Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Soup Recipes [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Is there a recipe for this Miso Ramen soup you guys are chatting about, or are you trying to turn this into a circle jerk about something really good you have at restaurants?

It's not f'ing rocket science.

1. Make miso soup. There are 1000s of ways to make it... from simple miso paste and hot water too making involved soup bases.
2. Boil ramen noodles until they're aldente. (without the flavour packet if you're using the common American variety)
3. Add ramen noodles to miso soup.
4. Top with whatever else you like. I like sliced pork, soft boiled egg, diced green onion. Corn and sliced surimi are popular too.

Eat the noodles with chopsticks and drink the broth directly from the bowl. Make lots of slurping noises.
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Butternut squash soup

Potato
Onion
Carrot
Celery
Squash
Chicken broth.

Cook all the veggies, add broth, boil until everything is soft, blend. Season as you wish, but it barely needs anything. Fantastic, easy soup.

Another option is to only blend the squash with the broth. My family prefers 'chunks' in the soup so we do this option.

Oh yeah, and if you plant 3 butternut squash plants and have a nice rainy summer, you will have over 4 dozen butternut squash!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Mexican meatball soup. Don't have the recipe at work but it's good and fairly easy.

I can find it if you are interested.

Sounds interesting
Finally remembered. We also add corn just because.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
I've never been to Tofino.

I've also never purchased ramen in Canada. Made it at home a couple times, but I usually go to Japan often enough that I can get my fix there.

I know you hate hipsters, but, Tofino is worth a visit. First two times I went was in summer, and I hated it. Crowded, way over touristed, same west coast beaches you can find up and down the island, didn't seem like anything special.

Then we started going in the fall. Totally different feel, the tourists are all gone (along with the lineups everywhere), beaches are deserted, and it's now one of my favourite getaways. The people that stay through the winter are a touch pretentious, but, you can rent a tiny cabin out of the town, and you wont even need to mingle with them uppity hipster city folk.

And go to Kuma and get the soup. That alone is worth it.
I would imagine there is a large enough Japanese community here that you can get good ramen somewhere, no?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulligatawny. There is a 5 star recipe on all recipes- I used light Thai coconut milk instead of cream and added some lime and cilantro...and doubled the curry. It was very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you or anyone you know got a whole ham for the holidays, throw what's left in a baggie, toss it in the freezer, google "hambone soup" and get after when you get a chance. A friend of mine had a whole ham for his pre-xmas party, and saved the bone and the scraps on it for me because he knows I'm into making stock and whatnot. Among other things, I did the hambone soup for our (much smaller) gathering for NYE, and it was killer. I mostly followed the chowhounds.com recipe, but cooked the bone a lot longer (approx 4 hours) than with carrot, celery and onion to make a straight up stock, then followed their recipe, then added a bit of kale in the last few minutes. Oh yeah, added some canned roasted green chiles. I do that with most of my soups.

Had some of the leftovers about 2 hours ago, and better than the first round (as usual for soups).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a ramen shop up by UVic in the Cedar Hill/Shelbourne area I believe that got decent reviews from some visiting Japanese co-workers.

The ramen experience is much different in Japan... it's essentially $4 street food that scales all the way to Michelin starred restaurants in big US cities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever do lentil? It's pretty easy and also good for you, at least it forces me to eat vegetables.
I tried a roasted cauliflower soup a couple weeks ago and was good to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Butternut squash soup

Potato
Onion
Carrot
Celery
Squash
Chicken broth.

Cook all the veggies, add broth, boil until everything is soft, blend. Season as you wish, but it barely needs anything. Fantastic, easy soup.

Sounds good, but don't all the other veggies overpower the squash? For my butternut soup, I roast a couple of butternuts and a few cloves of garlic. Then puree with chicken broth and a little sour cream and then salt, pepper, nutmeg and hot sauce to taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Butternut squash soup

Potato
Onion
Carrot
Celery
Squash
Chicken broth.

Sounds good, but don't all the other veggies overpower the squash? For my butternut soup, I roast a couple of butternuts and a few cloves of garlic. Then puree with chicken broth and a little sour cream and then salt, pepper, nutmeg and hot sauce to taste.

I don't find they do. But I've never really made a stock or soup without the golden trifecta carrot/celery/onion either. The squash flavour is quite strong. There is no mistaking what kind of soup it is!

Yours does sound like it would be more rich and creamy. I'll have to give that a go. I like the addition of hot sauce, too.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black-eyed Pea Soup
You'll need:
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, diced
4 cups water
15 ounce black-eyed peas, drained
28 ounce diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounce chopped green chilies
4 teaspoon molasses
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions:
Cook and stir the pork sausage and ground beef with onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink (about 12 minutes); drain off excess fat. Pour in the water and stir in black-eyed peas, tomatoes, worcesterhire sauce, garlic salt, green chilies, molasses, black pepper and curmin until thoroughly mixed.
Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Then enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my faves is the Tomato, Eggplant and Sausage soup from The Frog Commissary Cookbook: I like to use hot Italian sausage and usually pair it with fresh cornbread.

http://thewalshcookbook.blogspot.com/...lant-soup-cathy.html

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
If you or anyone you know got a whole ham for the holidays, throw what's left in a baggie, toss it in the freezer, google "hambone soup" and get after when you get a chance. A friend of mine had a whole ham for his pre-xmas party, and saved the bone and the scraps on it for me because he knows I'm into making stock and whatnot. Among other things, I did the hambone soup for our (much smaller) gathering for NYE, and it was killer. I mostly followed the chowhounds.com recipe, but cooked the bone a lot longer (approx 4 hours) than with carrot, celery and onion to make a straight up stock, then followed their recipe, then added a bit of kale in the last few minutes. Oh yeah, added some canned roasted green chiles. I do that with most of my soups.

Had some of the leftovers about 2 hours ago, and better than the first round (as usual for soups).

Leftover Xmas ham & navy bean soup/stew has become a staple New Years tradition for us now. Nothing better when it's fucking cold & snowy out. Every year it's a little different depending on what other veggies we have on hand, but it's always good; pretty hard to fuck it up actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [hanna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the sound of that

Quote | Reply
Cioppino

Chicken soup - my dinner tonight

Hu Tien Do Bien

French Onion

Seafood Gumbo

Lobster Tomato Bisque

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Cioppino

Hu Tien Do Bien

French Onion

Seafood Gumbo

Lobster Tomato Bisque

Any recipes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Cioppino

Hu Tien Do Bien

French Onion

Seafood Gumbo

Lobster Tomato Bisque

Any recipes?

Glad to oblige. These are the basic recipes I've worked from:

This is very similar to my favorite Vietnamese restaurant's dish - Hu Tien Do Bien - http://www.angsarap.net/...p-hu-tieu-do-bien-2/

I originally used my grandmother's recipe but this is similar - Chicken Soup - http://allrecipes.com/...memade-chicken-soup/

Cioppino - Like you are sitting on the pier in SF - http://www.foodnetwork.com/...cioppino-recipe.html

Got an Emeril cookbook 20+ years ago, it's pages are very worn - Seafood Gumbo - http://emerils.com/...lassic-seafood-gumbo

It probably goes without saying that every cook likes to change up their recipes. I love garlic, so I add more of it. Same with seafood, give me large quantities. And I tend to like my soup on the spicy side, so add a little extra pepper too.

Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cioppino is the bomb and is really easy. Great way to impress some guests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Split pea needs a smoked ham bone.
Everyone has missed chowder. I have a great salmon one, as well as a mixed seafood one. Meal in a bowl.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made this the other day and it was fantastic: https://www.budgetbytes.com/...4/smoky-tomato-soup/

There are quite a few decent soup recipes on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Cioppino is the bomb and is really easy. Great way to impress some guests.

+1. It's pouring today and I'd kill for some right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are big homemade soup eaters in the winter. Made this vegan Moroccan Bean Soup recipe from the Toronto Star on the weekend. Had two meals and then froze the rest for future use. Added both the tomato paste and the diced tomatoes.

http://startouch.thestar.com/...efa7cde82e%7C_0.html
Quote Reply
Re: Soup Recipes [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooh, good point... I do love me some chowda.

Care to share the salmon one? Pink run this year... freezer is going to be full of salmon (and hopefully a 6' bear) by September.
Quote Reply

Prev Next