Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick
Quote | Reply
Hi all, trying to decide which of these 2 I should get. I believe both of these will meet all my needs but I am wondering if either of them have positives or negatives that I am not aware. The Firestick will cost me $10 more at $40 and the Chromecast is currently on sale for $30.
I plan to use it for:
Screen mirror of my Samsung Galaxy Tab A
HBO Go/Now
Youtube
Xfinity Go App (Can't use the App but can mirror the screen I believe)
Amazon Prime video (Chromecast will have to be screen mirror I believe)

I like the idea of no remote with the Chromecast. Is the remote on the Firestick any good? Trying to avoid many steps to loading up shows etc.

I know you guys know everything so I came here first. Thoughts on these options?
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chromecast. No question. There is nothing on your screen that it cannot cast.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Browser mirroring with Chromecast typically sucks in my experiences. If the app (Netflix, HBO GO, etc) doesn't use Chromecast I've found it's not worth trying to cast.

I'm not familiar with Fire Stick, but am also looking into one. I have seen Amazon's Fire TV, it seems just fine, has a ton of apps reloaded, but I'm not sure if you can add more. I assume the Fire Stick is a scaled down version. The remote was fairly simple, I'd bet you could even program the Fire remote functions into a universal remote.

If Amazon would get off their high horse and allow native Chromecasting life would be good.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have experience w/ Chromecast, but does it have an interface that is menu driven to let you directly access netflix, prim, HBO, YouTube, ESPN, etc...?

Firestick does. As to the firestick remote...its OK. Not sure what makes a good remote though. Seems pretty basic and does the job.

Another bonus is you can load the Kodi app onto a Firestick and get access to all sorts of free content. If not sure what Kodi is and can do, look it up. Not sure if Kodi can be loaded and integrated onto a Chromecast stick. Probably can though.

I think you can also load an app onto the Firestick (via Kodi) that will let you use your cell phone as the remote for the Firestick. So you can actually get rid of the separate remote and just drive it all from your phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

If Amazon would get off their high horse and allow native Chromecasting life would be good.

Can you explain what this means? I don't understand it but it seems important
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Can you explain what this means? I don't understand it but it seems important

Chromecast works with the hulu app, netflix, YouTube, etc etc. Amazon prime video is proprietary so their app doesnt work with chromecast. You need to cast the screen then open amazon video. It works fine, its just an extra step that takes a few seconds.

The best thing about chromecast is that there is no remote. You just stream from your phone, tablet, computer, etc. You just tap the screen and it starts playing, pause, skip, etc. Better than a seperate remote imo.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon Prime Video doesn't have a chromecast capability built in to it's video player as Netflix does. You can open a Chrome browser and play Amazon vidoe, then cast the browser, but the quality is far less than through the actual chromecast app.

I primarily watch Netflix, HBO GO, and Amazon Prime so a Chromecast device only covers 2/3 of my needs directly from my laptop.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should check into this but during the christmas sales Chromecast was running a promotion with 3 months free HBO Now. Almost bought another one (I have a 1st gen unit and it is great).
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kodi is available in the google play store. I have installed it on my phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate amazons interface for anything - the Prime Video or Amazon Music user experience is such a mess
I got a cheap fire tablet for my 5 year old and I hate using it
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both, for Christmas a friend gave me a T95M android box and I prefer that over both.

Comes installed with Kodi (if that is any interest for you) but just in the short time I have had it I find it runs smoother than my chromecast and firestick for the apps I use (sling, plex, netflix)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get both.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
I hate amazons interface for anything - the Prime Video or Amazon Music user experience is such a mess
I got a cheap fire tablet for my 5 year old and I hate using it

Ditto. They UX team should be embarrassed. Or, maybe they don't have a team.

FWIW, I have Chromecast and like it. I use an XBOX for Amazon Prime app. I use the XBOX for most of the apps and streamlining but like to cast youtube videos from my phone to the chromecast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Related is the fact Amazon is doing all they can to own the voice actived environment:

"As Neal Boudette and Nick Wingfield report, Ford Motor Company is working with Amazon to allow Alexa, Amazon’s voice-activated virtual assistant, to work inside Ford’s vehicles."

Whirlpool’s appliances are to be integrated with Alexa, so you can just tell your dishwasher to get going.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Fire Stick for Christmas, and I really like it. The remote is easy enough to use. You can also just say something like "Watch Vikings" and it takes you to the show.
Quote Reply