Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It didn't do rod Stewart any harm either

It's funny, I just flew to geneva last wed and am so bored with the entertainment in flight i was going through the music and they had a unplugged compilation

It was great; Neil Young, csn, eagles and others

They were great

Clapton and 10,000 maniacs I always liked along with Neil young
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Dec 28, 16 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
I get that if you're not into someone, it's hard to compare them to someone you prefer.

Clapton's unplugged revitalized his career and introduced him to a new generation. Many people mistakenly believe that the unplugged version of "Tears in Heaven" is the original. And the reworking of Layla was brilliant.

Layla was great, but got overplayed.

I'll watch the Clapton set tonight and get back to you. Maybe I'll have a better appreciation now that I'm old.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
KISS was clearly the worst of all the ones I've seen

Because music wise, KISS sucks. They are like a real life rock opera live. But their songs suck, their singing sucks, and if there isn't fire, or blood coming out of their mouths, there isn't much to see.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Awesome videos.

Every time I watch videos of srv im blown away, then remember that he played with 13 gauge strings and a relatively high action, and my mind explodes just a little bit more.

Was just listening to SRV's Little Wing (studio release) and was struck with the thought that maybe SRV was mocking Hendrix rather than (or in addition to) paying tribute.

There are certain sections where he plays everything Jimi played, plus 15 other things at the same time, all the while keeping the "original" song together.

Maybe his intent was not to make a mockery of Jimi, but he did.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Awesome videos.

Every time I watch videos of srv im blown away, then remember that he played with 13 gauge strings and a relatively high action, and my mind explodes just a little bit more.

Was just listening to SRV's Little Wing (studio release) and was struck with the thought that maybe SRV was mocking Hendrix rather than (or in addition to) paying tribute.

There are certain sections where he plays everything Jimi played, plus 15 other things at the same time, all the while keeping the "original" song together.

Maybe his intent was not to make a mockery of Jimi, but he did.

That song is my desperado. Whenever it comes on, I shush whoever is talking and demand 7 minutes of silence and just marvel at its perfection. The more I listen to it, and I mean really listen to it in a pondering or analyzing sense, the more it just completely blows my mind.

I don't know what his intent was, but he certainly kicks that song up a few notches IMHO. I wonder what his band must have thought when they recorded that. "Umm.. yeah, I think that take will do".

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a video on YouTube of a SRV sound check on stage somewhere. At one point in it you can see his bass player look at Stevie playing and just shake his head in disbelief/admiration.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
There's a video on YouTube of a SRV sound check on stage somewhere. At one point in it you can see his bass player look at Stevie playing and just shake his head in disbelief/admiration.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmQwLSlDw

I love that one. He looks like he just woke up. Comes on stage, rubs his eyes, picks his nose, and then just tears it up!
Quote Reply
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup.

Somewhere in that vid you'll see his band mate just get blown away.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:
Midnight Oil - most of you are too young to have noticed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d8N2jt3Cds

Good call.

Another good overall performance.

There are many where one or two songs were good but very few where the entire performance as a whole was great. Midnight Oil is on that list. Nirvana was also overall pretty good.

Another single song that sticks out...

Natalie Merchant - Trouble Me

Fun fact...first concert I ever went to at the Santa Barbara Bowl was INXS. Opening act: Midnight Oil.

So good...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The best MTV Unplugged performance was... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw INXS opening for Adam Ant at the Arlington.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mariah Carey.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I saw INXS opening for Adam Ant at the Arlington.

Nice

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next