Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redcorvette wrote:
Anton84 wrote:
Here is what worked for me:

Do 3X per week in addition to your normal swimming (I usually do on days that I don't swim):

7x 1 min on/ 1min rest
(Or 4*2 min, 5*1.5 min - whatever)

Start out really slow (like 10 strokes a minute for the first 3 weeks) then slowly progress to your normal swim cadence.

When Sheila T was coaching my Masters team last year, she would set up a halo bench with tubing on deck. We would take turns during swim sets to hop up on the bench and go through a few sets of pulls, while she critiqued our catch & pull arm path. Still do it 2-3 times a week as part of my dryland workout. I had problems with flexibility in my shoulders and it has really helped me to learn to extend my scapulae forward and set my catch further out front.
Mark

Did you buy your own halo? Worth it?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I have found that these special paddles were great as an EVF teaching aid when I have coached adult onset swimmers. But be aware that these are not training paddles, they are technique paddles. They might be worth a try for you:

http://www.techpaddle.com/

(no connection of any kind between us and this company, just have had good luck with these paddles)
Going to order a set of these myself... the recommended paddle from Tower 26 aka Gerry Rodrigues as well.

That said, the tech paddles looks like a fancy way of doing the "fist drill". I suppose the paddle portion on the forearm "does something" to promote/aid in EVF. I'll be ordering so I'll find out.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you'll see that they do more than just a the fists drill, they were worth it for me, for myself and even more so as a teaching tool to use with others.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Going to order a set of these myself... the recommended paddle from Tower 26 aka Gerry Rodrigues as well.

That said, the tech paddles looks like a fancy way of doing the "fist drill". I suppose the paddle portion on the forearm "does something" to promote/aid in EVF. I'll be ordering so I'll find out.

Yep, I think I'll get a pair as well. Seems like a reasonable price for a potentially useful training aid.

There are also these: http://www.finisinc.com/Forearm-Fulcrum

I had a pair back in the day (may try to see if I can fish them out), but I never really knew how to use them or what they were supposedly doing.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Feb 13, 17 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Redcorvette wrote:
Anton84 wrote:
Here is what worked for me:

Do 3X per week in addition to your normal swimming (I usually do on days that I don't swim):

7x 1 min on/ 1min rest
(Or 4*2 min, 5*1.5 min - whatever)

Start out really slow (like 10 strokes a minute for the first 3 weeks) then slowly progress to your normal swim cadence.

When Sheila T was coaching my Masters team last year, she would set up a halo bench with tubing on deck. We would take turns during swim sets to hop up on the bench and go through a few sets of pulls, while she critiqued our catch & pull arm path. Still do it 2-3 times a week as part of my dryland workout. I had problems with flexibility in my shoulders and it has really helped me to learn to extend my scapulae forward and set my catch further out front.
Mark

Did you buy your own halo? Worth it?

Don't think it's necessary to buy a halo bench. I use stretch cords like Sheila does in the video, bent over at the waist. I think it's easier to work on a double arm pull first and then progress to single arm pulls with the cords.

Sheila also got me hooked on doing a one-arm drills (her favorite was one-arm drill while resting the opposite arm on a kickboard as it also forces you to engage your core), catch-up drills, and sculling drills. I do some combination of these everyday during my warm-up. In particular, I like to warm-up with 50's swum as 25 scull/25 pull to develop your feel for the water.

I think one aspect that is often overlooked is accelerating the pull after you make the catch. A lot of folks pull too hard too fast and just create more drag by directing the force on the water in the wrong direction.

I've also had the chance to work with Dr. Genadijus Sokolovas (aka Dr. G). He and Sheila differed on some points, specifically the angle of elbow on the insweep. Sheila was an advocate of establishing a 90 deg angle with the elbow and following a curvilinear path, while Dr. G presented evidence that a 120 deg elbow angle was actually a more powerful position with more of a straight back S-pattern pull path, ala Doc Counsilman. Personally, I think it's a very individual thing, affected by physique, and range of motion.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's three things that helped me...

1.) EVF takes a lot of shoulder flexibility. You might want to implement a modern stretching routine to help with that.
2.) EVF is a WEAK position. Nobody does pull-ups using EVF. You will feel weak. You will feel slow -- especially at the initiation of the stroke. Accept that fact and do EVF anyway. You will get better, and your swim times will thank you.
3.) You can't do EVF without establishing the hand straight out in front of you first. Most triathletes begin their stroke right as the hand is entering. The subsequent bubbles everywhere, lack of glide, and elbow drop eliminate about 25% of their stroke length. Let your hand sit out there a split second and then begin EVF. If, at 5'9", this guy can do it while moving at world class 200 freestyle pace then you can do it while training or swimming in a local tri. Check at 29 sec and 50 sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9usmHbuYWc
Quote Reply
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Here's three things that helped me...

1.) EVF takes a lot of shoulder flexibility. You might want to implement a modern stretching routine to help with that.
2.) EVF is a WEAK position. Nobody does pull-ups using EVF. You will feel weak. You will feel slow -- especially at the initiation of the stroke. Accept that fact and do EVF anyway. You will get better, and your swim times will thank you.
3.) You can't do EVF without establishing the hand straight out in front of you first. Most triathletes begin their stroke right as the hand is entering. The subsequent bubbles everywhere, lack of glide, and elbow drop eliminate about 25% of their stroke length. Let your hand sit out there a split second and then begin EVF. If, at 5'9", this guy can do it while moving at world class 200 freestyle pace then you can do it while training or swimming in a local tri. Check at 29 sec and 50 sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9usmHbuYWc

This ^^^^

I only recently realized HOW HARD it is to pull correctly with EVF, and that it will take a long time to develop the strength needed to keep good form.

I use this paddle that reduces the water resistance of the hand (but allows you to keep your hand in the same position), and helps in the initial stages while building up the strength, so that I can maintain good form despite being weak: http://tribomb.com/...?ID=233#.WKNxbbGZNjs

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't Do EVF!! HELP!!! [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

On the way home from the pool tonight, a friend told me to ensure my hand always enters the water thumb first. He said that forces me to rotate the shoulder thus setting my arm up for the EVF.

Thanks!

no, no, no..

not areodynamic and will lead to shoulder impingement, hand enters flat, middle finger pointing to end of pool, i try and enter pinky first and this normally ensures it enters flat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next