Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave a several month's notice once back when I was a teacher. The only reason I did that was because they were building this engineering pilot in the school that I was going to teach because I had most of an engineering degree (at the time). I thought that they should know I wouldn't be returning so that they could prepare.

The principal was all smiles and thank you for letting us know, etc. and then completely threw me under the bus at my final review in order to try and score political points with the super intendant's office.

It seems that just about everyone I've talked to who has said that they once gave an extended notice in order to help their employers out has regretted it. As soon as you give them your notice, you represent the cause of their stress, losing money, or impacting their ability to advance, and they will start to resent you for it.

Quote:
Yup. I find myself asking why would I be loyal to any company? They would cut me in a heartbeat if it made sense.

I just gave my boss two weeks notice (I work for an external vendor in a company and just applied for a job in the company where I work), I wanted to give more than that but HR fiddled around for a few days and there's no way I was giving notice without seeing the contract first.

Anyway for some stupid reason part of me feels guilty about only giving two weeks.

The louder part says fuck that noise.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Our entire company has been offered the opportunity to apply for a voluntary severance program. but one of the stipulations is that your manager has to approve the severance (for staffing and other reasons). I would get 8 months + bonus.

Nothing wrong here, the company is the one who is offering, it is your managers duty to approve your request. I had the same situation occur in 2009, a lawyer friend of mine helped me draft a forceful letter, issue taken care of in 2 days.

Enjoyed 9 months of time off.

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
sch340 wrote:
H- wrote:

Any chance of having an affair with the boss' wife?

Good idea, but my boss is married to the job and is the antithesis of a triathlete. Which is one of the reasons I want to leave.

You gotta burn the ships.

Take a shit in his car.

fify
Last edited by: Wylde06: Dec 20, 16 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I gave a several month's notice once back when I was a teacher. The only reason I did that was because they were building this engineering pilot in the school that I was going to teach because I had most of an engineering degree (at the time). I thought that they should know I wouldn't be returning so that they could prepare.

The principal was all smiles and thank you for letting us know, etc. and then completely threw me under the bus at my final review in order to try and score political points with the super intendant's office.

It seems that just about everyone I've talked to who has said that they once gave an extended notice in order to help their employers out has regretted it. As soon as you give them your notice, you represent the cause of their stress, losing money, or impacting their ability to advance, and they will start to resent you for it.

That's a shitty way to run a workplace, but yeah, it seems like human nature.

The Navy is obviously different, but I have Sailors, junior officers mostly, who come into my office nervous because they've decided to leave the Navy after their obligation or want to transfer to a different community within the Navy (from ships to intell, for example). Of course, usually when they leave or transfer, it's before their normal scheduled rotation date, so it can put me in a bind. But that's my job (and my XO's job). To figure out how to work the people issues. I always tell those officers that I view part of my job as helping them be as successful as they can be. If that's at our command, ideally that's the goal. If it's in a different part of the Navy, that's good too. If it's as a civilian, that's fine as well. I don't want to send someone out the door with a bad taste in their mouth. They might decide to join the Reserves, or they might recommend the Navy to someone else or to their kids later on, etc. Ill try to sell them on staying, but if they decide to do something different, my job is to help them get what they need. However, I've seen lots of COs who don't view it that way.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:

That's a shitty way to run a workplace, but yeah, it seems like human nature.

The Navy is obviously different, but I have Sailors, junior officers mostly, who come into my office nervous because they've decided to leave the Navy after their obligation or want to transfer to a different community within the Navy (from ships to intell, for example). Of course, usually when they leave or transfer, it's before their normal scheduled rotation date, so it can put me in a bind. But that's my job (and my XO's job). To figure out how to work the people issues. I always tell those officers that I view part of my job as helping them be as successful as they can be. If that's at our command, ideally that's the goal. If it's in a different part of the Navy, that's good too. If it's as a civilian, that's fine as well. I don't want to send someone out the door with a bad taste in their mouth. They might decide to join the Reserves, or they might recommend the Navy to someone else or to their kids later on, etc. Ill try to sell them on staying, but if they decide to do something different, my job is to help them get what they need. However, I've seen lots of COs who don't view it that way.

Slowguy gets it.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never ever give notice
I always resign effective immediately ðŸ!
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
Never ever give notice
I always resign effective immediately ðŸ!

I have never been someplace where if they give notice they're allowed to stay (sole exception being retirement, and that was one old guy). Basically once you go in they say thanks, have a great two week vacation on us. They're system access is shut off and their accounts frozen. No offense is taken, just how things are.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not everywhere is like that.

My last day at my current job is today. I gave my notice the first or second week of November. They have kept me on to make certain everything is transitioned smoothly. Also, my new job wants me to cultivate the relationship with them and this company.

I have a friend who gave 4 months notice and is leaving his next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I don't understand severance.

Work at will and that's about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most times as a condition of receiving severance, you have to sign legal forms basically saying you won't sue them later for wrongful termination/discrimination or something related.

The severance pay is the carrot to try avoid or mitigate legal issues.

Quote Reply
Re: Convince my boss to give me severance [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that right course is going to be dependent on the individual situation and company involved.
When I first moved to the US from the UK I was leaving a small-mid size company I had worked for a number of years and had worked my way up to a position with a largish portfolio of customers. I knew that the transition would take time and had a good relationship with everyone - I gave 6 months notice and since I was leaving the country there was no animosity about moving to another company.

Move forward 10 years and the last company I left had become a toxic workplace and all the bosses I had any loyalty to had already jumped ship. I gave my 2 weeks notice while I was on vacation and then turned off my phone. Came back for 1 week and the owner finally came to see my at 4:45pm on my last Friday to discuss handover of projects - told him he had 15 minutes and I was out of there.

Felt comfortable with how I handled both situations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next