Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Questions to manufacturers - UK 3cm rule [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dontswimdontrun wrote:
Cool, more data :)
Some observations:
  • Size Large should be on the line with elbow at 640/425, your CTT line goes through 640/485, so elbow to pad centre is 6cm? That's certainly less overhang than I choose, and I think Steve too.

The SC pads are roughly 80mm front to back and our Fit Services classes use the elbow just off the back of the pad as a starting point (based on user surveys as well as observations of what users bring in as their existing setups). Also keep in mind this convention is geared towards (and based on data from) the much larger tri contingent vs the smallish TT crowd (and considerably smaller still CTT-governed TT cohort).

dontswimdontrun wrote:
  • Admit I'm a bit confused by the mid pad / pad range / full range terms, note that the XL cut-off (short) ties in with the shortest full range number.

Explained here.

dontswimdontrun wrote:
For completeness the full quadrilateral of pad adjustment for each size with "CTT line" across the middle would show how the riders fit in (or don't).

or just back out from our fit charts and what's pictured that the actual leading edge of the pad reach range is ~90mm to the right of the CTT line (pictured leading edge).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Questions to manufacturers - UK 3cm rule [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks again for that, Carl. What I find interesting there is that there is arguably a general trend that people on smaller bikes are mainly trying to get lower rather than a shorter reach. The people violating the 3cm rule by the biggest margin are on the smaller frames. If the rule were changed to 5cm, most people on an XL would become compliant, but hardly anyone on an S would become compliant. The proportion of non-compliant people who would become compliant increases steadily as frame size increases. This arguably provides some support for the Shiv TT's geometry where bigger frames add reach but not stack (after the very smallest size).

So I feel there is maybe something in the data there to support the idea that small TT bikes have too little reach for a lot of people, relative to large TT bikes, even if we aren't considering the UK's 3cm rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions to manufacturers - UK 3cm rule [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting down into the <600mm stack region there is a huge range of reach, difficult to fit them all in though it would appear that current geo does accommodate all the short reach riders. Stretch for this sample population may also be constrained by UCI and other regs. 20mm reach for 30mm stack appears a common size slope for most manufacturers.
Are non-UCI frames any different? BMC only derivatise at the rear.
Last edited by: dontswimdontrun: Dec 30, 16 1:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey Steve and all-

huzzah!!

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ial-positions-325250

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, yes, it seems we are effectively back to where we were in previous years, which is a subjective "keep it sensible" approach. I know that the data you provided in this thread has been used in arguments presented to CTT that the rule is inappropriate because it makes illegal perfectly normal riding positions that are well within manufacturers' intended fit ranges. So thanks again for providing such a helpful response to my thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happy to hear I might've helped in some small way.

ride fast and comfortable my friends.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks once again Carl. How on earth do you find the time to take an interest in our little cycling backwater?!

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next