Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Black Friday/ Door Bust BS
Quote | Reply
Not much of a shopper, but saw the Classic Nintendo would be out in limited edition at Bust Buy this morning for my son. The stupid games that sell for $60 but are on Ebay for over $200. Spoke to the Mrs. about getting in line crazy early or sticking to the routine. Chose the later as it was no big deal either way. Dropped my daughter at daycare and got in line just after 7am. I was third in line on a -10 degree morning. After 5 minutes, an employee came out and said all the tickets were claimed before 6am. I figured no big deal but was surprised people were able to show up claim a ticket, hope in their cars and leave. The person in front of me flipped out. Is this normal or should people have had to wait in line to claim the items when the store opened?
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife and I did that years ago for a friend who wanted something popular that year. Got in line early and eventually store employees came out with tickets. I think they do it to prevent mad rush when doors open. Don't know if it's normal SOP but they did it at Target when we went.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really makes me regret telling my wife not to buy one for me for Xmas. I'd have flipped that thing on Craigslist within an hour of tearing off the wrapping paper, waited until they were back in stock everywhere in abundance, and pocketed $150. The mad rush for these kinds of things make no sense to me. Beyond the "who's in line first" conversation, the larger issue to me is parents who don't know how to tell their kids "no" and feed the instant-gratification culture by paying 4x the cost for something like this and Hatchimals that will be in stock everywhere within 6 weeks post-Xmas.
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
something like this and Hatchimals that will be in stock everywhere within 6 weeks post-Xmas.

what's a hatchimal?
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue exactly what a Hatchimal is aside from knowing it's an extremely popular toy that's out of stock everywhere and there's some gigantic egg in the package, and I believe the toy is actually inside the egg. I think they're supposed to be mimetic, but I'm not entirely sure what function the toys do that makes them so popular. They retail for $50-60 and are selling for up to $200ish online. Fortunately, my kids don't even know what a Hatchimal is so I'm safe. My son is all about Legos & Minecraft and my daughter is all about Disney character dolls & costumes, all pretty easy to find on sale!
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I have no clue exactly what a Hatchimal is aside from knowing it's an extremely popular toy that's out of stock everywhere and there's some gigantic egg in the package, and I believe the toy is actually inside the egg. I think they're supposed to be mimetic, but I'm not entirely sure what function the toys do that makes them so popular. They retail for $50-60 and are selling for up to $200ish online. Fortunately, my kids don't even know what a Hatchimal is so I'm safe. My son is all about Legos & Minecraft and my daughter is all about Disney character dolls & costumes, all pretty easy to find on sale!

My sister in law picked up those for her kids for Christmas three months ago and they weren't easy to find then. Thankfully my sons are past the age of wanting those. Snowboards are easy to find.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
Not much of a shopper, but saw the Classic Nintendo would be out in limited edition at Bust Buy this morning for my son. The stupid games that sell for $60 but are on Ebay for over $200. Spoke to the Mrs. about getting in line crazy early or sticking to the routine. Chose the later as it was no big deal either way. Dropped my daughter at daycare and got in line just after 7am. I was third in line on a -10 degree morning. After 5 minutes, an employee came out and said all the tickets were claimed before 6am. I figured no big deal but was surprised people were able to show up claim a ticket, hope in their cars and leave. The person in front of me flipped out. Is this normal or should people have had to wait in line to claim the items when the store opened?

Seems like whatever rules the store sets up are what the rules are. Presumably the people who got tickets got up earlier than those of you who showed up at 7. So long as the store didn't make you stand in line for hours waiting only to tell you that you never had a chance, I'm not sure what complaint the guy could have. Now, if he'd been standing there for half an hour, then he has reason to be pissed, but only that they didn't put up a sign or something to let people know they were sold out already.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SOP these days for these things.

I also want one of those NES Classics too but am unwilling to pay more than retail and to go out of my way to try and get one. My plan is to wait until 6 months after Christmas (maybe even a year) and buy a used one from Gamestop or something for 1/3 off retail.

Many years back I somehow got my hands on a PS2 when they first came out a few weeks before Christmas from Amazon. Should've sold it for a profit but gave that as a gift to my Bro (owed him big time for some previous things so figured I'd get him something nice).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Dec 20, 16 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He claimed to have waited 20-30 minutes on hold the day before to talk to a manager who informed him that the policy was tickets would be handed out at 8am to the first 28 people in line and that tickets would not be handed out before hand. If this was the case, I could see him being upset as the store did something different. Part of me wonders that if he makes a big enough scene, he would be taken care of and if BB holds additional units for these type of complainers. I tend to go with the flow/ rules and not put up a fuss, but am continuously amazed at the results my wife gets with a short temper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
He claimed to have waited 20-30 minutes on hold the day before to talk to a manager who informed him that the policy was tickets would be handed out at 8am to the first 28 people in line and that tickets would not be handed out before hand. If this was the case, I could see him being upset as the store did something different. Part of me wonders that if he makes a big enough scene, he would be taken care of and if BB holds additional units for these type of complainers. I tend to go with the flow/ rules and not put up a fuss, but am continuously amazed at the results my wife gets with a short temper.

My wife does the same but rather with just asking and not a temper. I am a go by the rules kinda guy and don't get too worked up if I don't get something so I don't really push past the first denial in most cases. She isn't terribly pushy but she has no shame in asking for just about anything. IE asking if they have any extras and how she could get one. Seems to work out for her a lot of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're gonna get the classic Nintendo. Go on eBay and get the real one. Then you can buy whatever games you want instead of what is just preloaded.
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
something like this and Hatchimals that will be in stock everywhere within 6 weeks post-Xmas.

what's a hatchimal?

Related:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...20000-worth-of-them/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had a similar situation last Friday. She arrived at the store before it opened but sat in her car with kids (1 and 5) because it was very cold out. As soon as someone got in the line she and the kids got out of the car. It turns out they only had two and she was the third person in line.
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I love these people who try to corner the market on some crappy xmas toy. Gordon Gekko they ain't.
Quote Reply
Re: Black Friday/ Door Bust BS [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
If you're gonna get the classic Nintendo. Go on eBay and get the real one. Then you can buy whatever games you want instead of what is just preloaded.

For a shit ton more money than the $60 for 30 games that comes on the Classic.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:

Yeah, if they told him the policy was one thing, and then did something else, that sucks.

Slowguy

Quote Reply