Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottom Bracket Rear Brake Replacement
Quote | Reply

I have a 2015 Felt B14 that has the rear brake mounted at the bottom bracket. After using the bike outdoors for one season I noticed that the rear brake was not working effectively. Upon further investigation I realized that one arm of the caliper was barely moving and lacked the release and spring back like the other arm. While removing the brake from the bike, the arm that was not working properly came apart and the brass bushing it rotates around was stuck (corroded) onto the post it mounts to. I lubricated and reassembled it with some improvement but it never performed with the same functionality it originally had. After a season of babying this along I’ve decided it must be replaced.

The bike came with the TRP 922.1 brake (shown below). This brake mounts on two posts (bosses) on the frame that have small holes for the spring to coil against. When it worked properly it did offer good stopping power but in my opinion lacked ease of adjustment when shifting from wide rim to narrow rim wheels. Before replacing it with another TRP brake I wanted to see what other options I might have, especially with improved adjustability. It looks like the TriRig Omega X or SV (if I can find one) would be options but at a significantly higher price. I’m not familiar enough with the Shimano line to know if they offer a design that would work with this mounting system or if there is something else I should be considering. Any experience, thoughts, or opinions would be appreciated before I replace this brake.

Thanks
Roger

Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Rear Brake Replacement [oldgoldtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTT

Still seeking to identify an option or waiting on a TriRig sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First question... Are you sure that it is a TRP 922.1 brake? Felt's site simply lists it as a "Felt Aero TT / Tri."

I am not familiar with the 922.1 brake or its mounting system. But, the TRP website offers little encouragement. It says "This brake is not Shimano Direct mount compatible and will only work with bikes designed for this brake." So, I assume that your options are pretty limited. In fact, you would probably need to confirm whether the Omega X brake's adapter is compatible.

If you could figure out an adapter, I would recommend the Ultegra direct mount as an less expensive alternative to an Omega X or another TRP. I like the Ultagra DM, because it has a top pull rather than a side pull cable entry. This simplifies the cable run and gives you a cleaner, lower friction brake route.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Rear Brake Replacement [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can confirm that it is a TRP 922.1 brake used on the B14 setup. I had to lookup the user manual to figure out how to adjust to fit my new carbon rims. I do agree it is a horrible setup and doesn't make for easy adjustments. I'd also like to hear about any prossible replacements for it but i have a feeling that felt designed the frame mounts to specifically work with this brake alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Rear Brake Replacement [MarkD214] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple updates on this from another thread... Tririg Omega X brakes are compatible with that TRP standard, and the Dura Ace 7800 direct mount brake will also work.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Felt_B14_Aero_Help_[SBRmd]_P6226887
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldgoldtri wrote:

I have a 2015 Felt B14 that has the rear brake mounted at the bottom bracket. After using the bike outdoors for one season I noticed that the rear brake was not working effectively. Upon further investigation I realized that one arm of the caliper was barely moving and lacked the release and spring back like the other arm. While removing the brake from the bike, the arm that was not working properly came apart and the brass bushing it rotates around was stuck (corroded) onto the post it mounts to. I lubricated and reassembled it with some improvement but it never performed with the same functionality it originally had. After a season of babying this along I’ve decided it must be replaced.

The bike came with the TRP 922.1 brake (shown below). This brake mounts on two posts (bosses) on the frame that have small holes for the spring to coil against. When it worked properly it did offer good stopping power but in my opinion lacked ease of adjustment when shifting from wide rim to narrow rim wheels. Before replacing it with another TRP brake I wanted to see what other options I might have, especially with improved adjustability. It looks like the TriRig Omega X or SV (if I can find one) would be options but at a significantly higher price. I’m not familiar enough with the Shimano line to know if they offer a design that would work with this mounting system or if there is something else I should be considering. Any experience, thoughts, or opinions would be appreciated before I replace this brake.

Thanks
Roger

The new Omega X looks like it is fully compatible according to their compatability chart here -> http://www.tririg.com/...p;page=compatibility

The brake is only $60 more than a replacement TRP brake and they have a sale on now for 10% off. I'm seriously thinking about getting one as adjusting that rear on the felt is horrendous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new Omega SV that I bought as a replacement for my TRP undermount but never used before selling the bike. I hated the TRP. It looked like the Omega would have been a huge improvement if I had kept the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkD214 wrote:
The new Omega X looks like it is fully compatible according to their compatability chart here -> http://www.tririg.com/...p;page=compatibility

The brake is only $60 more than a replacement TRP brake and they have a sale on now for 10% off. I'm seriously thinking about getting one as adjusting that rear on the felt is horrendous.
Just do it! The brake is wonderful. I have a pair of them on my IA 16, and they are worth every penny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up on the TriRig sale. I've been holding out since I'm only doing trainer work outs right now. I placed my order and am hopeful this works a lot better. I will wait to see how this mounts but maybe I won't have to remove the brass sleeve stuck to the brake mounting post.

Roger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldgoldtri wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the TriRig sale. I've been holding out since I'm only doing trainer work outs right now. I placed my order and am hopeful this works a lot better. I will wait to see how this mounts but maybe I won't have to remove the brass sleeve stuck to the brake mounting post.

Roger

Im not sure what sleeve youre referring to but fron what i can tell from their installation instructions you will nees to mount the Low DM adapter to your existing brake mounts and then the omega mounts directly onto the adapter with a single screw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look back to the first post you'll see that my TRP brake came apart when I removed it from the bike. The inner brass bushing, or sleeve, is corroded to one of the brake mounting post. It's not going to come off easily and not likely in one piece. If the Omega bracket fits over this bushing then I won't have to remove it. It's not thick at all so I have my fingers crossed.

Roger
Last edited by: oldgoldtri: Mar 1, 17 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I just installed a Tektro T741R https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=55 on a new Felt FR1 build. It is simple, elegant, powerful, and easy to adjust. The barrel adjustor is where it should be, doing away with inline adjustors, QR's,
and the like. They only seem to be available directly from Tektro as they are pretty much an OEM only product.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Rear Brake Replacement [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received my Omega X. I haven't started the install yet but I did watch TriRig's video. In the video it appears he removed the brake mount posts and then installed the mounting adapter. Am I correct that these need to be removed? Did you remove the rear brake posts on your IA? If so, did you use any lubricant, heat, etc.?

If anyone else has removed these posts, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Roger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the canti studs must be removed in order to install the Omega X and it's Direct-Mount Adapter. It takes a good deal of force to remove the studs, as they are typically installed with thread locker compound. I've done it myself on many bikes, it just takes a lot of torque. Many people think or assume that too much torque in removing them will damage something, but it never does. Just get a good wrench and turn. They are standard threaded, so counter-clockwise to remove.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Mar 4, 17 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Rear Brake Replacement [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig, thanks for the reply and advice. The fit and finish of the brake, as well as the smooth and simplistic movement, make this look like a really nice upgrade.

Roger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand the Omega-x does not fit the Felt DA because it uses linear pull brakes. And these have the studs in a different position in respect to direct mount brakes.

However, I should be able to build an adapter provided I have the specs, that is, the distance between linear pull brakes studs and direct mount bolt locations. Do you know this dimension or where I can find it?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Rear Brake Replacement [argmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry but I can't endorse or assist with that use case, as we haven't tested it ourselves and can't ensure it's safety. I know you're just asking for dimensions, but I don't want to tacitly endorse the use you're suggesting without knowing it's safe first.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to successfully remove the posts on my Felt B14 without issue. A 5/16" wrench fit mine and I slipped a short pipe over the end of it for some additional leverage. I really appreciate the stainless steel hardware given the environment this brake operates in. I need to swing by the bike shop tomorrow to pick a cable housing ferrule and a cable end cap to complete my installation.

One question, from my car maintenance and repair work I have developed the habit of using blue thread lock on nearly all threads. Any reason you would advise against it?

Roger
Quote Reply