Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc?
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Checking out the Training peaks app premium (which I was a tad annoyed that it defaulted to the premium). What do you use the data for? How do you analyze it? Thanks!
KK
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's worth it. I'm sure there are far more advanced users here but I'll mention how I use it. Without premium you can not pre-populate your calendar. If you set up a training plan with TSS on each workout it will chart your fitnesss and fatigue levels. This is useful for planning a tapper and seeing where your fitness is / will be at certain points of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using premium for almost 10 years. The ability to plan your entire year out is where it's at for me. And I dig the PMC. And I've bought training plans when I've needed a boost and those have been good. Honestly, I've been using premium for so long I don't even know what features are non premium.

Keep your eye out for free months of premium. I've easily gotten a years worth of free months over time.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely worth it if you're planning your year on your own. Google Training Peaks Discount Code as I typically get 20% off of a yearly membership with a code that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never not had premium, but i love it.....am i also addicted to it, its the first thing i check ever morning when i get up. Love the ability to plan out yr go back and check previous yrs and eval what worked and what did not work. I credit TP for part of my positive training experience.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my first year using the premium app. I got it because you can plan your whole season by TSS. I have a pretty tight schedule, and the (new) ability to plan daily workouts by TSS/IF to give a time is very worth it. Before this, I had the tendency to say "yea, I can do 180 TSS before work, I'll just get up early." The app has made me realize that this is not realistic and has helped me better manage my time, which has (so far) led to increased fitness. We will see if it leads to increased speed during the race season, however!

The analysis features beyond planning capability are not what you will want if you like to get into the data. I have been using Golden Cheetah since 2013 to play with the data more the the Trainingpeaks app will allow. GC is free, and I would highly recommend it IF you want more robust analysis features AND you don't mind being bamboozled by the program for a short while until you get the hang of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
Im interested in this training peaks program.
But where do I go to learn about healthy weekly TSS limit etc etc. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [Light_Kira] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainingPeaks has a lot of great articles out there for self-help and learning. I've never had the benefit or luxury of a coach so I've just figured it out myself. It took a while for me to dial in my thresholds for each sport and to know when to update them, but I've been progressing and improving pretty steadily. I'm also like the poster above who has a pretty tight schedule. I plan out tax season (I'm a CPA) to keep my TSS balanced with the insane 15 hour, 7-day work weeks so that I end tax season healthier than when I entered it. The Performance Management Chart (PMC) helps me keep on track, gives me good feedback, and warns me when I'm probably going to crash and burn. I always try to have my CTL land at a bigger score on 4/15 than on 1/1. I put down a Sprint or OLY mid-March and again right after April 15th and my progress (or lack of progress) from my PMC is a pretty good predictor if I'll have a good or bad race.

Somewhere out here in ST-land there is a TP super dude (who might have been the programmer/engineer behind PMC and TSS?) who has set me straight a few times. He keeps telling me to NOT combine rTSS with sTSS and TSS. Or was it IF? Anyway, I do it regardless, even if the math behind it is wonky when you combine them. So, I keep a PMC for each sport and a PMC for all sports.

I'm a fan. It has done me well. You should find a TP user who could use a free month for referring a friend (I'm good, don't need it).

http://help.trainingpeaks.com/...ess-Scores-Explained

http://help.trainingpeaks.com/...y-TSS-and-Target-CTL

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use it for the other things you get with premium (scheduling workouts, moving, etc.) more full-featured (at least when I sub'd) than free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it, and find it motivating to see that fitness line creep upward. The fatigue indicator helps keep me in check, as I've periodically suffered consequences of inadequate recovery. I don't have a power meter, so the data comes from GPS and my HR monitor. Sometimes I need to manually adjust the TSS, like last week when I ran with snowshoes for 35 minutes in deep snow and it gave me a grand total of 9.5 rTSS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer that my athletes are premium subscribers. It allows me to get updates emailed to me and immediate smart phone notifications regarding their changes to the plans, completion of sessions, etc. It also allows the athlete to add stuff to the calendar for me (like travel days and such). Some of that move/copy/schedule stuff is not available to regular accounts. I know that the immediate interaction with the coach is not in regular accounts.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that it is absolutely worth it but only if you know how to interpret the various metrics and charts. Working with a coach will give you an understanding of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Somewhere out here in ST-land there is a TP super dude (who might have been the programmer/engineer behind PMC and TSS?) who has set me straight a few times.

Just an FYI: I don't work for TP, and never have. I am also neither a programmer nor an engineer.

I am, however, the person who came up with TSS and the PMC (as well as a few other ideas - see my .sig).
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For runs like this or mountain hikes I go with Heart Rate TSS. It's not perfect but certainly better than basing alternative workouts of your run threshold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Dec 28, 16 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're exactly right... I just have to remember how to switch the data that is being interpreted for the TSS score. I think I've got to do it from the desktop application.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
I prefer that my athletes are premium subscribers. It allows me to get updates emailed to me and immediate smart phone notifications regarding their changes to the plans, completion of sessions, etc. It also allows the athlete to add stuff to the calendar for me (like travel days and such). Some of that move/copy/schedule stuff is not available to regular accounts. I know that the immediate interaction with the coach is not in regular accounts.

This is where it's become useful with my coach. along with adding in all my workouts, she'll add additional instructions in the workout instructions and I add comments after the workout about how it went or anything else related to the workout. I can always call or email her but tracking it this way helps her keep on top up what's working for me, if I'm getting tired, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks premium app? Worth it? What do you use it for with data, etc? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit late to the party here, but just wanted to point out that one of the USAT discount perks is 20% off a TP subscription. So if you're current, you could use that.
Quote Reply