Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interpreting a drug interaction chart
Quote | Reply
I'm currently taking Xarelto blood thinner for a clot, and also Primidone for Essential Tremors. According to this chart, there is an interaction between the two, but I don't know how to interpret the info. Is it telling me the Xarelto interferes with the Primidone or the Primidone interferes with the Xarelto?

I have messages in to both my Primary Care Physician and the pharmicist (Express Scripts) but who knows how long it will take one of them to get back to me.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Interpreting a drug interaction chart [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your paper uses an electronic medical record alost any contraindicated medications would be flagged up and have to be overridden so in all likelyhood they were aware of any issue as and when they prescribed it

OF course that doesn't apply if 2 different physicians prescribed it on two different emr's

Can't speak to the drugs just the software
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edit to add. The pharmacist who dispensed then if they did it at the same time would almost certainly have been 100% aware if there were an issue and raised it.

Can't guarantee that but between software and the dispensing pharmacists there are checks in place........

Usually
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds fairly critical. I might visit the pharmacy and get face to face with the pharmacist who is a better resource than the MD (IMO).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CYP3A4 inducers can increase the metablism of rivaroxaban, decreasing AUC and Cmax

It's saying the Primidone (a CYP3A4 inducer) is going to result in significantly lower rivaroxaban levels in your blood, so the effect will be to effectively lower your rivaroxaban dosage.

The "AUC" and "Cmax" refers to rivaroxaban levels in your blood over time (pharmacokinetics). Cmax is the max concentration of drug in your blood after dosage. So if Cmax is lowered, it looks like you have taken a lower dose. AUC is "area under the curve", which is another pharmacokinetic parameter that describes how much drug circulates for how long in your blood.

Definitely talk to a doc about this asap. Don't want to mess around with anti-thrombotics.
Quote Reply
Re: Interpreting a drug interaction chart [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way I read the chart (bottom line), Primidone is classified as a "Strong inducers of CYP3A4" causing a "Significant reduction in rivaroxaban concentration". That sounds to me like it's reducing the effectiveness of the rivaroxaban (Xarelto). The "Suggested Management Guideline" is "AVOID USE".

I have to stay on the Xarelto, but it will suck to be off of Primidone for a year.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Interpreting a drug interaction chart [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
This sounds fairly critical. I might visit the pharmacy and get face to face with the pharmacist who is a better resource than the MD (IMO).

Pharmacist is mail order, unfortunately.

I've been on Primidone for years, without it my hands shake so badly I can't read my own handwriting. I was on Xarelto from Feb to August for a clot in my right leg, off it for 2 months then came down with a clot in my left leg so I'm back on it for a year. The whole time I was on it I had always commented to my wife that on the occasions I cut myself (shaving, or working, etc) I didn't really bleed like I expected to being on a blood thinner.l

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply