50 kick
4 x 100 odds fast 1:11s
200 fast 2:27
100 easy
200 fast 2:28
25 kick
125 easy

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: January SWIM CHALLENGE: Swim 4x a week [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After looking at knee anatomy, I think you're right. I've damaged a knee ligament. I'm thinking it's this thing called an articular capsule. Sucks! This weekend's 18k race is on and I'm gonna hurt it more!
But, I did get in the cold ocean (54 deg) this morning for an invigorating 3200 yard swim, starting before sunrise. My foot stayed numb for a good hour afterwards. The rest of me was fine.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: January SWIM CHALLENGE: Swim 4x a week [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm thinking it's this thing called an articular capsule. Sucks! This weekend's 18k race is on and I'm gonna hurt it more!

Isn't age supposed to come with some wisdom :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My January swim totals: 18 times = 33,175 yards

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking it's this thing called an articular capsule. Sucks! This weekend's 18k race is on and I'm gonna hurt it more!

Isn't age supposed to come with some wisdom :-)

No. It only comes with gray hair, pain and Alzheimers :(
I got in 59,585 yards in January. Just so-so

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a good swim with the masters group last night. I ran 4 miles a couple hours before the swim and left calf was tightening up, nearly cramped before mile 1 so stopped, rubbed it out then proceded at an easier pace. Wasn't sure how'd the swim would go. Turned out to be a very good swim, 3,100 SCY. We had a 200 "for time" at the end and I went 2:41.9 which is pretty fast for me. My fastest 200 in a meet over the last 6-7 years was around 2:30 so I think I'm close to that.

January total was 13 swims for 39,175 yards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for organizing challenge - kept me motivated to get out from under the warm down comforter in the morning and go swim!

Got in 20 swims and just under 45K. Consistent swimming is making my times drop, but I am still slow!

Looking forward to Feb challenge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The second half of this month, I spent every push off dolphin kicking as far as I could under water. Part of this was a plan to work on my core strength and also on my streamline. My "times" generally went down, but I got to the point where I am emerging around 1/3 the way down the pool, way past the flags. An interesting thing happened while doing this. My kicking days got waaaaay easier, and I feel I am riding higher in the water during normal freestyle. The hard part is if I go too far, I get hypoxic and my first three strokes of free are just gasping for air to recover! I want to think all this core work will also help my running when I get back to real running, but we'll see. I have a decent six pack going under my gorilla fur layer for a 50 something year old though thanks to all the swimming and dolphin kicking
Quote Reply

Prev Next