Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fiji - Been there?
Quote | Reply
Going end of September. We are already spending 10 days on a liveaboard dive boat, and either 4 or 5 nights in Beqa for diving. We have potentially two nights on the front end to try something else.

Figuring we are gonna have a lot of beach and water time, open to something alternative to sitting on a small island beach for two days, not that I am opposed to that, or seeing some Fijian culture or getting into the middle of the main island Viti Levu. Been googling it but not having any prior knowledge really don't know what I am looking at. Don't really want to fly to another island just for two nights, but a short hop possibly or a short ish boat ride

Budget is above a hostel but below 5 star, we don't like or want resorts with kids and pools and buffets and......

Any recommendations welcome, especially of unique or off the beaten path types of places to stay
Quote Reply
Re: Fiji - Been there? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've been there. Was diverted on an LA-Sydney flight to add more fuel, because of storms in Sydney.

On hearing the announcement, I thought, oh cool, Fiji ... sunshine ... beaches ... grass skirts ... I'll get to walk a bit and stretch my legs ...

We sat on the runway in a 747 for 2 1/2 hours in the dark, pouring rain. Not only didn't they let us off the plane, but the ag people came through and sprayed the whole interior with nasty-smelling insecticide.

Hope your experience is better than mine! ;^>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there 16(!) years ago, but I stayed in a backpacker hostel and did nothing but dive and try to surf. Got mildly fucked up on kava with my dive master and some of the dive shop hands one evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That board in the lip is 10 feet long...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Fiji - Been there? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha,. other than the diving and kava drinking, I ain't doing any of the stuff posted in this thread so far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there, Feb 2012. Scuba trip centered on Beqa island.

Though our trip was mainly diving, we did some hikes on that island too, plus village visits, and a bit of shopping on the bigger island on our last day. It's an interesting place. Mainly Indian with ethnic Fijians as a minority. Very beautiful diving, unlike anything in the Carribean where I've been before.

It was the most powerful sun I have every experienced. Not the hottest air temp, but most powerful rays. Seriously, stay in the shade. One of our party was sunburned through his shirt. 15 minutes outside on a foggy day had guys peeling.

The people were very nice and friendly. I tried Kava. Neat stuff, made my face and mouth go numb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did four days in Fiji on our way back from New Zealand. Only two things I recall. First, if you are island hopping by plane, your life is not your own. Those planes come and go when they please and they don't give a shit where you have to be when. I did meet Alanis Morissette as a result, but that was hardly a consultation. Second, if you run around those islands beware of cows on the trails. They are all ornery Other than that, I think I had a good time.
Quote Reply