Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dear Mr President,
Quote | Reply
“I wonder how well you have been sleeping these last nights? Mothers and fathers all over our beloved land are spending sleepless nights worrying again over their boys being sent to fight wars on foreign soil—wars that are no concern of ours.”

—Letter to the President from the parent of a U.S. soldier

Talk about discouraging. All year long the negative numbers about the war rolled in like the tide. The President’s approval rating in the Gallup poll bottomed out at 23 percent. Another poll showed that 43 percent of Americans thought it was a mistake to have entered the war. The enthusiasm from early victories quickly evaporated.

Opposition party members spared no effort in blasting the President and his Administration. One senator called the Secretary of Defense a “living lie,” and another called for the Secretary’s resignation. The most bombastic senator went so far as to call the Secretary a traitor. Another senator began using the President’s name when referring to the war, and his intention wasn’t to honor the Commander in Chief.

Newspapers and magazines also joined the frenzy. A New York Times editorial characterized the Administration’s war misjudgments “a colossal military blunder.” A front-page editorial in the Chicago Tribune called for immediate impeachment proceedings against the President. Time said he was “responsible for one of the worst military disasters in history.”

The pessimism was not confined to the opposition. Members of the President’s own Administration shared the negative mood. His Secretary of Defense conceded, “We were at our lowest point.” The British Prime Minister believed that the conflict should be abandoned in order to focus resources on protecting Europe. The British leader flew to Washington to lecture the American leader on how to run the conflict after the President performed badly at a news conference.

The above was about Harry Truman and the war was in Korea.

The letter quoted above was typical of the mail Truman received, as his letters ran 20-1 against the war. The term “Truman’s War,” coined by Nebraska Republican Kenneth Wherry, became an epithet. “To err is Truman” was a clever saying of the time. George C. Marshall, Truman’s Secretary of Defense, was vilified by the right wing and singled out for special abuse by Joseph McCarthy. When he announced that he would not run in 1952, virtually no one—including Democrats—was sorry to see Truman go.

But a funny thing happened after Truman left office. Historians and the public began to realize the importance of what he had done in standing up militarily to Communism in Asia. It is frightening to think what would have happened if Truman had heeded British leader Clement Atlee’s call to forsake Asia in order to safeguard Europe. With Korea gone and China already lost to the communists, the defense of Japan might have been impossible. Imagine the hardworking, industrialized Japanese as part of the Soviet or Chinese sphere.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vietnam was also a pretty unpopular war... good thing we've learned in hindsight how valuable our efforts were there.

Is that Truman stuff supposed to be some parallel to the insane nonsense we're seeing today?
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [adamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course. If the identity of the president was not given you would have incorrectly assumed it was addressed to president Bush. The same goes for the rest of the information. Point being that the antiwar crowd was wrong then and they are wrong now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point is neither the Korean War or the Vietnam War are good comparisons with the Iraq War, which should be judged on it's own merits.

Point being that the antiwar crowd was wrong then and they are wrong now.

So your evidence for the propriety of the Iraq war is attempting to create a proper rationale for a war 5 decades ago?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't setbacks in wars often the fault of the liberal media? ;-) You mean to tell us there was an anti-military liberal media 55 years ago? I guess the conspiracy really goes back ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Validating a current event based on someone's opinion and reporting of a past, unrelated event. With logic like that, it's no wonder we're in Iraq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this only goes to prove that the public is never fooled by rhetoric by military disasters. What did we prove in Korea? (btw my father fought there as a ground solider)

Also, while there was merit to the Containment policy of Korea and Vietnam, this policy has nothing to do with the current engagement in Iraq.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Korea and Vietnam were failures because we engaged in a war without having victory as our primary goal. That is a lesson that President Bush has well learned and is accepting nothing less than victory before pulling troops from Iraq.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What constitutes a victory in Iraq?
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Vietnam was also a pretty unpopular war... good thing we've learned in hindsight how valuable our efforts were there. "

Efforts in Vietnam would have shown their true value if the commitment had been applied just a little longer. The Vietcong had finally lost patience, gotten over confident and come out of their guerrilla warfare 'holes' and exposed themselves during the Tet Offensive. So what did the US troops have to do? ... withdraw. (lesson learnt to apply to Iraq ie finish what's started)

As a result Vietnam is not a South Korea and could easily have been or even surpassed and be a thriving wealthy nation contributing to the rest of the world at large. Instead we now have the phenomena that's called capitalistic communism which breeds self serving greed right from the the bottom all the way to the top of the social scale.

To criticise US participation in the Vietnam War is to glorify the decadent anti-war marching, drug taking, no work ethic fad and prevailing youth mentality of the 60's and early 70's. It promotes a misconception about the real situation of USAs defeat, which wasn't at the hands of the VC. Worse of all it disrespects and trivializes the efforts, sufferings and deaths of those who fought that war to promote democracy and human rights.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you serious? You look at North Korea and South Korea today and you want to know what we proved?

If a glance at the two countries doesn't answer your question for you, nothing I say will either.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Point is neither the Korean War or the Vietnam War are good comparisons with the Iraq War, which should be judged on it's own merits."

Point is with the Iraq War the real conflict is not confined to just the one country and the threat comes right to our doorstep as it does to so many other countries. Besides the countries ruled by fundamentalist Islam, everyone else is a potential target. Yes on merit the stakes involved with Iraq are so much higher.

Not good comparisons, but good contrasts.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What constitutes a victory in Iraq?"

1) An establishment of a democratically voted government.

2) Acountry where people have better opportunity and the country itself is in a position to start functioning micro and macro economically.

3) Where the country is pretty well secured against insurgence mainly with it's own forces.

etc.

You don't need to be a genius but you do need to be a realist and not a cynic to accept this basic simple concept. Thing is beyond just Iraq, this victory is just so crucial on so many levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow armytriguy does make very good valid points illustrated aptly by his Dear Mr President letter.

The main point being that our President Bush despite all the criticisms is one upright leader doing the right thing with the right motives. His commitment and steadfastness is something that is a huge assett to the USA and the rest of the world. Sometime in the future it is likely people will appreciate that more fully.

I only pray that our next leader will continue in the same vain.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Along similiar lines...if Truman had allowed MacArthur to achieve victory in Korea there is no doubt we would not have a North Korean regime to deal with today. Imagine if we did pull our troops leaving a broken Iraq and then dealing with the ensuing headache for the next 50 years. I just don't understand why some people are afraid of or want to deny victory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our president is a lying douche bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A douche bag I'm so grateful to have! I just hope the next douche bag will have the kahunas to continue the good work.
Last edited by: kangaroo: Nov 19, 05 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider this from a broader international perspective.

Mr Hendrix, you consider our Mr Bush a douche bag? Check out the countries where our beloved Muslim brothers live in. I mean the ones that have all that oil and some which have oil and a whole lot of other natural resources as well. A cursory look will reveal that their Muslim leaders are filthy rich and so are the rest of their families and close friends. Some of which literally are conferred titles and wealth but are really non-contributing bums. The rest of the nation is pretty much still in hand to mouth type poverty.

Those who are well travelled will know this first hand.

Now those leaders are literally douche bags, sucking the blood endlessly from their own people whom they are supposed to lead and care for. Best part is the people including the educated accept this as the norm to be expected.

In contrast the President of the USA has the job and responsibility of being the CEO of the biggest and most poweful organization on earth. He get's paid a pittance and hence had better be pretty self-sufficient before he takes on the job. Get's no respect from the people he has sworn to serve and protect in the capacity of leader. And he get's so many people mostly of much less substance and acumen than himself calling him names like douche bag!

Sheesh what a job!
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr President, [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You betcha on the North Korea. Lose lose situation for all including those poverty struck living in the country. What a contrast to the South.

Only this time the repurcussions are not just contained in that one country. Besides the let down of the Iraqi people and the regional repurcussions, it will also fuel the terrorist plague that has already manifested itself globally.

This time the job really needs to be finished to a proper conclusion. Too much is at stake. I'm only worried about Bush's replacement.

Talking about the withdrawal and it's debate in Congress, and Presidential candidates, I'm sure I saw Kerry on the TV denouncing the people who criticised John Murtha for his instigation for the Iraqi withdrawal. He made big fanfare out of Murthas pedigree as war hero coming from a line of generations of war heroes and contrasted it to his critics who never donned a uniform etc etc. Accept that he referred to John Murtha as Jack Murtha. Or is his name really Jack and it was the CNN news crew who mistakingly called the old guy John instead of Jack ???? Since I'm admitedly ignorant myself I'll stay tuned to get that guy's real name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not too worried about Bush's replacement. President Rice will stay the course. :)
Quote Reply