Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chameleon in the men's department
Quote | Reply
I hit the Nordstrom men's sale over the weekend and left baffled. I overheard a salesman speaking with a customer. He (the salesman) had a thick Latin accent - I'm sure it was him because he was asking the customer if wanted anything else; socks, underware... I think nothing of it. Another salesman helps me. When I go to pay the first salesman is at the cash register, I'm making small talk with my guy and the first guy chimes and in on our conversation- in perfectly normal North American English.
What the hell! Does this guy change with his clients? Ever seen this kind of behavior before? Done it yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: Chameleon in the men's department [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, when I am here at home in Northwest Florida, I affect southern terms, such as "y'all" and a drawl or twang. When I go back to my hometown of Denver, I speak proper English.

I found that Southerners don't like you if you sound like a Yankee.
Quote Reply
Re: Chameleon in the men's department [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nosmo king wrote:
Yes, when I am here at home in Northwest Florida, I affect southern terms, such as "y'all" and a drawl or twang. When I go back to my hometown of Denver, I speak proper English.

I found that Southerners don't like you if you sound like a Yankee.

Colorado was in the Union in 1865?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
I hit the Nordstrom men's sale over the weekend and left baffled. I overheard a salesman speaking with a customer. He (the salesman) had a thick Latin accent - I'm sure it was him because he was asking the customer if wanted anything else; socks, underware... I think nothing of it. Another salesman helps me. When I go to pay the first salesman is at the cash register, I'm making small talk with my guy and the first guy chimes and in on our conversation- in perfectly normal North American English.
What the hell! Does this guy change with his clients? Ever seen this kind of behavior before? Done it yourself?

Every time Hillary Clinton made a speech south of the Mason-Dixon line.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Chameleon in the men's department [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Southerner terms, if your state wasn't in the CSA, by definition, you're a Yankee. I tried using history on them, but it didn't sink in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who was born in England but moved here when he was maybe 9 or 10. The accent is gone, but comes out pretty thick when he's trying to charm a woman, or he's talking about soccer. It's incredibly annoying.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm in da hood I speak Ebonics, yo.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I speak Spanish around others that do. Sometimes it throws them a bit.

My accent apparently fits nowhere. People in northern IL would always ask if I was born downstate. Now people in NC ask where I was born (right here- at Presbyterian). Usually greeted with "huh? But you sound like you're from up north someplace".

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Chameleon in the men's department [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:

Every time Hillary Clinton made a speech south of the Mason-Dixon line.

You mean like Romney's sudden hankerin' for grits when it was his turn to campaign down there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered at the drive thru once with a Scottish accent while with my wife once. I didn't plan it at the time it just came out and I went with it. She looks at me in the most WTF look and I just smiled, drove up to pay and completed the transaction with the same accent.
Not sure why it happened as it hasn't happened since but she did get a little chuckle out of it.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally love listening to an NPR story and hearing the reporter break their perfect Midwest North American English at the end when they pronounce their name. "And this story was brought to you by" (perfect Midwest pronunciation) "Marisol Dominguez" (in the most Bolivian of accents). It cracks me up every single time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Texas and it is pretty common to hear hispanic folks change how they speak when talking to each other versus the rest of "us".

Perfect english normally, but when talking directly to another hispanic they will switch to either pronouncing a lot of english words with an accent or directly flip to speaking spanish or a mix of spanish/english. It's kind of interesting to see how fluid it is and how they switch on/off depending on who they're talking to.

Normally they will happily flip to speaking spanish with white folks too, but you have to initiate it so they know you speak the language.

Quite frankly, I hardly notice it anymore. Spanish is so ubiquitous here, it is part of the Texan culture.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember watching an interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Interviewer asked him about his accent. He completely changed his accent to a normal american accent then switched back to his Austrian accent. He lost it a long time ago.

He basically admitted his publicists told him to use his Austrian accent because it helps sell him. So he acts it all the time in public but privately he doesn't have one anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at work , "Good evening”
on stage , “ kick out the jams MFs"

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Chameleon in the men's department [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I personally love listening to an NPR story and hearing the reporter break their perfect Midwest North American English at the end when they pronounce their name. "And this story was brought to you by" (perfect Midwest pronunciation) "Marisol Dominguez" (in the most Bolivian of accents). It cracks me up every single time.

No shit, kinda like what's her face on the cooking shows with a jarring "blah blah blah Pan-CETT-a blah blah..." I've been to Italy and nobody spoke that hyper-theatrically unless they were overtly hamming it up for the tourists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob Ford used to go full on Jamaican when he was drunk.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Chameleon in the men's department [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
No shit, kinda like what's her face on the cooking shows with a jarring "blah blah blah Pan-CETT-a blah blah..." I've been to Italy and nobody spoke that hyper-theatrically unless they were overtly hamming it up for the tourists.
Would help if she pronounced it correctly

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tone down my accent pretty much all the time to make myself easier to understand (especially at work, although people from the UK and Australia typically pick up that I'm Welsh quite quickly even through my modified accent). The most notable exceptions are when I speak with friends/family from back home and just slip back into my "normal" accent - my wife has said she has a hard time following along with some of those conversations.

A sales clerk at a store once told me I sounded like Mel Gibson, which was a bit of a WTF moment.
Quote Reply