Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Just distilling your point down and then applying to a real world situation

As usual, you completely missed the point altogether. Probably due to lack of effort.

NM
Last edited by: windywave: Dec 19, 16 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

As usual, you completely missed the point altogether. Probably due to lack of effort.

As much as I hear you say that, I think you might consider doing a better job of making your point, or picking topics that have a point you are capable of making.

I do want to compliment you on your ability to know what others are thinking even when direct evidence contradicts your insight.

Did you bother reading the thread? I made a point. Windy misrepresented that point, and claimed to have distilled it down.

Knowing what others are thinking doesn't have anything to do with this exchange. It was my point to begin with. No mind reading required.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

As much as I hear you say that, I think you might consider doing a better job of making your point, or picking topics that have a point you are capable of making.

I do want to compliment you on your ability to know what others are thinking even when direct evidence contradicts your insight.

Did you bother reading the thread? I made a point. Windy misrepresented that point, and claimed to have distilled it down.

Knowing what others are thinking doesn't have anything to do with this exchange. It was my point to begin with. No mind reading required.

Misinterpreted would be a better choice of word, if you disagree with my distillation.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Misinterpreted would be a better choice of word, if you disagree with my distillation.

No, I think misrepresented is the correct choice. There's no fucking way you thought I was saying it's ok to assume blacks are criminals because of their skin color.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
I saw Colin Powell at a business event a few years ago.
He made it clear he would never run for president.
Sadly everything he had to say that day pointed toward him being a good President.

From a total outsider's perspective he always seemed like he had his head screwed on right and I shared that sentiment.

But with Disney resurrecting the Star Wars franchise he will likely be too busy voicing Darth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

No, I think misrepresented is the correct choice. There's no fucking way you thought I was saying it's ok to assume blacks are criminals because of their skin color.

No but I did think you were saying sometimes it is okay to use race as a criteria and sometimes it is bad. I just extended it to a logical situation for analysis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

No but I did think you were saying sometimes it is okay to use race as a criteria and sometimes it is bad. I just extended it to a logical situation for analysis.

Yeah, you chose, deliberately I think, a pretty shitty example. And no, you didn't offer it for analysis. You tossed it out there and told me it was incoherent nonsense.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

Dude, for the most part you're a smart guy. However, that is unequivocally a stupid statement. Voting for a person because they are of a specific race is racist. And no, I'm not interested in entertaining what you, BarryP or stupid swimmer guy have for justifications. Voting based on race is just plain wrong PERIOD.

I think I see where Slowguy is coming from. I bet he'd probably agree that voting based on race is wrong. But voting based on race is not necessarily racist if you go with the commonly accepted definition of the word. If CP voted for Obama because he was black versus voting against McCain because he was white doesn't quite qualify as racist.

I think race is a poor "qualification" upon which to base your vote. I don't think it's necessarily racist to think that the country needs to have a minority President as a symbol that we're ready to move past certain issues, and to show minorities that they aren't trapped in a whites only world.

Perhaps, but it shows a particularly inane viewpoint that picking a President to "move past certain issues" rather than for their leadership ability or any organizational skills. The last 8 years have revealed that problem in my opinion. As a Naval Officer, would you rather see a good ship driver or a token tossed for diversity's sake as a CO? What makes someone like CP believe that leading the US is any less important?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, you chose, deliberately I think, a pretty shitty example. And no, you didn't offer it for analysis. You tossed it out there and told me it was incoherent nonsense.

I did choose deliberately an example using extreme contrasts to demonstrate I think your point is intellectually incongruent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

I did choose deliberately an example using extreme contrasts to demonstrate I think your point is intellectually incongruent

It's not incongruent at all. I proposed that it's sometimes ok to make a decision based on race, and sometimes not. You chose an example that clearly fits in the second category and tried to pass it off as if I was claiming it belonged in the first. It's typical bullshit from someone who can't or doesn't want to make an actual argument, but just really wants to act like a dick.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks Like Trump is Our New President

May we live in interesting times! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

It's not incongruent at all. I proposed that it's sometimes ok to make a decision based on race, and sometimes not. You chose an example that clearly fits in the second category and tried to pass it off as if I was claiming it belonged in the first. It's typical bullshit from someone who can't or doesn't want to make an actual argument, but just really wants to act like a dick.

Fine when is it okay to make a judgement based solely on race? (feel free to omit solely if that is too limiting)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Fine when is it okay to make a judgement based solely on race? (feel free to omit solely if that is too limiting)

Category A - it's ok to make a decision based on race

Guy goes online to an internet dating website. He's black, and he wants to date black girls. He clicks the box that indicates that he only wants to see dating profiles of black women.

Guy is a salesman for hair products designed for African Americans. He chooses to market his product only on BET and in predominantly black neighborhoods, based solely on the fact that he will primarily reach black audiences.

Guy is conducting a survey in which he needs to get the opinions of X number of people from various different racial and/or ethnic groups. He chooses his next respondent based solely on the fact that he needs more black respondents.

Category B - it's probably not ok to make a decision based on race, but it's not racist to do so

Guy decides to vote for a political candidate because he thinks the country needs to see a minority leader to help heal the racial divide and provide an example for minorities to show how far the country has come

Guy starts a conversation with a new acquaintance an assumes the new guy is interested in rap music because he's black

Category C - it's not ok to make a decision based on race, and it is racist

Guy votes for an African American political candidate because he's Black, and fuck whitey, and it's time for Blacks to take control so we can put white America in its place

Guy is recruiting athletes for a team, and chooses a black athlete over a white solely because he thinks blacks are genetically just better athletes

This stuff takes just a small amount of ability to recognize nuance, and that the world is, in general, not black or white (no pun intended), but rather various shades of gray. Something can be ok sometimes and not ok other times based on a whole variety of circumstances and specifics. A bad thing can be racist sometimes and not racist other times, again based on a variety of specifics.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not facetious, but doesn't Powells vote fall into category C? (removing the fuck whitey for decorum's sake)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
This is not facetious, but doesn't Powells vote fall into category C? (removing the fuck whitey for decorum's sake)

No, I don't think so. I think it falls directly in category B, based on what I know of Sec Powell's general character, which is why I used it as the model for the first example I provided in that category.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Oh my gawd. That is so spot on. I'll be forwarding this to a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Sadly everything he had to say that day pointed toward him being a good President.

From a total outsider's perspective he always seemed like he had his head screwed on right and I shared that sentiment.

But with Disney resurrecting the Star Wars franchise he will likely be too busy voicing Darth.

Not to mention those credit card commercials. What's in your wallet?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

Maybe he will never run because the vetting process might expose who he really is and his carefully crafted persona of Mr. Levelheaded and Rminently Qualified will come crashing down.

Maybe he's the Tiger Woods of D.C.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like Trump is Our New President [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Wow! I've been laughing for 5 minutes straight! Epic! That's "Best Ever" of it's kind, material!

. . . but I have to ask was there Drug Testing? :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 20, 16 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

No, I don't think so. I think it falls directly in category B, based on what I know of Sec Powell's general character, which is why I used it as the model for the first example I provided in that category.

But the sole reason he is voting is race based regardless of qualification in the category B example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

But the sole reason he is voting is race based regardless of qualification in the category B example.

Maybe, or maybe he views the two candidates as equal, or maybe he views a white candidate as slightly more qualified except for the value of having a minority in office, etc.

Doesn't really matter. The point is that category B isn't motivated by racism. It's not motivated by, "race X is better than race Y."

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Maybe, or maybe he views the two candidates as equal, or maybe he views a white candidate as slightly more qualified except for the value of having a minority in office, etc.

Doesn't really matter. The point is that category B isn't motivated by racism. It's not motivated by, "race X is better than race Y."

But it is since the vote is cast because the minority candidate is a minority. By definition your scenario leads to a race decison based outcome
Quote Reply

Prev Next