Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Costa Rica Runs Fossil Free for 270 days of 2016
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Costa Rica Runs Fossil Free for 270 days of 2016 [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impossible. Can't be done.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Costa Rica Runs Fossil Free for 270 days of 2016 [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, we cannot have hydro in the US b/c we already fight over water, it adversely impacts the fishies, and changes the landscape.

We cannot have wind power in the US b/c it is ugly and kills too many birdies.

We cannot have geothermal b/c it releases too many emissions, costs too much to set up, is unstable, and is largely believed to be unsustainable.

But, interesting to see a country, basically the size of a medium sized US state, do this.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should also be noted that solar electricity is not widely used in Costa Rica now. There is a lot of corruption in government, so the electric company tried to tax people who generated solar electricity. Thankfully, that law did not make it and people can now use solar without paying fees. I expect to see a lot more people using solar in the future because the sun is so powerful near the equator.
Quote Reply
Re: Costa Rica Runs Fossil Free for 270 days of 2016 [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting background, I wondered why the percentage of solar generation was so low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#fakenews

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Costa Rica Runs Fossil Free for 270 days of 2016 [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's fake about it? Looks like they've been building towards this for years. Good for them!
Quote Reply
Re: Costa Rica Runs Fossil Free for 270 days of 2016 [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
It should also be noted that solar electricity is not widely used in Costa Rica now. There is a lot of corruption in government, so the electric company tried to tax people who generated solar electricity. Thankfully, that law did not make it and people can now use solar without paying fees. I expect to see a lot more people using solar in the future because the sun is so powerful near the equator.

Are you aware that CR is covered by clouds half the year?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Costa Rica Runs Fossil Free for 270 days of 2016 [timotheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timotheus wrote:
What's fake about it? Looks like they've been building towards this for years. Good for them!

I'm going to assume you've never been to Costa Rica.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I live in Costa Rica. It's still damn bright even with clouds. And generally the clouds in the rainy season appear in the afternoon. The mornings are usually clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does the cloud cover matter? They're generating almost all their power using hydro or geothermal, not solar.

And with a relatively small population (less than 5 million) and no real industry, the power consumption per person is very low. Probably 1/10 of your average North American.

To be honest, I'm surprised they aren't 100% hydro all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Yeah, and it's dark half the time, too.
Quote Reply