent too much money to make her look like a princess.

On the big day she was the first to walk down the isle - when she entered there was an audible gasp by pretty much the entire crowd at how cute she was. Both my wife and I shed a tear over that:).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn Publix commercials! Get me and my wife every time. My wife likes to mute the commercials, and this one was still making her tear up even on mute.
It's definitely the hope that our kids grow up with that kind of compassion that makes you notice and appreciate it elsewhere. Even on TV commercials

Quote Reply
Re: Things that tug on your heart strings [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call on more lighthearted ones. Whenever I come home and my 3 year old daughter runs to the door to hug me & say "I wubba you, Daddy!", it gets me. My 6 year old son drew a picture at school a couple months ago and captioned it, "This weekend I hope I can play Legos with my Daddy," which had me on a high for a few weeks. Lately, excited-to-see-you dogs have had the effect on me. I think it might be time to get a dog again & have that every day.

SailorSam wrote:
I have another one of the cheerful variety so that I don't leave you with that horrifying picture.

My 2.5 year old daughter was the flower girl at my wife's cousin's wedding last summer. It was a fancy affair at a nice mountain resort so we spent too much money to make her look like a princess.

On the big day she was the first to walk down the isle - when she entered there was an audible gasp by pretty much the entire crowd at how cute she was. Both my wife and I shed a tear over that:).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate the American Lung Association commercials showing the dying family members and children. To the point where I now leave the room. The one where the woman is dancing with her dying husband is really bad.

I don't smoke, never have, and no one in my close circle smokes. All it does is bum me out. It has no affect on my behavior.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snowflakes....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the biggies are on this list already so here's a random one. Two years ago this commercial, for whatever reason, hit a chord with me. Watched it over and over for weeks, one night I got drunk and watched it probably twenty times, cried during half of them. And in digging it back up and watching it again, I still got chills when the older brother gave him the glove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6WW8SRjrEc

Just hits me in a weird spot. Otherwise it's basically sick kids and animals.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Jan 5, 17 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Things that tug on your heart strings [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar one. It's the Subaru ad that starts with a guy writing out a list of activities for he and his dog to do. He then sets off with his dog in his Subaru, driving all over and doing fun stuff for the dog like visiting the dog's 'old girlfriend', swimming in a pool, sitting on the beach, etc. If you just watch the ad as-is, it's sweet but in my heart, I know there's more to the story that they're not telling us.

The way I see it, the guy knows his dog is dying and he's taking him to do all these things to make his last days the best they can be before he has to make that awful decision and say goodbye.

When I hear the opening lines of that ad, I change channels immediately so that my wife doesn't see tears rolling down my cheeks for no apparent reason. Hell, just the lyrics that go along with the ad damn near set me off....

"You're my buddy, my pal, my friend.
It'll be that way until the end.
And wherever I go,
I want you to know.
You're my buddy, my pal, my friend"

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Things that tug on your heart strings [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Elderly people who don't have anyone around or whose family doesn't really care about them enough to come by. I get it, some elderly people did that to themselves with past behavior that drove people away, but it's still sad to see someone all alone.
This. Sure people bring badness onto themselves, but it baffles me how so many offspring who can engage in patient dumping of their parents and/or live many miles away and pay for nursing care just to avoid dealing with them. Heck, my father has been hospitalized and in nursing care for over three months and is privilege to see me at least two times a day, mostly three.

The commercials and pet police shows that have thin wet dogs standing in rain or snow chained up to a fence can bring a bucket of tears therefore, I change the channel.

Abuse of children in all forms.

Seeing faces after terrorist attacks or natural catastrophes is commonplace anymore but it makes me sad to see the helpless wandering without much hope.