Quote | Reply
You win.
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me a while to realize what was with all the purple ... then I realized who the sponsor was

ETA: We always watch Kathy Griffin & Anderson Cooper

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Maybe I'm just getting old, but she ain't no Tina Turner.

Ike would hit that!

Oh man. You saw the perfect response that the rest of us (I guess) overlooked. Well done.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Jan 2, 17 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has she lost her singing voice? Does she only lip sync now?
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
BarryP wrote:
I'd still hit it.

+1

Also, it was a technical error which can't really be attributed to her. It looks like the music wasn't being fed back to her. The speakers are being pointed towards the crowd so the music is traveling away from her so no feedback there. Instead she's likely just hearing thousands of screening fans with maybe just a tiny bit of music. It doesn't look like she have an earpiece in and she mentions her monitor isn't working either. So basically she has no reliable reference of what song is playing and when to jump in and begin singing. But she's famous, so she'll get endless shit across the internet from people who have never been in that position and understand the logistics

I only saw a minute or so, but it appeared this was the issue and that the engineer should have shut it down and started over again.

But then...

How did the dancers perform perfectly if there was no sound on stage???
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because dancers rehearse....and rehearse....and rehearse....and...
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Has she lost her singing voice? "

Did she ever really have one? Hard to tell with all today's electronic enhancements. At one time singers actually had to be able to sing.
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naw, she's the real deal.

Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Naw, she's the real deal. "

Then why the lip synch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She actually had a phenomenal vocal range (something like 5 octaves) and was, at least among pop stars, a very talented singer.

That was in the 90's though. Whether she still has it or not, who knows. As for lip synching, all pop performances have synched tracks. I don't know why it's even still a thing to make fun of performers over anymore. Everyone does it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is also a diva who doesn't work well with others.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
She actually had a phenomenal vocal range (something like 5 octaves) and was, at least among pop stars, a very talented singer.

That was in the 90's though. Whether she still has it or not, who knows. As for lip synching, all pop performances have synched tracks. I don't know why it's even still a thing to make fun of performers over anymore. Everyone does it.

She had one of the best voices ever in pop music. Sad to see it gone. But most singers lose their voice over time. Bono, Elton, Robert Plant - none of them sound the same any longer. Remember when Whitney lost her voice? Very sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I don't get. she claims it's her earpiece and was supposed to be lip syncing but couldn't hear the music. So how come we can't hear the actual song being sung over the speakers? If it's just her earpiece wouldn't the music still be sung for her?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They frequently do that in those type of events. Can you imagine trying to set up each singers band and sound equipment on a back-back performance TV event?

Seriously though, she is a legit singer/songwriter that sold more songs in the 90's than anyone.

Quote | Reply
Jenny McCarthy, who co-hosted the show with Ryan Seacrest, offered this up:

http://www.foxnews.com/...nye-performance.html

Quote:
"The truth of the matter is, Mariah didn't do a sound check, she said it there. She did whatever you would call like a dance move rehearsal, holding her gold microphone, and she stood off to the side of the stage while she had a stand-in do a sound check. Now, when you're doing a show live in Times Square, this is a location that's tough. Out of all the places that you're going to need to do a sound check, you do it there."

McCarthy hypothesized as to what could have been the real reason for the performance debacle.

“Now I think, and if I try to give a guess of what happened, I think Mariah was nervous as hell. I think she chose really tough songs to try to sing along with. I think 'Emotions,' that song, I mean her voice is not there anymore. I don't believe there was a problem with her inner ears. I just don't. I think she used it as an excuse. The monitors on the stage are there, by the way, to blast out the songs to the musician in case this happens."

Once again, the former Playmate gave her eyewitness account.

"How do I know the monitors were blasting? Look at the dancers behind her! They were on cue for every beat, right? Every beat! So, I was like, 'You can hear it.' She's choosing not to see it. Now my other opinion, and this is just mine from being there, being on that stage, I don't think she expected to be as far away from this prompter and as small as it was, she could have possibly not been able to see the words to her own song."

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 4, 17 5:16
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Jenny McCarthy, who co-hosted the show with Ryan Seacrest, offered this up:

http://www.foxnews.com/...nye-performance.html

Quote:
"The truth of the matter is, Mariah didn't do a sound check, she said it there. She did whatever you would call like a dance move rehearsal, holding her gold microphone, and she stood off to the side of the stage while she had a stand-in do a sound check. Now, when you're doing a show live in Times Square, this is a location that's tough. Out of all the places that you're going to need to do a sound check, you do it there."

McCarthy hypothesized as to what could have been the real reason for the performance debacle.

“Now I think, and if I try to give a guess of what happened, I think Mariah was nervous as hell. I think she chose really tough songs to try to sing along with. I think 'Emotions,' that song, I mean her voice is not there anymore. I don't believe there was a problem with her inner ears. I just don't. I think she used it as an excuse. The monitors on the stage are there, by the way, to blast out the songs to the musician in case this happens."

Once again, the former Playmate gave her eyewitness account.

"How do I know the monitors were blasting? Look at the dancers behind her! They were on cue for every beat, right? Every beat! So, I was like, 'You can hear it.' She's choosing not to see it. Now my other opinion, and this is just mine from being there, being on that stage, I don't think she expected to be as far away from this prompter and as small as it was, she could have possibly not been able to see the words to her own song."

McCarthy went on to hypothesize that the polio vaccine Maria was given as a child may have played a role . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Seriously though, she is a legit singer/songwriter that sold more songs in the 90's than anyone.
No one can beat Father Time forever.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except Tony Bennett. ;-)

Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

She's no Axl Rose, though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...an-Mariah-Carey.html

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jan 4, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Unless Jenny wants to tell me what its like to pose nude for Playboy, I really don't care what her opinions are.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Yeah. Unless Jenny wants to tell me what its like to pose nude for Playboy, I really don't care what her opinions are.

Yeah, I don't think I care what this woman has to say about anything.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read a response online, but can't find it. Here camp's story was (paraphrasing):

She was there in time.
She did sound check, but it was to the side of the stage with in ear monitors.
They didn't work during sound check.
Lots of "they don't work" but being told they will be fine when they do it live.
Still didn't work, but told they will work on the stage.
When she got on stage, they didn't work, which means they are now ear plugs.
She pulled them out of her ears, but couldn't lock in to what was coming out of the stage monitors.

The production company says they were working.

Yes, Mariah is a diva, and yes, she sings a style of music that none of us like. But she's the real deal. She's not Ashley Simpson, and she's got a ton of experience and talent. I'm inclined to believe her side of the story.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Mariah Carey New Years Eve Performance [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Also, it was a technical error which can't really be attributed to her. It looks like the music wasn't being fed back to her. The speakers are being pointed towards the crowd so the music is traveling away from her so no feedback there. Instead she's likely just hearing thousands of screening fans with maybe just a tiny bit of music. It doesn't look like she have an earpiece in and she mentions her monitor isn't working either. So basically she has no reliable reference of what song is playing and when to jump in and begin singing. But she's famous, so she'll get endless shit across the internet from people who have never been in that position and understand the logistics

I hear you. If this wasn't televised to millions, it wouldn't be an issue. But, because she's in the limelight, social media will be inundated with uneducated comments.

Don't know what kind of preparation was done beforehand, but, having done live singing, it's important a singer have their voice come back to them. If a person can't hear their voice, they may not know if they're on key or if they're missing certain cues. Maybe some can sing without hearing themselves, but, having experienced it, it will mess you up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next