Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: UFC 207 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points.

BTW, one of Joe Rogan's guests has said this before (and again recently) and I tend to agree with it. She doesn't need work on her stand up game. She needs to give it up. Instead she needs to go to a serious wrestling camp.

IMO, she simply doesn't have the talent to ever be any good at kick boxing. She needs to figure out a way to get fighters like Holm and Nunez to the ground without getting rocked in the face. Sure, footwork and stand up defense would be good to work on, but instead of learning to punch and kick, she needs to learn how to shoot for a takedown.

My 2 cents.....might be worth less.

Quote:
In elite competition, ESPECIALLY in combat sports, competitors don't have a few years of their prime to take off. She'd need to stay active and train (if not on Stand up, then at least on learning to dodge punches), and when athletes do that (especially elites) they'd want to jump back in.

I think the only way she comes back is to get rid of her current camp, Work on standup with other elites, and take a bunch of tomato can fights to rebuild her confidence. The UFC may guide her this way so they can still cash in on her. But I don't think she does this. I think she retires, goes broke, or the ego can't take the shadows of no limelight, and she comes back to have missed her window and takes yet another beating.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 207 [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also a good point.

Quote Reply
Re: UFC 207 [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a side note, I heard two interesting points on Rogan's show:

1) Nunez is a really, really hard hitter. Getting punched in the face by her might have been something that Ronda just plain was not prepared for. I don't think Ronda's ever been scared before, and every now and then you can get into a situation where you get hit so hard that you get a little panicky. This could be getting sacked by a pro line backer for the first time, or getting overwhelmed by a punch to the face, or whatever.

2) Duffy's said something similar to this before, but Chuck Liddell had supposedly said that after you get rocked enough times, your chin starts to get soft (metaphorically speaking). The body has a way of saying, "No. You've been hit in the head too many times, we're not putting up with it anymore." Ronda may have lost her ability to take a punch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Good points.

BTW, one of Joe Rogan's guests has said this before (and again recently) and I tend to agree with it. She doesn't need work on her stand up game. She needs to give it up. Instead she needs to go to a serious wrestling camp.

IMO, she simply doesn't have the talent to ever be any good at kick boxing. She needs to figure out a way to get fighters like Holm and Nunez to the ground without getting rocked in the face. Sure, footwork and stand up defense would be good to work on, but instead of learning to punch and kick, she needs to learn how to shoot for a takedown.

My 2 cents.....might be worth less.

Quote:
In elite competition, ESPECIALLY in combat sports, competitors don't have a few years of their prime to take off. She'd need to stay active and train (if not on Stand up, then at least on learning to dodge punches), and when athletes do that (especially elites) they'd want to jump back in.

I think the only way she comes back is to get rid of her current camp, Work on standup with other elites, and take a bunch of tomato can fights to rebuild her confidence. The UFC may guide her this way so they can still cash in on her. But I don't think she does this. I think she retires, goes broke, or the ego can't take the shadows of no limelight, and she comes back to have missed her window and takes yet another beating.

I agree that she'll never be a great striker. She just needs to be good enough to close the distance and get a takedown. But giving it up won't help...she has to get better, because where she is now is NOT sufficient to close the distance.

I also agree that at some point someone's "chin" becomes glass. At the elite level though, any fighter can press the sleepy button at any time. Rhonda didn't go out, so I don't think the chin has lost it. I think she just didn't dodge ANY and that's all it takes. I believe she quit at the end of her previous loss. She just had 3 million reasons to take another beating.

I think she is really going to lose a lot of endorsements and opportunities. Sponsorship and celebrity status is a "what now" business. Nobody really wants to have their product associated "a while ago being good...but now sucks.". I think a lot of damage was done both to her brand and psyche.

Then again, couch quarterbacking is easy. Lol

Either way I'm still hoping for a wardrobe malfunction during one of these women fights.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 207 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I have a new thought on Rousey's chances of beating Nunez. NEVER - GONNA - HAPPEN!

I don't mean because Ronda's head isn't in the game. I mean because her skill set is no match for Nunez. I arrived at this conclusion last night when I watched the Nunez - Tate fight. Rousey is better than Tate in a Rousey-Tate matchup, but Tate is a way better stand up fighter than Rousey, and has been wrestling since she was a kid. There's only two things that can beat Nunez, and that's either out striking her, or taking her to the matt with wrestling takedowns. Tate didn't come close.

No way in hell that Rousey could improve either game enough to match up against Nunez.

On a side note, I heard an interesting comment from Chael Sonnen. Without coming right out and saying it, he pretty much implied that Rousey was a lot of hype train in a weak division. To quote him, "Judo experts very rarely do well in this sport." the point being, if she's able to get in and beat girls with her judo, the girls she was fighting weren't very good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On a side note, I heard an interesting comment from Chael Sonnen. Without coming right out and saying it, he pretty much implied that Rousey was a lot of hype train in a weak division. To quote him, "Judo experts very rarely do well in this sport." the point being, if she's able to get in and beat girls with her judo, the girls she was fighting weren't very good.

Seems like time has revealed the obvious and now everyone is saying the same thing.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
So, I have a new thought on Rousey's chances of beating Nunez. NEVER - GONNA - HAPPEN!

I don't mean because Ronda's head isn't in the game. I mean because her skill set is no match for Nunez. I arrived at this conclusion last night when I watched the Nunez - Tate fight. Rousey is better than Tate in a Rousey-Tate matchup, but Tate is a way better stand up fighter than Rousey, and has been wrestling since she was a kid. There's only two things that can beat Nunez, and that's either out striking her, or taking her to the matt with wrestling takedowns. Tate didn't come close.

No way in hell that Rousey could improve either game enough to match up against Nunez.

I think it is just the natural evolution of the sport. Early UFC was almost completely dominated by wrestlers. Then people adapted and went from single discipline athletes to multiple skills.

You don't have to be good at all discipline, but you have to be able to defend them. So a non-wrestler has to defend takedowns, Rousey needs to learn how to defend a punch other than catching it on the tip of her nose, etc.

But Rousey wasn't just hype. She took out everyone put before her in a matter of seconds. Then people found a way to not get their arm broken.

As Nunes, others have pointed out, reigns in the UFC seem to be remarkably short. I still remember Joe Rogan yelling, "Welcome to the Lyoto Machida era!"

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 207 [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No question Rousey is horrible at defending a striker. But, it goes deeper than that. She cannot take a hit. Look at the shots taken by Cruz and Cody. I don't care how good a defender you are, you are going to take a hit. She takes one and it appears to be all over. How do you train to take a hit? Some people will always have a glass jaw.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 207 [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
No question Rousey is horrible at defending a striker. But, it goes deeper than that. She cannot take a hit. Look at the shots taken by Cruz and Cody. I don't care how good a defender you are, you are going to take a hit. She takes one and it appears to be all over. How do you train to take a hit? Some people will always have a glass jaw.

So don't get hit. :) Frank Bruno held the heavyweight title. I may have been able to knock him out with a clean shot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Other than Joanna Jryfsvsawycxxccjj164, are there any women who can take a punch? And even Joanna is only getting hit by 64 lb girls...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
reigns in the UFC seem to be remarkably short.

Could some of that be because as someone fights more at the top level, challengers can better educate themselves on their technique and style thanks to more available fight footage?

Rousey arm barred enough people, people knew to learn to defend against it because they knew it was coming. Nunes quickly stopped what appeared to be 2 or 3 weak attempts to grapple. Nunes had done her homework.

GSP seemed to learn his opponents so well, his offense became a good defense (which made his last few fights pretty damn dull). That and babbling some shit about alien abduction made for a good distraction technique. Maybe Rousey could try that.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
But Rousey wasn't just hype. She took out everyone put before her in a matter of seconds. Then people found a way to not get their arm broken.

She wasn't all hype but she dominated at a time when womans MMA was weak and underdeveloped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting she was a Kimbo Slice. She was more like a Mike Tyson. She just bulled right over all of her opponents, but eventually, some top level people came along who figured out how to beat her. She was a two trick poney, but those tricks were very good and ended the fights quickly. Compare that to, say, GSP who had a complete game. Granted Meisha Tate had a complete games, as well, but her game wasn't good enough to fight off Rousey.

I think Sonen (hmmm.....maybe it was Rogan) also pointed out that if you are going to come in with one or two tricks, its better to be a striker who can either wrestle or do BJJ. That might be Nunez.

As for length of Reigns.....hmmm, some were long. Silva was 8 years. GSP went 7 years with only a lucky-punch-loss to Matt Sera (6 if you start after his rematch).

Quote Reply
Re: UFC 207 [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhm ... This was today ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-twitter_dailymailus

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jan 10, 17 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once again, Duffy nails it.

Never doubt me.

Ever....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 207 [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Once again, Duffy nails it.

I know you would.

Quote Reply

Prev Next