Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel momentum?
Quote | Reply
I am curious if certain wheels hold speed better, even though they might not have as good drag numbers? I remember reading on this like 10years ago and the hed H3 where the best at this. A lot has changed in wheel design I am curious if this still holds true?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel momentum? [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's really two ways of looking at the whole "holding speed" idea. 1) Increased angular momentum 2) Power saving design

The first one is a bit more obvious than the second. If the wheel has more mass (especially toward the rim) then it is going to have more angular momentum at speeds. (larger moment of inertia) This is going to help keep you at a constant speed. This means that it is going to be harder to accelerate and decelerate. However, this is typically not what people are looking for in bike wheels.

What people are generally referring to when they say that a wheel "holds speed" is how it saves the rider energy. This is typically done through aerodynamics but it can also have to do with the rolling resistance of the tire (which is affected by rim width) as well as decreased friction in the bearings/freehub.

Short answer: Wheels that "hold speed better" are characterized by good aerodynamics. If you want to get technical though (and extremely hypothetical), a wheel with a rim weight of 200lbs is going to hold speed better than any aero wheel out there. (but good luck getting it up to speed)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel momentum? [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed Stalingrads are the best at holding speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel momentum? [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually was fooled by the Stalingrads years ago when I was doing research into heavy wheels. I was wrecking havic on ST posting my obscure thoughts and theories about heavy wheels when some one told me about the Stalingrads and showed me the article. I some how did not notice the date of publication. I even emailed HED asking how much for a pair. If I had the money I might commission a metal worker to construct a pair of super heavy wheels, although mine which have a different design in mind will be named "Rampager Heavy Elites". I was/am very interested on what it would actually be like if you rode on 20kilo or so wheels. I do have two disk wheels that weigh 7 (The Chunky Churner) and 12 pounds (The Air Hammer) made from spooked wheels. The Chunky Churner managed to claim one age group bike time trail record for a couple months down at the Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte N.C. 28mph avg for 10miles. As a injury knocked me out of racing they are just collecting dust now.
Last edited by: honestly: Apr 3, 17 18:01
Quote Reply