Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) One year late 17y 20.4 km/h [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading this and following it last year...what I did miss was the kid throwing the bird in the instigram pic! Classy!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) One year late 17y 20.4 km/h [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Jakob Ingebrigtsen now 17 has had another threshold pace test.
He tested on a speed equal to a half marathon in 62 minutes (20.4).
It was fast enough to bring him to the pivot point according to his coach Gjert.

Of course you will have a fun discussion on letsrun.com http://www.letsrun.com/...d.php?thread=8629152

It will be fun to watch Jakob in 2018.
As a 16 year old he ran 3.56 on the mile, 8.26 on 3,000 sc and 13.35 on 5,000.
It will be interesting to watch his progress.

Yeah, it will be interesting to watch him. He is basically an example of what you can do as a westerner with crazy talent, high level training from a young age and a good training group. He learned about the lifestyle of professional runners very early from his brothers.

Here is a documentary about the Ingebrigtsens with english subtitles.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhsk3lnlkSg

The coach/dad of the Ingebrigtsen brothers willingly share his knowledge with other coaches and runners on a Norwegian facebook group for middle and long distance running. Jakob runs on average 100 miles a week. A lot of 5x6 minutes intervals. It is all about building the engine.

Must suck to be a 3.56 miler and the slowest active runner in the family.

That would be very interesting to follow. I love listening and reading from coaches. Guess I need to learn Norwegian.

No, seriously, he comes across as a very ambitious and tough coach. But I like it. (I grew up as an alpine skier and we had a lot of guys like that as trainers and it worked well and I learned a lot about working hard).

I think the Ingebrigtsens do a lot if treshold stuff. And that shows me once more that a lot of things work and it is not all about polarized training and hard/easy.

Norway is one of the endurance sports mekka in europe. I wonder if it is the high status of XC skiing that serves as a foundation for othet sports. Like with the older two Ingrbrigtsens or also Sondre Moen.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I remember reading in a book about Steve Ovett that there was a county/state champion who was head and shoulders above everyone else at 1500m who ended up being 5th fastest on the road where he lived after Ovett and few training partners moved to Brighton.

That sucks.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
In fairness, Centrowitz was no slouch in high school; he did go 4:04, which didn't exactly threaten Webb's 3:53, but is a damn fast high school time. And it doesn't hurt to be the son of Matt Centrowitz Sr either.

Centrowitz Jr just has one gorgeous stride. That 53 second front running last lap was a thing of beauty to watch.

Last note: with all the late drug testing being done on 2008 and 2012 thanks to good old Russia, what are the odds of Centrowitz 4th place in 2012 coming up a notch?

Thanks for that. Just youtube'd a few of his pre-trial 1500 races. Amazing how he is blowing away the field on the last lap, relaxed looking stride, while his competitors are all arms and legs flailing.

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) One year late 17y 20.4 km/h [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
Halvard wrote:

I remember reading in a book about Steve Ovett that there was a county/state champion who was head and shoulders above everyone else at 1500m who ended up being 5th fastest on the road where he lived after Ovett and few training partners moved to Brighton.

That sucks.

That would be Matt Patterson, Ovett's training buddy. Brendan Foster lived in the same street.
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read an aricle about Blummenfelts training and he sais that it is built around high volume and with lot's of threshold work. It reminds me of the thread here and the threshold emphasis of the Team Ingebrigtsen.

Is this generally the Norwegian training philosophy? I always thought that a lot of your endurance athletes stem from XC skiing and they seem to be doing a lot of polarized training.

I find it interesting because I seem to get a lot of bang out of threshold sessions, but i guess everyone is different. Sure Blummenflet does not train like a typical ITU guy with lot's of climbing on the runs and crazy long rides. But I like it.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
I read an aricle about Blummenfelts training and he sais that it is built around high volume and with lot's of threshold work. It reminds me of the thread here and the threshold emphasis of the Team Ingebrigtsen.

Is this generally the Norwegian training philosophy? I always thought that a lot of your endurance athletes stem from XC skiing and they seem to be doing a lot of polarized training.

I find it interesting because I seem to get a lot of bang out of threshold sessions, but i guess everyone is different. Sure Blummenflet does not train like a typical ITU guy with lot's of climbing on the runs and crazy long rides. But I like it.

Jakob (17y) ran his first indoor 1500m today. 3.42 is not bad ;-)

The Ingebrigtsens are all coached by their dad, Gjert. Gjert has no background in running or coaching other than his kids.
He has said that Jakob is better since he did mistakes with his two older brothers.
When it comes to training, they all train a lot. Jakob is training twice a day, every day. He has more in common with swimmers his age, than typical runners.
Since they are training a lot, they have to be really careful with intensity. I know they are using lactate testing during workouts.
It is different to do xc-skiing training and running. You do not have the pounding in xc-skiing so you can go harder during intervals but still bounds back.
You will see a lot of similarities the the overall approach from xc-skiing, Blummenfelt and the Ingebrigtsen. Lots of easy effort training with intervals at the right level.
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Table tennis: Walner
Tennis: Williams sisters, Boris Becker, Chang
F1: Verstappen
Chess: Magnus Carlsen

Yes and you can add most swedish no1 in tennis like Wilander, Björn Borg , Stefan Edberg. And table tennis ; most great Swedes and chinese

Swimming is extreme with most of the top ones beeing great early. More an exception to be a late bloomer

Seen any numbers for sprinters?
Or african long distance runners?
Quote Reply
Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y: threshold pace of 19,3 km/h (12 miles/hour) One year late 17y 20.4 km/h. Two years later 18y, between 21-22 km/h [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update fall 2018:

The threshold is not between 21-22 km/h.
We are talking about a half marathon speed under 1h as 18.

Not bad.

https://www.tv2.no/...CBCEC5NuPPlSu1DWGwPI
Quote Reply

Prev Next