Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes an 11-speed cassette behave like a 1X 14-speed cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [arkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arkie wrote:
Dopers.Suck wrote:
Have you tried it out yet? Does syncro shift work??

Just on the workstand but yes it does work. You'll have to double click on the junction box to switch between custom settings.

I've done the programming for syncro mode and downloaded to the junction box. I've got the SMB2 battery internal. The system doesn't autoshift. What do you mean by double click the junction box (or link to a doc that describes this as the programming guide for syncro doesn't mention anything). Thanks.
Last edited by: fishgo: Mar 11, 17 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per the specs, synchronized shifting requires either BM-DN100 battery mount or BT-DN110 internal battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [arkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arkie wrote:
Did some maintenance yesterday and synchro shifting is now available to 6870 and 9070 as of Mar 9.
Which battery mounts / internal batteries and which junction boxes do you have in these set-ups? The specs are confusing, as even with BM-DN100 or BT-DN110 Shimano caveats "SC-M9050, SC-M9051 or SC-MT800 is required for synchronized shift", which doesn't seem to be the case anymore with the 3.0.0 derailleur firmware.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
arkie wrote:
Did some maintenance yesterday and synchro shifting is now available to 6870 and 9070 as of Mar 9.
Which battery mounts / internal batteries and which junction boxes do you have in these set-ups? The specs are confusing, as even with BM-DN100 or BT-DN110 Shimano caveats "SC-M9050, SC-M9051 or SC-MT800 is required for synchronized shift", which doesn't seem to be the case anymore with the 3.0.0 derailleur firmware.

Those are referencing syncro for MTB shifting.

For the road the only thing you need, hardware wise, to enable syncro shift is the DN100 internal battery or external battery mount. Basically, the new battery structure has more circuitry in it to enable the extra processing power needed to handle syncro shift. Once you have updated your internal battery or external battery mount you simply need to download the latest 3.0.0 firmware and you will have syncro shift available to you.

I wouldn't get too excited. I have tried it and disabled it before I'd finished my first ride with it. I like full manual control, but to each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a dumb question, but can you have BOTH semi-syncro and syncro working at the same time? Or once you have full syncro shift up do the front derailleur shifter buttons do nothing anymore?

In syncro, can you pre-emptively shift chainrings, or do you have to shift the rear until front derailleur shifts by itself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone needs to update their battery/battery mount, competitive cyclist has 20% off everything. It's rare to have shimano stuff on sale. I just ordered the new battery mount to try this out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who tried it, what did you like/dislike about it? Is synchro shifting fast and crisp enough?
I'd love to have pro and con opinions on how it feels before deciding on an uograde (only the battery and a new d-fly for my 6870)

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [FranR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FranR wrote:
For those who tried it, what did you like/dislike about it? Is synchro shifting fast and crisp enough?
I'd love to have pro and con opinions on how it feels before deciding on an uograde (only the battery and a new d-fly for my 6870)

Don't get me wrong, syncro shift is fast and very crisp - better than I can do manually in fact. The problem I had is that I don't always want to shift the rear cogs when I shift rings. Coming to the top of a hill and about to go down quickly and pick up speed quickly, I don't want the rear to downshift when I shift into the big ring. Doing that only makes me have to upshift the rear one or two more cogs than I otherwise would need to do. Doing it fully manual, I can tailor what I need for any given situation.

It's not a big deal. Some may well like it and I am sure it will come in handy on TT bikes when one wants to use only one shifter to change gears and I have no doubt that syncro is much more applicable for MTB bikes, which is why it was introduced in that arena before the road.

To each his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid question, the BM-DN100 is the only external battery mount right? So if I have an external battery mount with DA 9070 I just need the firmware upgrade correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Stupid question, the BM-DN100 is the only external battery mount right? So if I have an external battery mount with DA 9070 I just need the firmware upgrade correct?

No, 9070 would have originally come with the BMR2 external battery mount. The BM-DN100 external mount is new. If your battery mount is more than six months old then you most likely have the older mount that will not support syncro shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, 9070 would have originally come with the BMR2 external battery mount. The BM-DN100 external mount is new. If your battery mount is more than six months old then you most likely have the older mount that will not support syncro shift.

Ok. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the D-Fly unit needed in order for synchro/semi-synchro to work? Or is the D-fly purely for upgrading firmware and sending Di2 info to the bike computer?

I'm wondering if a bike bought this month (May 2017, Giant Propel) with Ultegra Di2 which presumably has up to date firmware will already come with the S1 and S2 modes prepared in the system or if it needs to first be activated via etube either through D-fly and the app, or via the computer etube?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JVanderveen wrote:
Is the D-Fly unit needed in order for synchro/semi-synchro to work? Or is the D-fly purely for upgrading firmware and sending Di2 info to the bike computer?

I'm wondering if a bike bought this month (May 2017, Giant Propel) with Ultegra Di2 which presumably has up to date firmware will already come with the S1 and S2 modes prepared in the system or if it needs to first be activated via etube either through D-fly and the app, or via the computer etube?

Thanks in advance.

You do not need the D-fly unit to enable syncro-shift, only a new battery (if using internal) or new battery mount (if using an external battery). I don't know the answer to the second question. You should hook up your bike to E-Tube and find out. Some of the components on your new Giant might have shipped from Shimano to Giant as much as six months ago, which would have pre-dated the updates to the E-Tube software that enabled syncro.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JVanderveen wrote:
It's just for the BT communications with the E-Tube phone app and ANT+ communications with bike computers. Not needed for syncrho shift to work.

Quote:
Hard to say for sure, but I wouldn't assume a newly purchased bike has the latest firmware in the various Di2 parts. I recently purchased the new 9150 shifters, and had to upgrade the firmware after installation. So it's worth doing the E-Tube connection to check firmware versions.

If you don't have the cable for e-tube connection and want to check if synchro-shifting is available on your bike, you can tell by activating the status display on the junction box. Press and hold a shift lever button, or simultaneously press both shift buttons on a shift lever. The lights on the junction box will first show you battery status (solid green, flashing green, or red), then they will show you the current shift mode (sold red+green = manual shift, double blink red+green = S1/semi-synchro, and triple-blink red+green = S2/full-synchro).

You can change shift mode by double-pressing the button on the junction. This can be a little finnicky to get the timing right, but if it works you'll get the red+green light indicating the new shift mode.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
You can change shift mode by double-pressing the button on the junction. This can be a little finnicky to get the timing right, but if it works you'll get the red+green light indicating the new shift mode.

This may be a dumb question, but I can't find a user manual anywhere that says how to shift the chain ring manually (which I presume is how semi-synchro is supposed to work). Is there a magic button/button combination/prayer/sacrifice needed to do so? This is with the new single button levers and new bar ends.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 synchro shift - when? [m_reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not figured out a way yet to manually shift the FD in a current 8050/9150 single-button TT Di2 setup. The annoying question is “why do you want to?” I have not ridden mine outside yet, but I have a lot of miles with a friend on synchro shift. The whole synchro thing can be tuned to favor big or small, and you could have two shift modes with different synchro settings for flat vs hilly courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
Don't get me wrong, syncro shift is fast and very crisp - better than I can do manually in fact. The problem I had is that I don't always want to shift the rear cogs when I shift rings. Coming to the top of a hill and about to go down quickly and pick up speed quickly, I don't want the rear to downshift when I shift into the big ring. Doing that only makes me have to upshift the rear one or two more cogs than I otherwise would need to do. Doing it fully manual, I can tailor what I need for any given situation.

x2

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next